REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Winter jackets? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706418-winter-jackets.html)

PJ 11-22-2015 10:35 PM

Winter jackets?

So I guess it's that time of year.

I've had the same Adidas winter jacket for around 7 years now and I think it's finally time for a change/upgrade. I'm starting to go back and forth between Vancouver and Toronto a lot for work, and holy balls is it cold out on the east coast right now, and it hasn't even started getting into the real "winter weather".

I've been looking for something in this style.

http://www.sundanceskishop.com/img/product/id=395755

I've been looking at Columbia jackets simply because of the price point (also I can't get over the connotation that North Face carries), and maybe Arcteryx if I feel like throwing down a bit more. I don't really care much about the branding, but if the Arcteryx is going to last me years longer, I don't mind paying more. Has anyone experienced firsthand any difference in quality?

Also, for those of you who have this lighter weight type of jacket, what temperature range would you say they're effective? Are they more of a "wear a hoodie underneath" jacket?

I might have to shell out for a parka if those lighter weight types of jackets are no good for the colder weather. I naturally refused to ever buy a Canada Goose jacket in Vancouver, simply because it's overkill for our -2 degree weather, and I generally hate trendy fashion statements. But over here in Toronto, they sure do look appealing while I'm freezing my balls off.

bluejays 11-22-2015 10:42 PM

If you're looking for a high quality parka without the fashion faux pas attached to CG, I would check out parajumpers, although it is quite pricey

PJ 11-22-2015 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluejays (Post 8701484)
If you're looking for a high quality parka without the fashion faux pas attached to CG, I would check out parajumpers, although it is quite pricey

I did check them out, along with Moose Knuckles as well. I'm hoping to keep it under the $700 mark... Unfortunately when it comes to parkas, it seems like CG is the best fit... Unless I want to pay the extra $200 just to not own a CG... :lawl: I'm putting way more effort than I should into not giving into the CG craze. If I don't find anything, I may have to just (ironically) swallow my pride and hop the bandwagon.

Hmm. Under Armour and Nike actually have some interesting stuff as well, though it seems like you're getting a lot less jacket for the price. (a 550 down from Nike costs about the same as an 850 from Columbia).

Lomac 11-23-2015 12:41 AM

I've had Arcteryx's Cerium SV Hoody for a couple years now, which I pair with the Theta AR shell for when it's snowing or raining. The Cerium itself is very warm. So warm that I usually don't have a sweater underneath anymore whenever I go outside. The price for the Cerium is actually quite decent, comparatively speaking. The Theta is where the real money goes.

jcmaz 11-23-2015 01:14 AM

The issue with down jackets is they wet out and lose their warming properties unless you pair it with a waterproof shell. I would aim for synthetic insulation like Primaloft or Coreloft to combat this issue and choose a jacket with good water repelling face fabrics. If you want waterproof and warm from Arcteryx, check out the Fission SV jacket.

Personally, I'm eyeing the Arcteryx Kappa Hoody right now since I already have a Beta AR jacket. It provides the same warmth like the Fission jacket but isn't waterproof.

You can also check out jackets from other brands like Patagonia, MontBell, and Mountain Hardware.

PJ 11-23-2015 04:54 AM

A lot of great information there. Thanks guys.

I've been leaning towards a down jacket because of its weight. I don't plan on getting it wet a whole lot (I don't like getting my clothes wet regardless of its water resistance capabilities), though I'm sure there will be the times where it inevitably will when it randomly starts raining and I don't have an umbrella.

I was actually eyeing the Arcteryx Cerium, then I noticed that Columbia just released a new jacket that seems to have a bit more jacket for a slightly lower price.

Cerium LT Hoody / Men's / Insulated Jackets / Arc'teryx / Arc'teryx

Men?s Diamond 890 TurboDown Jacket Warm Lightweight | Columbia

OOooooo forgot about Helly Hansen too...

unit 11-23-2015 07:11 AM

personally i'd go with the arcteryx for the same price. their gear is just a little more thought out and their use of high quality materials is unparalleled in the outdoor gear biz.
i've had my atom lt for 5 years now and its the best jacket i've ever bought. just reapplied DWR and hope it lasts another 5.

jcmaz 11-23-2015 10:16 AM

I agree, the Atom Lt jacket is one of the most versatile jackets out there. Don't forget about Arcteryx's warranty. My friend's Alpha SV jacket started to delaminate (layers of fabric started to un-stick each other) and they gave him a full refund for another Arcteryx jacket.

PJ 11-23-2015 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8701543)
I've had Arcteryx's Cerium SV Hoody for a couple years now, which I pair with the Theta AR shell for when it's snowing or raining. The Cerium itself is very warm. So warm that I usually don't have a sweater underneath anymore whenever I go outside. The price for the Cerium is actually quite decent, comparatively speaking. The Theta is where the real money goes.

