REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
**Japanese Elementary School** Let kids grow pig and make them eat

Kids in Japan are spoiled. They do not understand the true value of food.
Whenever they get full they throw away foods without hesitation & they are not thankful of virtually unlimited food supply.

School Districts in Japan are experimenting new strategy to let kids understand what kind of sacrifice you need to make to eat bacon that you can buy from your local supermarket.

There are big controversies and complaints from parents and society because many people believe that this sort of "education" is cruel and kids shouldn't be worried about what's going on behind the scene. This could lead to unnecessary stress in Japanese kids' lives.

Here's one example at Juen Elementary School in Japan. (Kids are typically assigned to take care of pigs for 5-6 months)

Baby pigs arrive

Kids need to take care of them

Take them out for run

Bathe them

Wash them

After 5-6 months, they're all grown up

Meat processing company arrives

Kids watching

Lots of pushing, pulling ears, etc.

After pigs got sent to the meat processing factory

And they came back

Now kids have to cook them and eat

It was even on the TV show, this sort of controversial education is becoming more common in Japan.

Advertisement

Last edited by Timpo; 11-17-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
harsh

but if the parents aren't raising them right, the school will have to i guess...

i always finish everything on my plate, and leftovers, from the meal, aren't thrown out
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
I don't think it's harsh, this is real life.
It wasn't even a century ago that most every family had to raise and slaughter animals for themselves.

I've never butchered a pig or cow, but I've cleaned many fish and a few chickens. I don't know how to describe it, but eating those animals just *feels* completely different than eating something from the supermarket.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I don't think it's harsh, this is real life.
Real life? How often do we butcher our own food? The difference is that these kids are raising these pigs as pets and create emotional attachments to them. I'm sure your stance on the topic would be a lot different if it were a dog involved. Regardless of what animal, it would be traumatizing for anyone to butcher and eat something they have become attached to.
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Real life? How often do we butcher our own food? The difference is that these kids are raising these pigs as pets and create emotional attachments to them. I'm sure your stance on the topic would be a lot different if it were a dog involved. Regardless of what animal, it would be traumatizing for anyone to butcher and eat something they have become attached to.
We don't butcher our own food, that's the problem. People don't respect where food comes from, so heads are filled with various ideas one way or the other.

Usually the only exposure we get to farming in the media is from animal rights nutjobs. While farm cruelty obviously does happen, and is a problem when it does, it shouldn't be the only exposure to farming we have. It fills peoples' heads with bullshit.

I agree that farm animals shouldn't be treated as pets if you're going to butcher them. If they were doing that with these pigs, that isn't really fair to the kids.

That's the way it's portrayed in the pictures, but it was more likely that they were showing the kids how their pigs live day to day - they get fed, are exercised, and are cleaned. They aren't pets, but they aren't mistreated either.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
i'd rather eat Chris P

twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
dem japanese bastards

Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:52 PM   #8
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Pigs are for eating - Gordon Ramsay
I have no idea if this is the full cut from the show, but Gordon Ramsay did the same thing with his kids.

Long clip post. Will be spoilered.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

lol probably emotionally scarred for life
some truth... they don't need to know at such early age.
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #10

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
There's a Japanese movie, school days with a pig. 6th graders raise a pig and when they graduate they eat it lol. Maybe it's part of their culture. The way of the samurai.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-18-2015, 04:26 AM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
This is teaching kids how to value a relationship with pets more than it is to value food. It is also at the same time, traumatizing them with the fact that the industry will grind away animals that could have been once loved, possibly turning the kids into vegetarians. Maybe the schools should seek some professional psychologist before attempting some random strategy.

A better direction for the schools to take in teaching kids how to value food is put them in an environment where they have to find and preserve their own food for like weeks to months. Like a survivor kinda training.

Nevertheless, if the parents know how to teach their kids when they're at age 3 and getting older, I'm sure that the majority of these kids won't waste food.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:54 AM   #12
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
reminds me of a story when my Uncle brought his son to Vietnam when he was a kid. Made him watch how they prepare/kill a pig right in front of him with all the blood and shit spewing out. told me after that he wouldent eat pig ever again and when he sees blood he faints lol shit rektD him
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #13
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

dude...that's fucked up bro

having them raise farm animals for food is one thing...letting the kids treat them as pet, then slaughter them and make them cook and eat them is just sick...
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:00 AM   #14
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I wonder how many kids will become vegetarian because of this?

I also wonder if they actually get to eat 'their' pig? It looks like the pig is treated FAR better than a regular farm pig (i.e. exercise, attention, etc.), which would constitute a much higher price at the market. They could just switch this free range pig with a regular farmed pig and cash in on the savings...
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #15
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,315 Times in 5,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
I wonder how many kids will become vegetarian because of this?
Jesus, what a absolutely pathetic society we live in that this is the mind set.

