REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:37 PM   #26
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

unfortunately, none of what you said is true.
Advertisement
frost91 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,717 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frost91 View Post
unfortunately, none of what you said is true.
None of what I said is true?

So my cousin is lying to me and he doesn't evict tenants in under two weeks?
I'll get specifics from him and accuse him of lying to me.

I'll actually challenge him on the issue and get specifics. I can't see him lying to me.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #28

it's okay i'm not here to get an argument but rather help out the original poster. i don't see how anyone can evict a tenant in 2 weeks. if he could then i should ask him to come evict some of my tenants

if you are to do it legally then the best advice is to do what harvey spector said
Old 11-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
None of what I said is true?

So my cousin is lying to me and he doesn't evict tenants in under two weeks?
I'll get specifics from him and accuse him of lying to me.

I'll actually challenge him on the issue and get specifics. I can't see him lying to me.
Well, right off the bat, it's a 10 day notice for unpaid rent or utilities, not 5 days.

10 Day Notice for Unpaid Rent or Utilities - Province of British Columbia
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #30
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
That's the main reason you ppl complain to the media how is impossible to rent in Vancouver. Have you ever notice those ppl that complain looks very very shaddy? They always complain how no one wants to rent to them and how rent is too high.

Most people in this city have no issue renting. As long as you pay your rent on time and doesn't cause too much hassle most landlords want you to stay. Some won't even raise rent coz they want to keep there. We haven't raise our rent for a few years now. The Tenants are decent doesn't cause too much issue (other than doing laundry like 3 days but that's coz they got 2 kids). Pay their rent on time, is quiet.

The system should change. If you don't pay rent you are out of there the next day. No reason for this to even drag on. What the gov should do is start a datbase of all the Tenants and potential landlord and sup through the database. It should contain some key info like their pic, phone, e-mail fb, etc etc and where they live for the past 2 years. Even if it cost money to look through the database I am sure a lot landlords will be willing to pay.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #31
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
My cousin is a property manager for a huge management company. I always asked him about evicting people and he said it is very easy.
he said it takes him max two weeks to physically get the person out of the house.

I'll ask him when he comes back from Europe, but from what I recall he said the day after the tenant doesn't pay, you put a notice on the door, 5 days after that, if they don't pay, you file a specific report with the city, you get a bailiff and you enter the home with them and they physically take all of the items in the house and you put it on the edge of the property line, then you change the locks.

I always asked him about the horror stories of people not paying and you losing one or two months rent. edit: He told me these people don't know how to properly file the reports and get people out. He said it is quite easy to get someone out if they don't pay. There should be no reason why it would take longer than a couple weeks to get these people out.

He said he has evicted many people and he's never lost more than 1 months rent, and that is rare he said. They're usually out in two weeks max.

There is no legal way possible to evict someone within 2 weeks after giving notices unless the tenants leave on their own. And the city does not issue eviction notices, only eviction type notice the city can give the owner is if you have a illegal suite and you're been forced to move out your tenants.

Like I said, there are fake bailiffs you can hire to scare the tenants but you nor can these bailiffs enter the unit under any circumstances unless you have a court order. It's illegal to evict someone without this order, if you decide to do it the illegal way then be prepared for a lot of legal trouble and face hefty fines.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Well, right off the bat, it's a 10 day notice for unpaid rent or utilities, not 5 days.
10 Day Notice for Unpaid Rent or Utilities - Province of British Columbia

If you read the link you have posted. The Tenant has 5 days to respond to the 10 day notice. If the tenant does not respond within 5 days, The landlord may continue with additional paperwork to facilitate eviction...

Quote:
Because legal notice has been served, tenants who disagree with a notice must apply for dispute resolution – writing a letter or talking to the landlord is not enough. Within five days of receiving the notice, submit the Tenant’s Application for Dispute Resolution (PDF) to the Residential Tenancy Branch along with a copy of the Notice to End Tenancy.