Did you try the LT before picking up the SV? The only difference I see spec-wise is that the the SV has grey goose down and the LT has white goose down, even though they're both rated at 850. I guess the obvious answer would be that the SV has a bit more to it, at a $150 premium over the LT.

I went into an outerwear store today in Toronto to check out some jackets, and according to the guy who works there, he said that the Cerium has a common issue of losing down by feathers coming out of the jacket in various areas. I had a look online at the reviews and this really does seem to be a common occurrence. I know Arcteryx will replace it if it's defective... but I'd prefer not to have to go through that process.

Lomac have you experienced any of this?

I also hear a lot of good things about the Atom, but the styling is a bit too relaxed for my taste.

I'm leaning towards the Columbia jacket for now... Gonna head to a Columbia store tomorrow to try it on.

DragonChi 11-23-2015 01:25 PM

Synthetic Coreloft, is great for Vancouver wet cold.

Down, is great for for TO dry cold.

I have a Atom AR and use it all the time now that it's around 0. Atom LT and a hoody is good till around 7-10C. I use a polyester fleece vest as a mid layer for both. I was in Sudbury ON in late October and was wearing an Atom AR, hoody, and thermal baselayer pants. Pretty comfortable at 0C nights.

I used to have a North Face Nuptse, that would lose down too. I haven't come across a down garment that doesn't lose feathers. I have a Cerium LT Vest, and that loses a bit of down too. Only like 3 feathers over 6 months that I've had and used it. The Nuptse was good if it had a nice snug fit, used it in Vancouver winters with a hoody and was pretty warm. I had both the mediums and the large. The medium that had a better fit was way warmer. Been in Calgary with the Nuptse in -20C, with thermal pants, and a hoody. It was just enough to stay warm. In that weather, an insulated hoody would have been a godsend.

unit 11-23-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmaz (Post 8701618)
I agree, the Atom Lt jacket is one of the most versatile jackets out there. Don't forget about Arcteryx's warranty. My friend's Alpha SV jacket started to delaminate (layers of fabric started to un-stick each other) and they gave him a full refund for another Arcteryx jacket.

if its a goretex issue, gore will actually give you credit for any equivalent goretex jacket (i think from any brand). how cool is that?

Mr.Money 11-23-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmaz (Post 8701618)

got the atom LT on sale for $120 a few years ago....crazy thin jacket,but keeps you warm without burning up,super comfortable jacket too.

PJ 11-23-2015 05:45 PM

Pleasantly surprised by the amount of love for Arcteryx in here.

I'm hoping the Columbia works out. At the price point at $375, I think it's the best bang for my buck. I do like the Arcteryx Cerium SV, but at $550, it's creeping up awfully close to what a CG parka costs. And regardless of what we think of the brand, the truth is we get a whole lot of jacket for the price of a CG parka at around $600..... :derp:

Lomac 11-23-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 8701678)
if its a goretex issue, gore will actually give you credit for any equivalent goretex jacket (i think from any brand). how cool is that?

Yup. While I haven't had any Gore Tex issue with my Arcteryx jackets, I have a pair of Salomon shoes that had one of the panels delaminate. I haven't heard back yet about what they're going to do with the shoe, but they have a guarantee that they'll either fix it, repair it or replace it. Either way, I'm happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ (Post 8701655)
Did you try the LT before picking up the SV? The only difference I see spec-wise is that the the SV has grey goose down and the LT has white goose down, even though they're both rated at 850. I guess the obvious answer would be that the SV has a bit more to it, at a $150 premium over the LT.

I went into an outerwear store today in Toronto to check out some jackets, and according to the guy who works there, he said that the Cerium has a common issue of losing down by feathers coming out of the jacket in various areas. I had a look online at the reviews and this really does seem to be a common occurrence. I know Arcteryx will replace it if it's defective... but I'd prefer not to have to go through that process.

Lomac have you experienced any of this?

I also hear a lot of good things about the Atom, but the styling is a bit too relaxed for my taste.

I'm leaning towards the Columbia jacket for now... Gonna head to a Columbia store tomorrow to try it on.

I have noticed a little bit of down coming out of the jacket, but nothing major. It's maybe one piece every few weeks. That said, I'm probably harder on my jackets than most people, so I'm not expecting to get that long of a lifespan out of it. If it starts shedding sooner than later, I'm gonna blame myself more than Arcteryx.

jcmaz 11-25-2015 12:56 AM

I had this discussion with my brother earlier today about Arcteryx quality versus other brands. From what I have seen, Arcteryx pays much attention in the construction of their clothing and outerwears. Look at the seams and stitching. They are so much tighter and finer compared to other brands. The materials they use feel much higher quality than the competition.

