REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 11-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Noise Cancelling Headphones for the office

What do you guys suggest? Hoping not to break the bank, so looking for the best pair that offers value for money. I plan on using them at the office mostly to block out conversations, typing and street noise (I sit by the window) and would take them on the occasional flight once in a while.
Advertisement
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
I stand by my Sennheisers. Earbud style, that I use for the gym. I can easily wear them with no discomfort for 2-3 hours. Not sure how 8+ hours would be though.

Also depends on if you want Earbuds or Over-Ear headphones.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
private modder

Good question. Over-the-ear is preferred. I have a hard time finding earbuds that fit me properly. The only ones that I have found so far are my Bose sport headphones. I know they make a NC version of those, but Bose and Monster products are outside my preferred budget (less than $200).

I see the Sony ones are significantly less expensive. Anybody have experience with those?

Tempted to pick up a set of these:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/sony-noi.../6000189452770

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-noi...&skuId=8636734

Last edited by Eff-1; 11-02-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
i have the bose qc25 and i dont know if its the best out there or anything but if i could go back i'd probably choose the in ear ones.
one of the reasons i bought them is for airplane travel and when you have big cans on your head its sometimes annoying to try to lean into your headrest.
also when you're going to a country where your belongings have to be minded extra carefully, its nice to have something a little more discreet.
i also wear them on the skytrain a lot and if i had the bud versions i wouldnt have to carry a bag around with me every time, i could just slip them into a pouch and pocket them.

say if anyone in this thread wants to trade their in ear ones for my over ear ones let me know haha
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
I have the MDRZX110NC from Costco.

Great headphone and cancel out a lot of noises for my TPAC trips. But I definitely wouldn't be wearing them for 8+ hours.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I'm using the QC25's as well for flying. Super comfortable and I've worn them for 10-12 hour flights. I frequently sleep with them on during flights (not plugged into anything) just for the peace and quiet. I've found in general however, noise cancelling headphones work best on constant noise. (i.e. the roar of a jet engine or probably the street noise) In terms of blocking out people talking, it'll probably work no better than any other non NC headphone. You're basically looking for noise isolation as opposed to noise cancelling.

I'd probably suggest earbuds with foam tips that mould to your ears if you want to block out noise. Try to find a decent pair of earbuds and find yourself some foam tips for them. (I like the Comply tips - they make them for a bunch of different headphone models) That will probably do more for blocking out noise than noise cancelling headphones.

The only downside to this is that:
1. Ear canal might get a little sweaty so you might have to take them off from time to time.
2. If you use it for flying, don't put them on until you've reached cruising altitude because the air pressure change is gonna hurt your ears.

On ear headphones I've found don't do noise cancelling or noise isolation very well so I wouldn't suggest those unless you really don't like earbuds and want something smaller than an around ear headphone.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

shure se215
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Good question. Over-the-ear is preferred. I have a hard time finding earbuds that fit me properly. The only ones that I have found so far are my Bose sport headphones. I know they make a NC version of those, but Bose and Monster products are outside my preferred budget (less than $200).

I see the Sony ones are significantly less expensive. Anybody have experience with those?

Tempted to pick up a set of these:

SONY Noise Canceling Headphones, MDRZX110NC | Walmart.ca

Sony NoiseCanceling OvertheEar Headphones Black MDRZX110NCB - Best Buy
I have these. They don't work nearly as well as earbud style - a lot of noise still goes right through the cans.

If I press them against my ears, they are more effective though. So maybe they just aren't tight enough. There's nothing you can do about that though.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
wait for the USA Thanksgiving/Black Friday sales...I'm sure some Canadian shops will have sales also to compete.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:25 AM   #10
I STILL don't get it

Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 80s if you can get them on sale, they don't have active cancellation but they do block out a lot of noise. If you're OK with IEMs most of the Etymotics are straight up like ear plugs. Something like the HF5 model, amazing audio quality (neutral though, less bass that most people would expect) if you can deal with the fact that they go deep into your ear. On the slightly less pricey front, the Klipsch IEMs are pretty comfortable and block out a fair amount of noise. Not sure what the most recent ones would be...the S6 probably.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2015, 02:38 PM   #11
private modder

My ears have a weird shape to them and unfortunately IEMs never stay in place-- they just fall out unless they have an extra piece to secure them (like my Bose soundsport or Monster iSport)
Old 11-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
got ear buds from my samsung s5, noise cancelling. best headphones ever..

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #13
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
ive had my qc15's for over 5 years.

use for travel, and at home. the new QC25's are the current replacement.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote