REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Brown Rice that taste like White Rice (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706058-brown-rice-taste-like-white-rice.html)

willystyle 10-29-2015 08:43 AM

Brown Rice that taste like White Rice

Does it exist? If so, brand and type? I prefer Jasmine. Looking for a rice that has the health benefits of the brown, but tastes more like white.

Tried so many different brands and types of brown rice and they all taste nothing like white rice. I can't put up with the taste, smell, and texture.

But I want more fiber in my diet, so TIA!

SkinnyPupp 10-29-2015 09:47 AM

What do you think are the health benefits of brown rice?

willystyle 10-29-2015 10:23 AM

More fibre, more nutritious.

SkinnyPupp 10-29-2015 10:37 AM

Fiber difference is negligible (brown has about 1% more fiber than white). "more nutritious" you have to define what you think is more nutritious. Brown will have more minerals and a niacin. Both have a negligible amount of other vitamins - it's not like rice is super nutritious to begin with, brown or white or whatever.

Enjoy your food and enjoy your life, just because something tastes gross, doesn't mean it's that much healthier :thumbs:

Need more fiber? Eat green veggies! They have WAY more fiber and "nutrition" than any type of rice, so you can enjoy white rice again and have a healthier diet overall :thumbs:

Hondaracer 10-29-2015 11:43 AM

Yea, never get why people get brown rice sushi..fuck if you're eating sushi eat it as it is

knight604 10-29-2015 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8694232)
Yea, never get why people get brown rice sushi..fuck if you're eating sushi eat it as it is

:rukidding:

http://covermyfb.com/media/covers/18335-oh-god-why.jpg

heisenberg 10-29-2015 12:18 PM

is brown rice a "complex carb"? isnt it suppose to take longer to digest, so you feel fuller, longer?

willystyle 10-29-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heisenberg (Post 8694247)
is brown rice a "complex carb"? isnt it suppose to take longer to digest, so you feel fuller, longer?

Yes. I'm looking into brown rice primarily for the increased fiber.

dragondragon99 10-29-2015 02:17 PM

feiber and poo. fcuk i feel like eating a big fat brownie

Gnomes 10-29-2015 04:13 PM

Brown rice has a lower glycemic index vs white rice (50 vs 89). That means it takes longer to burn which means good if you want to avoid diabetes.

However.... brown rice has double the amount of arsenic compared to white rice (most arsenic came from crap such as pesticides stuck in the husk of the bran). Arsenic does increase the chance of diabetes and cancer significantly.

If you must do brown rice, make sure you wash your rice well. Washing the brown rice will decrease arsenic.

320icar 10-29-2015 05:05 PM

Or just eat whatever rice you want. Still heal other than chips or French fries or mashed potatoes and shit. Just make healthier choices for food over all... If you're at the point in you're fitness that 1% more fibre would help, you'd probably have a nutritionist :p

6793026 10-29-2015 10:10 PM

i remember a lot of people wanted mineral water for nutrients or drink vitamin water.... same thing... go eat a mofo apple.

mineral water is nothing compared to an apple.

SkinnyPupp 10-29-2015 10:33 PM

Brown Rice has like 1g of fiber per 100g... It's pointless if that's your goal.

Also glycemic index is such an overrated thing in diet. If you're not diabetic, it doesn't really matter... Your body turns it to sugar eventually anyway, starting from the moment it hits your saliva.

If you want to feel more satiated and eat less throughout the day, increase your protein and fat intake. Especially naturally solid fat, from meat.

Low GI carbs might technically "take longer" than high, but in the end it doesn't really matter, sugar is sugar. Eat it for what that provides you, don't worry about negligible amounts of fiber and glycemic index.

Liquid_o2 10-30-2015 11:40 AM

Brown rice does have slightly more minerals and nutrients than white rice, but if you really don't like the flavor of brown rice, just get those nutrients from somewhere else. I prefer brown rice, but I can't eat it plain. I mix lentils or beans in it and then top it with olive oil.

jtrinh 10-30-2015 09:24 PM

Since no one else is going to suggest shit...
Try a japanese/short grain brown rice. Instead of going straight from white to brown, try a haiga mai. Haiga has the husk and most of the bran milled off, leaving the germ. Cook it as you would white rice and it usually tastes the same.
Try these. The Temaki brand is a lot more expensive but tastes way better.

For brown rice, try these. I like em both. Currently eating Hukkura.
Follow the cooking instructions on the bags.

willystyle 12-12-2015 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrinh (Post 8694847)
Since no one else is going to suggest shit...
Try a japanese/short grain brown rice. Instead of going straight from white to brown, try a haiga mai. Haiga has the husk and most of the bran milled off, leaving the germ. Cook it as you would white rice and it usually tastes the same.
Try these. The Temaki brand is a lot more expensive but tastes way better.

For brown rice, try these. I like em both. Currently eating Hukkura.
Follow the cooking instructions on the bags.

I am eating Genmai right now. It's comparable, if not better than Jasmine white rice. Where do you buy? How much you usually pay?

I tried looking for the Hukkura. Where did you buy yours?

Nlkko 12-12-2015 09:23 PM

tried multiple time. could never got used to brown rice. it's like chewing grass,

willystyle 12-12-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 8706899)
tried multiple time. could never got used to brown rice. it's like chewing grass,

Then you've obviously never tried high-quality premium japanese brown rice cause it tastes NOTHING like western brown rice, but also cost more than twice as much as jasmine white rice.

SkinnyPupp 12-12-2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8706902)
Then you've obviously never tried high-quality premium japanese brown rice cause it tastes NOTHING like western brown rice, but also cost more than twice as much as jasmine white rice.

That's because it's for all intents and purposes, plain white rice :fuckthatshit:

willystyle 12-12-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8706915)
That's because it's for all intents and purposes, plain white rice :fuckthatshit:

Like everything in life, the better quality product is worth more so ultimately you will pay more.