REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Buyers Beware!

Not sure if this is the right subforum to post this thread, my apologies in advance, feel free to move it to the right section

I am creating this thread to educate people on purchasing items secondhand, this may seem like common sense, however I feel like this thread will help other members out and to prevent other members to be scammed or feel ripped off.

MY STORY:
So I decided to purchase a second hand jacket from a fellow revscene member (AutozamAZ-3) for my little brother, AutozamAZ-3 described the item as in "immaculate condition" which means it is in perfect condition, no problems at all. I decided to msg the member, who also posted this on craigslist via text message. We agreed to meet the next day for the purchase, however he calls me 20 minutes later saying that he has another person interested but hes willing to sell it to me because I am closer. Not wanting to lose out on this jacket, I agreed to meet him up to purchase it because I didn't think I found a deal like this anytime soon. We meet up and the jacket was not how it was described, it was quite dirty and I noted that to him, he pretty much said "oh.. my bad". I thought it was only dirty so i decided to give him the cash and go on my way. I ASSUMED that it was only dirty and there wouldn't be anything wrong with it because hes also a fellow rs member and he wouldn't sell me something bad.WRONG, I took it to dry cleaning and as they were looking at it, they pointed out there was small holes in the jacket. I still got it cleaned, and i texted him back letting him know but no response. I have a feeling he does know that this was in poor condition and sold it quickly to get it off his hands.

This could had been prevented if I took time to carefully inspect the item, however I thought a fellow rs member would not do this to me, but I was wrong.

As a note to other members looking to purchase items secondhand, whether its a jacket, engine or whatever on revscene, please check the item carefully just in case. I assumed that the seller would not pull a move like this because hes a fellow rs member, but guess not.

SPARKNOTES:
bought a jacket off a rs member for my little brother
seller described it as "immaculate condition"
rushes me to buy by telling me someone else is interested in it, but he wants to sell it to me because im closer
we meet up and its dirty, i told him and he tells me "oh my bad"
i purchase it, bring it to dry cleaner and they shows me some small holes
i msg him and he does no reply
now Im posting this thread because Im an idiot for assuming he wouldn't pull this move on me, but it is my fault for not checking properly

I know this seems like common sense, but inspect it carefully! Don't assume he won't rip you off just because hes a member of RS also.
Advertisement
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,098 Times in 971 Posts
Secondhand clothing
Old 11-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
Secondhand clothing
There's nothing wrong with secondhand clothing. It's not like it's used underwear you're buying. Besides, all of us are in different areas of our lives and sometimes we don't have the luxury of brand new clothes.

If clothing is maintained well or used a few times, it's basically buying it new and you get to save a few bucks. Remember, even when you buy it from a store, someone else (multiple people, more likely) has tried it on before you. Does that make it used / secondhand to you?

Or even returns that they try to resell, hell, if that isn't secondhand, I don't know what is.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
There's nothing wrong with secondhand clothing. It's not like it's used underwear you're buying. Besides, all of us are in different areas of our lives and sometimes we don't have the luxury of brand new clothes.

If clothing is maintained well or used a few times, it's basically buying it new and you get to save a few bucks. Remember, even when you buy it from a store, someone else (multiple people, more likely) has tried it on before you. Does that make it used / secondhand to you?

Or even returns that they try to resell, hell, if that isn't secondhand, I don't know what is.
And now I never want to buy clothing ever again, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
It's not like it's used underwear you're buying.
You can get a lot more for those on Craigslist...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
This thread should be stickied on the buy & sell with the title changed include AutoZam.

Hopefully the user will refund your cash - then again, probably not.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #7

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo View Post
... he calls me 20 minutes later saying that he has another person interested but hes willing to sell it to me because I am closer.
Don't do a lot of craigslist/forum type deals anymore. But every time people start pulling that shit, I always give them the opposite response and tell them to just sell it to the other dude. 9 out of 10 times, they're bluffing and will beg you to take it.