Its disgusting the mentality people have these days towards animals and the act of killing/butchering them.

Kinda OT but I've been a hunter and fisherman my entire life, literally since I could walk I've been fishing and IMO it's given me an unmeasureable amount of respect for the animals and the meat I take from them.

It's so funny how people these days have this barbaric outlook on hunting and hunters when they are more than happy to sit down and have a steak dinner or eat half of a roasted chicken and toss out the rest.

What these kids are experiencing is life, it's not just a respect for the food they eat but the stark realities of life.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:22 AM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Would love to have my kids go through this, unfortunately that will never fly here.
Ducdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Jesus, what a absolutely pathetic society we live in that this is the mind set.

Its disgusting the mentality people have these days towards animals and the act of killing/butchering them.

Kinda OT but I've been a hunter and fisherman my entire life, literally since I could walk I've been fishing and IMO it's given me an unmeasureable amount of respect for the animals and the meat I take from them.

It's so funny how people these days have this barbaric outlook on hunting and hunters when they are more than happy to sit down and have a steak dinner or eat half of a roasted chicken and toss out the rest.

What these kids are experiencing is life, it's not just a respect for the food they eat but the stark realities of life.
Yes, I agree.

But keep in mind, farmed animals are just that, FARMED animals. Typically farmers do not have any relationship/emotion towards their livestock for obvious reasons.

These children are trying to be taught about the origin of their food and the amount of work it takes to bring food to the table, so that they are less wasteful. These are children who are not raised on a farm, whose first reaction to a baby animal is to probably bond with it (i.e name it, play with it, etc.).
Old 11-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #18
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,315 Times in 5,635 Posts
That's fine, however, if they were not exposed to it like this, how else would it happen?

A field trip to a meat processing plant would probably be far more traumatic than this sequence of events.

Grade A picture sequence there btw timpo lol
Old 11-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
That's fine, however, if they were not exposed to it like this, how else would it happen?

A field trip to a meat processing plant would probably be far more traumatic than this sequence of events.

Grade A picture sequence there btw timpo lol
I'm not sure how else it would happen, naturally?

I'm not a hunter, I didn't raise animals, but I have respect for them. I appreciate the amount of work that goes into raising livestock and slaughtering them. A trip to a meat processing plant would not change my perspective on eating meat.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #20

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post

Do you go to the PNE and walk through the barns with the 4H animals?
The ones raised by kids?
Do you think those animals stay "pets" after the show?
None of those kids are emotionally scarred, they are taught that it's a fact of life that those animals will inevitably become food.
It's a GOOD thing for some emotional attachment to the animals, it makes for greater respect of the animal when it's taken.

One of my uncles grew a couple bulls on his land a while back. One was named T-Bone, the other was Fillet. Do you think my cousin was scarred for life because T-Bone and Fillet ended up on her plate?

Stop raising kids as such fucking namby pambys.

Quote:
I'm sure your stance on the topic would be a lot different if it were a dog involved.
You'd be wrong. If someone wants to eat dog, they can fill their boots. It's not my place to judge.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #21
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
I am all for this. More people need to be aware and be reminded of where their food comes from. I've heard people actively TRYING to block out where it comes from and imagining that they are 'grown' into perfectly packaged styrofoam and cellophane packages.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2015, 08:34 AM   #22

I was so hungry one time, I ate food from the garbage haha. Life lesson, dont waste food.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #23

Thanked 31,134 Times in 7,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
dude...that's fucked up bro

having them raise farm animals for food is one thing...letting the kids treat them as pet, then slaughter them and make them cook and eat them is just sick...
Thats the point though.
If you are farming animals for food, they should be getting the same respect as a pet.
I don't mean letting a pig sleep at the foot of your bed at night, but they should be fed well, have a proper place to sleep and see no cruelty until the bolt goes into their brain and kills them instantly.
I'll never stop eating meat, although there have been days where I've considered it, it won't happen. However, I will continue to learn about where my meat comes from, and what/where are not appropriate places to spend my money or support. Teaching kids about this at a young age is invaluable to the future of sustainable and cruelty free farming.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #24
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
This happened in Britain as well

Also, a movie was adapted from the events that took place at this Japanese school

My take on this? I love it.

Teaching them when they're younger is smarter because they're not yet fully exposed to social warrior nutjobs and celebtards who grab idiots by the truckfull and pull them into their ridiculous dogma. Domesticated animals are one of our greatest resources in human history.

There's good and bad farmers, it's just important to know where to buy your meat from. From experience, I can honestly taste a huge difference in factory farm vs ethically farmed meat.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2015, 10:50 PM   #25

meh, most Japanese kids are fucking spoiled and don't have a clue about anything. id be more worried about Abe and his patriotic education system