Also, there's always discounts for Arcteryx items if you buy online. Liveoutthere and Altitude Sports are two Canadian web stores I go to. They have pretty aggressive sales and save on tax yo!

PJ 11-25-2015 06:23 AM

Decided on the Arcteryx Cerium SV.

Regular price is $550+tax... Liveoutthere has a Black Friday sale, and if you have a membership you get an extra 10% off on top. After tax, discounts, and everything it came to $415. :notbad:

As much as I was intrigued by the new Columbia Titanium line... an extra $30 to get the Arcteryx was a no brainer.

Too bad the SV doesn't have the color selection that the LT has.. :( I wanted the navy with red accents or green with yellow accents. Guess plain black will have to do.

Mr.HappySilp 11-25-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmaz (Post 8702116)
I had this discussion with my brother earlier today about Arcteryx quality versus other brands. From what I have seen, Arcteryx pays much attention in the construction of their clothing and outerwears. Look at the seams and stitching. They are so much tighter and finer compared to other brands. The materials they use feel much higher quality than the competition.

Also, there's always discounts for Arcteryx items if you buy online. Liveoutthere and Altitude Sports are two Canadian web stores I go to. They have pretty aggressive sales and save on tax yo!

Is true. That's why you see clothing that's $10 breaks apart after a few wash vs $50 clothing and they last for years. Is the quality that matters.

gilly 11-25-2015 03:47 PM

If you guys are thinking of buying an Arcteryx jacket, check out thelasthunt.com
Huge savings and Canadian company. no stupid US exchange rates.

I've bought my entire arcteryx snowboarding outfit from them.

Kilinim 11-25-2015 04:07 PM

Fingers crossed for a good selection at SportChek for this Fri!

twitchyzero 11-26-2015 09:31 PM

near/below freezing like early mornings this week in Vancouver, the Atom LT doesn't cut it for me...but most of the time it's very suitable for getting around...and if there's rain the forcast throw on a gortex shell..they start at $300. I'd like the midlayer + outer shell approach vs waterproof parkas. Pretty overkill unless you're up north/interior IMO

DGN23 11-27-2015 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ (Post 8701738)
a CG parka at around $600..... :derp:

Where did you see Canada Goose parkas for $600?

Mr.HappySilp 11-27-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8702642)
near/below freezing like early mornings this week in Vancouver, the Atom LT doesn't cut it for me...but most of the time it's very suitable for getting around...and if there's rain the forcast throw on a gortex shell..they start at $300. I'd like the midlayer + outer shell approach vs waterproof parkas. Pretty overkill unless you're up north/interior IMO

Been using The North Face Alpen Blitz Triclimate Jacket Mens with a sweater. The jacket is really warm!!! A little trick I do is I hang my jacket in the laundry room where the heating system is. So when I wear it in the morning it is already warm.

unit 11-27-2015 09:40 AM

i wear an atom lt down to about 5 degrees. on colder days i wear my patagonia wanaka down jacket. with that and a sweater, i can be pretty warm at -5 without any thoughtful layering.

skiiipi 11-28-2015 05:02 PM

for Parkas I prefer Nobis over CG

I have a goose Chilliwack
and a nobis yatsey and cartel
Nobis yatsey is warmer than the expedition from CG (tried both in minus 50 weather)
and cartel is warmer than the chilliwack

I also think the nobis looks more fashionable

I also have a PJ right hand and its nice cause its a 2 in 1 since the liner separates from the shell but its not nearly as warm as the ones listed above.

Arcteryx are nice for sure especially for vancouver climate where it is more wet than actually cold. I bought my dad a Fission SV for Chicago and I wear it once in a while when I go there. I survived the Polar Vortex 2 years back in Chicago in the Fission SV so it was decently warm.

Columbia is almost ALWAYS 50% off at the end of the season so don't pay reg retail for Columbia. Columbia stuff (even titanium line) has huge mark up, even at 50% off most retailers are making 30-40% margin. At sport chek you can get a prior season Spyder, Columbia, Scott etc for 50% off, and you can stack a 20% team assist coupon.

If you are planning on paying reg retail, then I suggest getting CG, Nobis, Parajumper, Pajar or Arcteryx at least these brands don't go on sale as much.

FYI Goose has HUGE mark ups too, except they like NEVER go on sale. (a $900 goose is about $300 at cost)

skiiipi 11-28-2015 05:05 PM

Oh Sport Chek employee's gets their discount limit renewed on January 1st.....so if staff has discout limits left its kind of like a "use it or lose it" policy
so staff are more inclined to let acquaintances use their discounts towards december if they have lots left

So if you have any friends, or friend's friends that work at sport chek...it doesn't hurt to ask.