If a tenant disputes a 10 day notice to end tenancy by the five-day deadline, the notice is suspended until an arbitrator makes a decision. A tenant must move out within 10 days of receiving the notice if they do not dispute it or pay the outstanding rent or utilities.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #33
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I have 4 rental units and I am going through a similar situation. Harvey hit the nail on the head. It is better to negotiate and stay civil when a tenancy goes bad.

I am evicting tenants that we had for just 5 months. Solid references yet there have been many issues in a short time such as: backing their moving truck into the house and not telling us, noise complaints from neighbours, noise complaints of partying until 6am, breaking off hose reel and shed lock and not saying anything etc.

I decided to do an inspection to check the smoke detectors (min 24 hrs notice provided and reason for inspection). I discovered they had a room rented to an international student. Confirmed by downstairs tenants. Per the BC Tenancy Act, a tenant can not sublet without permission (even a portion of the unit). I put the notice to end tenancy on the front door and provided a months notice. (In my case 6 weeks).

Luckily for me they have settled down and said they can't afford the place and want to move anyway. They could have easily disputed and made my life hell. I had a showing with some awesome new tenants and the old tenants cleaned very throughly and had already started packing. What a relief.

Things I have learned after 5 years of being a landlord:

Be very through in your reference and credit checks.
Everything in writing and keep copies for your own records.
Follow the BC Tenancy Act.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #34

there's no need to debate whether it is 5 days or 10 days, there are too many variables. if the tenant knows what he is doing, he'll be there anywhere between 2 months - 6 months living off you rent free. you can try to recover as much costs as you can but its definitely a lose lose situation.

even if you win the phone arbitration, and receive a court order, you are unlikely going to receive any money back. and none of these services are free, you pay for everything.

i have over 20 rental units, i deal with this everyday. i have had tenants that are way worse then anyone has ever posted on this forum and still lost on the phone arbitration for the money

there was a user here before named "dinosaur" who was very familiar with the RTA, i think he dealt with the same type of tenants i deal with and he was very good at keeping detailed records and filing eviction notices. i can't seem to find his posts, maybe i am spelling his name wrong?

Last edited by frost91; 11-12-2015 at 04:55 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #35
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,717 Times in 689 Posts
I'll get a detailed summary from him and post it here. I don't remember all the details, but everything he was doing was legal (well he told me it was legal anyway), he works for a big company, so I can't see them doing anything illegal. I'll try to get it asap rocky.

And you guys can pick it apart when I post.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #36
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Find a buddy and do this. I'm sure they'll move out.
The scene is so fitting for your situation

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #37
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Looking at the damage they caused, you could always go the two month eviction route. You may lose some money, but you already are losing and with your pics, this situation is justified. Major renos are needed and a family member is moving in.

Quote:
Two Month Notice to End Tenancy

A landlord can serve a tenant with a Two Month Notice to End Tenancy when the:

Landlord plans, in good faith, to use the property
Landlord plans to do major construction that requires the unit to be empty
Tenant lives in a subsidized rental unit and no longer qualifies for subsidized housing
Landlord’s Use of Property

Landlord’s use of property applies when the landlord:

Moves in or has a close family member live in the rental unit
Sells the property and the new owner, or a close family member of the new owner, plans to live in the rental unit
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/ho...o-month-notice
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:01 PM   #38
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
I only rent out to Asians.
Specifically Fobs.

The less they know about the RTA, the better.

"Nice white people" are not nice. They will fuck you.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #39
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

heard this on the radio today... good luck op.

Vancouver mayor backs proposed changes for rent control - NEWS 1130

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – The City of Vancouver is floating a list of changes to the residential tenancy act meant to address some of the unforseen problems renters are facing, but some feel the adjustments would tip the scales too far in renters’ favour.

“With more than half of Vancouver households renting and vacancy rates at record lows, it can be extremely challenging for Vancouver renters out there,” says Mayor Gregor Robertson.

