REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Not signing a ticket (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706175-not-signing-ticket.html)

yameen 11-05-2015 09:57 PM

Not signing a ticket

Just curious. I got a ticket today for entering a truck ramp. First time near coquitlam and I just followed my GPS which screwed me over. He issued me a ticket, asked me to sign the ticket and I asked if I could have a warning. Then he got angry and said "that's okay you don't need to sign. Have a good day." I'm a good citizen and said I never said I wouldn't sign it. But he wouldn't let me. I'm worried if there are any consequences of not signing? Thanks.

Cop was such a dick.

BoostedBB6 11-05-2015 10:04 PM

Nope, no problem not signing it.
Crappy to hear he was being a dick tho.

XplicitLuder 11-05-2015 10:39 PM

how do you not see the truck ramp..even if your GPS tells you to go that way. You'd think you would have better judgement lol should be fine tho, but maybe one of the cops here can chime in

sho_bc 11-06-2015 05:05 AM

If your GPS directed you to drive across the river without a bridge being there, would you be one of the many who blindly followed the directions? Roads and signs change, GPS maps are often behind on all the changes that happen. Thats why its important to pay attention to the road and the signs in front of you.

No, you're not required to sign a ticket. There is an affidavit of service on the back of the officer's copy that he completes.

Gumby 11-06-2015 12:01 PM

Just curious - why have a spot to sign if it is not required? It only adds to the confusion for the person being served the ticket.

Soundy 11-06-2015 01:23 PM

[quote=XplicitLuder;8696635]how do you not see the truck ramp..even if your GPS tells you to go that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 8696676)
Roads and signs change, GPS maps are often behind on all the changes that happen. Thats why its important to pay attention to the road and the signs in front of you.

The only truck-only ramp I know of in Coquitlam (or just about anywhere in the LM) is the ones connecting United Blvd. to Hwy. 1, and those are brand new with the PMH1 project. They only just opened in the last month or two, I'm surprised they'd even be on a GPS already.

I'm thinking the GPS was probably routing him properly but he turned in the wrong place - the one from Hwy. 1 west to United splits left at the same place the ramp splits two lanes right to Lougheed eastbound, and goes straight(ish) onto Lougheed westbound, his GPS probably told him to stay left onto Lougheed but he went TOO FAR left and down the truck ramp.

Urrtoast 11-06-2015 02:45 PM

Maybe he didnt see the spot to sign like the truck ramp....
Either way signature or not you got a ticket plain and simple, Pay it sooner then later and they will give you a little discount.
:o)

snails 11-06-2015 04:22 PM

its funny that you posted this because gps took me to this route also today and i didnt even notice the sign till the last moment and had to illegally change lanes in the intersection do avoid illegally going to the exit

i go to the area often and usually gps would direct me another way.. so something changed recently

for those curious its one sign on the light post above. in my case i was behind a truck and couldnt see it till the last second but its very easy to miss and im sure cops will hang out there often for revenue purposes

hchang 11-06-2015 04:53 PM

My gps tells me to make u turns... Common sense to not take everything so literally

snails 11-06-2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 8696854)
My gps tells me to make u turns... Common sense to not take everything so literally

i think everyone is missing the point. gps guides you on routes you are unfamiliar with. like OP, it took me somewhere i wasnt familiar with. of course if it told me to do 100mph and drive thru a school you wouldnt do it but its pretty reasonable to follow it on telling you to turn left or right at an intersection.

dw OP, at least someone understand what you are talking about

:alonehappy:

yameen 11-06-2015 05:23 PM

i'm not trying to get out of the ticket. i was just worried about the repercussions of not signing the violation ticket and since it seems like there isn't any, i'll just pay within the month.

as snails has mentioned, i have never driven that street before and it was dark. it was a quick right turn then left turn, and by the time i took a left turn onto the ramp i noticed the sign too late. i would have no clue how to get out if it wasn't for the gps but it was an honest mistake. too bad the cop seemed like he needed to meet his quota. probably my first violation in the last 10 years. thanks for the info guys.

zulutango 11-06-2015 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yameen (Post 8696616)
Just curious. I got a ticket today for entering a truck ramp. First time near coquitlam and I just followed my GPS which screwed me over. He issued me a ticket, asked me to sign the ticket and I asked if I could have a warning. Then he got angry and said "that's okay you don't need to sign. Have a good day." I'm a good citizen and said I never said I wouldn't sign it. But he wouldn't let me. I'm worried if there are any consequences of not signing? Thanks.

Cop was such a dick.

And that was the total conversation involved of course. Then he got angry and said...that's okay you don't need to sign. Have a good day. I can see how disturbing that must be to be threatened and browbeaten like that. You were really being oppressed. All that nasty stuff because you wanted him to tear up the valid VT he wrote and go back and issue you a warning. I hope you have filed a complaint against him? What is this world coming too...:QQ:.

quasi 11-07-2015 09:24 AM

OP in a nutshell.

meme405 11-07-2015 01:30 PM

LOL one of my co-workers has the greatest story of GPS telling you to U-turn.

He was driving in calgary, in like a snowstorm, there was nobody on the street, and the GPS asked him to make a u-turn. Didn't really know what was going on, so he safely turned around, and was driving back up the street. He makes it like 1/2 a block when a cop spots him and pulls him over.

Turns out GPS told him to U-turn and drive back up a one way street. It was a big street like seymour or whatever he said.

Long story short - Don't just blindly follow your GPS.

jeedee 11-07-2015 01:36 PM

Speaking of 'GPS telling you to U-turn story" was driving on the highway and took the wrong exit and GPS told me to make a U-turn...on the highway :seriously:

No i did not blindly follow my GPS and do that :fuckthatshit:

There was an "opening" to do the U-turn with no oncoming cars and was late at night but......... :fuckthatshit: :heckno:

So yes, don't just blindly follow your gps :lol

nns 11-23-2015 07:46 PM

Not a single person has explained why they ask to sign the ticket when it's not necessary.

Soundy 11-23-2015 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 8701782)
Not a single person has explained why they ask to sign the ticket when it's not necessary.

Because I said so. :accepted:

sho_bc 11-24-2015 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 8696676)
No, you're not required to sign a ticket. There is an affidavit of service on the back of the officer's copy that he completes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 8701782)

I alluded to it here. It saves the officer from having to fill out the affidavit of service on the back.

TEF3 11-24-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8696902)
And that was the total conversation involved of course. Then he got angry and said...that's okay you don't need to sign. Have a good day. I can see how disturbing that must be to be threatened and browbeaten like that. You were really being oppressed. All that nasty stuff because you wanted him to tear up the valid VT he wrote and go back and issue you a warning. I hope you have filed a complaint against him? What is this world coming too...:QQ:.

What a dick.

zulutango 11-24-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEF3 (Post 8701894)
What a dick.

Tell me something I haven't been called before :)

GabAlmighty 11-24-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8701967)

An orangutan

TEF3 11-24-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8701967)

Well if you don't quack like a duck, you won't be called a duck.

zulutango 11-25-2015 09:41 AM

My most memorable moment was being called something in first nations language as she called for the Creator to strike me down, slay my family and curse me for eternity. The reason....I was arresting her abusive boyfriend for yet again, pounding her into a bloody pile in her house. He was arrested, released and beat her up again. This time someone else arrested him.

zulutango 11-25-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEF3 (Post 8701981)
Well if you don't quack like a duck, you won't be called a duck.

That was dUck wasn't it????:alonehappy:

sebberry 11-29-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yameen (Post 8696616)
Just curious. I got a ticket today for entering a truck ramp. First time near coquitlam and I just followed my GPS which screwed me over.

This is why self-driving cars are going to be so much fun...