REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
Well, fake it is apparently.
My first thought was....?

Spoiler!
Advertisement
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
The real identity of Phuc Dat Bitch:

Phuc Dat Bich's real identity revealed by former classmate

UPDATE: Wednesday, Nov. 25, 8:07 p.m.: Phuc Dat Bich's real name has been revealed to Mashable by a former school friend.

The Australian-Vietnamese man known globally as "Phuc Dat Bich" has admitted on Facebook his story is a hoax.

Following this, a schoolmate from Deer Park Secondary College in Melbourne contacted Mashable with a school photo and proof that Phuc Dat Bich's real name is Thien Nguyen.

This corroborates with research that linked the number plate of the Subaru shown repeatedly on Phuc Dat Bich's Facebook page with a cached version of an ad on carpoint.com.au. Thien was listed as the person selling the same car in September this year.

The Melbourne resident, who on Facebook now claims his name is "Joe Carr" — as in Joker — created a stir around the globe after proclaiming his Facebook account had been blocked due to his name, which could be seen as offensive when read phonetically in American English.

"I find it highly irritating the fact that nobody seems to believe me when I say that my full legal name is how you see it," he wrote in January. "I've been accused of using a false and misleading name of which I find very offensive. Is it because I'm Asian? Is it? Having my fb shut down multiple times and forced to change my name to my 'real' name."

To prove his name was not a hoax, he supplied a photo of a passport on Facebook. It can now be assumed it is a photoshopped version.

I find it highly irritating the fact that nobody seems to believe me when I say that my full legal name is how you see...

Posted by Phuc Dat Bich on Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Earlier this week, news sites around the world jumped on the story — including a mention in an analysis piece by Mashable — creating a somewhat viral sensation. Phuc Dat Bitch, as he was known at the time, lapped up the attention.

"I'd like to mention that I am very grateful to those who have been supportive of certain names that populate in different cultures. We live in a diverse and multicultural society and the fact that there are people out there who are supportive and encouraging really makes me happy," he wrote on Facebook on Monday.

"I've never ranted nor wept that my post would get this sort of exposure. But I am glad and honoured to be able to make people happy by simply making them laugh at something that appears outrageous and ridiculous."

In recent days, his account started to unravel. Australian journalist Trevor Long posted a story on his search for answers, while I received radio silence from the man himself, a "lol" from his friend on Facebook and a story about a cat from another acquaintance.

On Wednesday afternoon, Phuc Dat Bich must have got sick of ignoring the questions of journalists and owned up. With a spiel about making a fool of the media, by essentially refusing to offer the truth, he praised his own story for raising awareness for those with culturally specific names.

"I've never believed it's necessary for it to be mandatory to have your entire name to be published on social media. People should be free to use any name they desire. Facebook needs to understand that it is utterly impossible to legitimise a place where there will always be pranksters and tricksters," he wrote as the reasoning behind his prank.

Do you remember the story; The boy who cried wolf? Imagine that boy grew up into a mischievous man with 21st century...

Posted by Phuc Dat Bich on Tuesday, November 24, 2015

"Phuc Dat Bich" has been contacted for comment. Passports Australia has also been contacted for comment.

In other words, this dude wanted to prove a point against Facebook that FB cannot control a person's freedom to express his/her name on their profile?

I wonder if Zuckerberg could tell his staff to ban the profile of this dude Thien Nguyen based on his real name just to get back at him.

Last edited by pastarocket; 07-16-2016 at 01:56 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote