REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Does anyone have a Robotic Vacuum? Would you buy one again? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706212-does-anyone-have-robotic-vacuum-would-you-buy-one-again.html)

PeanutButter 11-09-2015 11:04 AM

Does anyone have a Robotic Vacuum? Would you buy one again?

Hey RS,

My mom's birthday is coming up and i'm thinking of buying her a robotic vacuum.

Does anyone have one or have experience with it?

I'm leaning toward the Neato Signature Walmart Link
or the Neato XV 21 Neato XV21

I'm leaning towards the Neato because of the cost, reviews, and smart mapping.

Thanks

meme405 11-09-2015 11:05 AM

Do you have a dog?

Inb4:

http://i.imgur.com/IXxD6Ib.jpg

4444 11-09-2015 11:52 AM

They don't work (pick up debris, etc.) as well as conventional vacuums.

Don't waste ur money

Hondaracer 11-09-2015 12:02 PM

I've heard some people talk about the higher end ones, roomba etc like its the greatest thing they've ever bought.

I have a feeling it would work alright in a condo or place with continuous laminate flooring but not well with varrying surfaces

murd0c 11-09-2015 12:10 PM

You are better off spending the money and getting her a good Dyson that will actually work.

If anything get her a Roomba not a cheap brand like you are looking at

iRobot: Roomba Robots

Dragon-88 11-09-2015 12:14 PM

My mom uses a Roomba, batteries always die out(had 3 replaced under warranty). Vac suction isn't that strong. I feel these devices are more of a Marketing thing for people who are to lazy to vacuum. I mean they did first start out on As seen on TV, and we all know how good those items work out.

If your mom really dislikes vacuuming then go ahead. If she's OCD on cleanliness then I would stay away. We even have the Floor washing version which is also a PITA to use. I myself use a Dyson.

Both devices have been replaced once under warranty due to something breaking on the machine. So the warranty is good to say the least.

Acethriller 11-09-2015 12:28 PM

I have a Roomba, no issues with the batteries. As others have stated, vacuum power is obviously not as strong compared to a conventional vacuum, it also takes a while longer to get the job done, but you're not doing the work.

It's good for more of a maintenance vacuum to keep the floors cleaner for longer, it can also go under hard to reach places such as under the couch or bed. A conventional vacuum may still be required once in a while but can be used a lot less often. Definitely makes the job easier.

Urrtoast 11-09-2015 12:39 PM

Isnt a Roomba for cat enjoyment.

EndLeSS8 11-09-2015 01:15 PM

I have an bobi by Bobsweep

It's awesome, really like it

Robot Vacuum bObi by bObsweep - bObi, the automatic floor cleaner

LuHua 11-09-2015 01:18 PM

Have a Roomba at home, and well...it works. Not the strongest suction, but no issues with it either. Have to pull out the central hose once in a while to get the tighter spots, and the steam cleaner once a year or so, but the Roomba works for the most part.

Presto 11-09-2015 01:21 PM

We bought a Roomba 761 a few months ago. I wanted the 800-series, but couldn't justify the significant added cost. It is an awesome little machine. I call it 'Jeeves'. It primarily does all the hardwood and tile, and one of the bedrooms. It has virtual walls to restrict it from areas, like the top of a staircase. We let it run when we go out.

It's been a great little machine, and has eliminated sweeping, There were some things to learn when first using it. You may want to move obstacles that it can't get through or under. Also, it doesn't like cords or loose mats. If it gets snagged, it'll just keep trying to go until the batteries die. That being said, the batteries take a really long time to die. I came back after 4 hours to find it jammed on a bathmat. The power still sounded strong.

It's awesome when the job is complete. The Roomba will line up with the charging station and dock with it. Then, it'll play it's victory tune.

PeanutButter 11-09-2015 04:10 PM

So I decided to pull the trigger on the Neato 70e.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/multimedia/pro...6/10346744.jpg
Neato 70e - Bestbuy

I was looking at the roomba's and the b0b, but found that this Neato was the way to go, based on reviews and comparisons.

I'll update the thread with my review after a few weeks of use with it. I'm excited. My mom's kitchen floor is always a mess because she does a lot of cooking, so I hope this will help. I'm really excited to see it in action.

jasonturbo 11-09-2015 05:14 PM

I have a dyson and a roomba, our loft is entirely hardwood floors, turning the roomba lose really keeps the pet hair under control and requires no real effort.

I wouldn't think a roomba would do amazing on carpet, but on hard surfaces it's pretty good.

IMASA 11-09-2015 05:23 PM

Life lesson for the guys who aren't married yet.

I wanted to buy a cheaper model Roomba and a cheap vacuum. Wife wanted to buy a $600 Dyson.

We went with the Dyson, cuz happy wife happy life. Now the wife does all the vacuuming without giving me shit. Best money I ever spent.

winson604 11-09-2015 05:45 PM

^^
Lol same boat. My wife hates cleaning and me finally having enough of manually picking up her hair with a kleenex everyday made me spend 400 to get a Dyson. Now I see her clean daily with that thing.

Gnomes 11-09-2015 05:58 PM

I got a roomba and we dont use it. It bumps into dining chairs, table legs, etc and would get stuck there. We just gave up on it. If we were to lift the chairs up, we might as well swifter and sweep everything up. Everything done in 5 minutes by hand once a week or so

Presto 11-09-2015 06:09 PM

For those posting their Roomba experiences, it would really help to post what model you are talking about. Technology moves fast. A shitty Roomba yesterday could be the Roomba that cleans corners, and gives you a BJ. It helps to know!