A city committee on renters’ rights wants to see limits on rent increases when a tenant’s fixed-term lease ends.

“There is a rental housing crisis in this city, and with renters making up half of Vancouver’s households the time to take action is now,” says Alvin Singh, Chair of the Renters’ Advisory Committee. “Our report is the latest in a long line of recommendations to improve the situation of renters here and across BC and now it’s up to the province to take action. The ball is in their court.”

It finds some find landlords may use the opportunity to increase the cost of rent to a level they can no longer afford. The motion also suggests waiving dispute resolution fees for low income tenants.

“We seem to be moving towards a kind of squatters rights mentality that we’ve seen in other cities and it doesn’t create a particularly good environment for owners or renters,” says NPA Councillor George Affleck.

He’s worried this will prevent investors from building much needed affordable rental housing here. “Basically, if you extend the rent controls forever, you are creating an ongoing rent control system and that really does, I believe, discourage investment in real estate,” adds Affleck.

Some of the recommendations include:

Waiving dispute resolution fees for low-income tenants
Providing translation for dispute resolution hearings
Creating a mandatory minimum penalty on landlords who break the law when evicting tenants
Limiting rent increases when fixed-term tenancies end
Increasing from 2 to 3 months the notice required for a tenant to leave a property due to renovations
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #40
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,119 Times in 990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post

Man I'm a renter and I think those are a bad idea. Moonbeam is seriously out of touch.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #41
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post

That's going to make the vacancy rate even lower because no one will want to rent out a suite.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #42
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I'm in the process of renting out my unit.

i recieved his info and did a record check and everything looks good.

just wondering should i contact his current landlord and employer?
and what questions should i ask?
NAM-nam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:08 AM   #43
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAM-nam View Post
I'm in the process of renting out my unit.

i recieved his info and did a record check and everything looks good.

just wondering should i contact his current landlord and employer?
and what questions should i ask?
just search it up. dont make the same mistake as me.

BC Landlord and Tenant Resources - Reference Check Questions

Anyways I just hope it ends peacefully. I haven't gotten a call or text back since i served the one month notice to the girlfriend's daughter, which i dont know if its a good thing or not..
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:52 AM   #44
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
"Nice white people" are not nice. They will fuck you.
thanked by melloman so you know it's true.

Spoiler!

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #45
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
just search it up. dont make the same mistake as me.

BC Landlord and Tenant Resources - Reference Check Questions

Anyways I just hope it ends peacefully. I haven't gotten a call or text back since i served the one month notice to the girlfriend's daughter, which i dont know if its a good thing or not..
Have you followed-up? Because you need to follow that up.

They might just claim that they never received it.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #46
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Wishing you the best of luck with this nightmare OP!
I had a 1 bdroom suite for rent a few months ago, and had a crap load of applicants. Narrowed it down to two, and what worked for me was right before signing I asked the applicant if it was alright to head over to his current suite to take a look around. He didn't hesitate even though it did catch him off guard. He had nice furniture and the suite was clean! He also did not lie that the current landlord sold the house.
Signed him up and never looked back.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #47
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
^ Very good idea. The more you can learn about your prospective tenants the better.

Facebook, Linkedin, Instagram, calling employers and landlords (past and current), and credit check. I think it is reasonable to ask for resumes to see their work history etc.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #48

actually the 10 day notice to end tenancy for unpaid rent can be served on the door, if you wish to proceed, anything after that you have to pay for anyways and it's going to be sent by registered mail
Old 11-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #49
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Im going to go to the tenancy branch today and see if I can get more information. Pissing me off by ignoring my calls and texts, probably have to serve the 1 month notice again on the door with the newspaper in the photo.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #50

if you have already served the 10 day notice for unpaid rent, its time to set it up and take the notice to the tenancy branch today and take action. pay and proceed with the next step

if your going to serve another notice and hope they leave, your just getting walked all over

do that or do what i originally said, pay them to get them fuck out