If anything, learn this: Never be desperate. And if you're going to keep doing these deals, buy at a price where you won't be peeved about being ripped off. Most of the stuff I bought were computer parts where it's close to impossible to test on the spot. I just make sure the deal's good enough that I won't cry about it. If you can't do that, seriously, just save up to buy new.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
not lookin for a refund or anything, I made the mistake of assuming another revscene member would not rip me off. It was my mistake to make a hasty sale because he pressured me, but it is my fault for not checkin the item carefully. I take full responsibility for that, however this thread was created to show other members not to make the same mistakes as me.
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70266...its-cheap.html

Wash his car with jacket after you drop it at the beach
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #10
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
You had the jacket in your hands right there before giving him money for it... I think buying used clothes is disgusting, but if you're going to do it at least inspect it first.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
Buyers Beware!

seller drives a BMW. ....needs to sell his used smelly clothing to afford gas and maintenance.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #12
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
i see posts like this from over on facebook who sell shoes all the time

its hilarious actually.

sorry for your loss...
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
OP, how old are you?

I remember when I first starting buying items online and meeting up with people (15 years old). I was so green, I bought a few things I would definitely not buy now.

Just inspect the item, if you don't feel good about it, just say no thanks. Yeah, you wasted your time, but better than paying for something that's no good.

The more inexperienced you are, the less you tend to inspect the item. Just make sound judgement and don't be pressured to buy something.

I met up with a guy in the summer to pick up a bike for my sister, the pictures looked great and the price was right, I saw the bike and I immediately asked if this was the same bike. I just told the guy that this looks nothing like the picture and I didn't want it. He said, I was wasting his time and he came a long way to meet me. I simply said thanks and left. It was a waste of time, but better me than my sister who might have actually bought the bike.

That being said, it's easier if you have moral support, so next time go with a buddy.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2015, 08:16 PM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I dont really see a problem buying used clothes, we have a thing called washing /dry cleaning.. like his post mentions, buyer beware. I see his post more of a forewarning than begging for a refund.
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #15

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Shouldve been an immediate red flag when you saw it was dirty and he gave the "my bad" excuse.

Deal shouldve ended right there
Old 11-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
it's easier if you have moral support, so next time go with a buddy.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #17

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
That being said, it's easier if you have moral support, so next time go with a buddy.
For clothes, bring your Mom.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:27 AM   #18
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
seller drives a BMW. ....needs to sell his used smelly clothing to afford gas and maintenance.

If you look at the last couple of items, it looks like he can't afford pho or mcdonalds either.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:32 AM   #19
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
If you look at the last couple of items, it looks like he can't afford pho or mcdonalds either.
H&M tank top? Really? That shit is like $10 brand new and he is reselling it?
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:45 AM   #20

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
seller has posted over 1000 times on revscene ....yet doesn't have the balls to man up and respond to this thread.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:12 AM   #21
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
ahhh i remember buying and selling used clothes when i was 16

bought some trues from typeRnammer? (Sp?) fast forward almost 10 years later and I buy $10 shirts and not give a shit about clothing anymore

seriously tho, for the young kids, dont waste money on clothes, save it for school or a new/used car

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #22
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
since you didn't notice the holes when you handed over the cash, how do you know it wasn't caused by the drycleaner and he wasn't playing innocent pointing it out to you? it couldn't have been totally caked in mud to the point you couldn't see holes could you?

the whole story (no pun intended ) seems unusual.

+1 on cheap clothes. as long as it looks nice i can treat them as disposable. no one spends the time to look at what tag is behind your neck.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #23
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70266...its-cheap.html

Wash his car with jacket after you drop it at the beach

Time to call him up to buy something off him and then sudden beat down crew.
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #24
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
i dont see anything wrong with use clothes, i buy used and reps all the time

i make sure i check everything clearly before i hand them the cash, aka like flip everything inside out just to make sure its the quality u want

personally im not going go butt sore over small imperfections (but thats how i am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #25

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
You usually "buy the seller" as opposed to the product.

I've bought and sold many things on Craigslist over the last several years. If you have a bad feeling about the seller, walk away.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote