REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Petition: Make Vancouver the next city in Grand Theft Auto (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706471-petition-make-vancouver-next-city-grand-theft-auto.html)

thumper 11-27-2015 09:08 AM

Petition: Make Vancouver the next city in Grand Theft Auto

vancitybuzz is at it again...

Petition: Make Vancouver the next city in Grand Theft Auto

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/wp-conten...18-984x500.jpg

Quote:

1.1kSHARES Share on Facebook (1.1k) Share on Twitter (2) +
Rockstar GamesImage: Rockstar Games
An exciting new petition is asking Rockstar Games to base the next Grand Theft Auto video game in Vancouver.

“I want to see Vancouver BC as an upcoming city of GTA. Imagine causing havoc on Granville, running Hastings, and driving 200 over the Port Mann bridge in a chromed out Bugatti.”

As a GTA-enthusiast myself, I applaud the efforts of this keen gamer to bring the legendarily-bad-for-kids video game to Vancouver’s HD CGI-animated streets. If you can look away from the quite obvious violence associated with the game, it’s a pretty fantastic idea.

Back in the late ’90s, Vancouver was featured prominently in one of the first incarnations of Need for Speed: High Stakes. In the Pacific Spirit gameplay, you could race cars throughout a city much like Vancouver, including past a version of Science World and underneath an elevated SkyTrain, through a park featuring totem poles and across a bridge adorned with two lion statues at its entrance – including alternating lane signals (hem, hem, Lions Gate Bridge).

I played this game as a nine-year-old on an old desktop PC using the arrow keys on the keyboard. It involved speeding away from police cars, but never inspired me to do so in real life.

It was a less-than-subtle nod to the city where the game developers, Electronic Arts Canada, were based – a city that has had its video game industry grow exponentially. For instance, EA Canada with headquarters in Burnaby, now produces all EA Sports’ FIFA, NHL, and NBA games, among others.

Rockstar Games, the producers of Grand Theft Auto, used to have a studio in Vancouver until 2012 when they merged with Toronto (the other GTA) and moved back east. Out of the Toronto office they produced the PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City.

But having a geographical connection to a GTA studio is not going to guarantee a city gets digitized into a crime-ridden game locale.

GTA is known for fictionalizing famous cities, including settings like Liberty City as New York, Vice City as Miami, San Andreas as Las Vegas and California, and Los Santos as Los Angeles.

For it to move up north, Vancouver would really have to put on a stellar campaign. Yes, our geography would provide a great diverse range of vistas – the wealthy hillside of West Vancouver, the vast plains of the Fraser Valley, and the dense Downtown core, along with a rich underbelly of crime and sleazy real estate transactions.

Some of Vancouver would have to be degraded down to criminal hubs, which would likely not sit well with local governments and residents. But it’s a game – I’m sure we could all get off our politically correct horses for a moment to appreciate the city being immortalized in video game history.

Even if the idea of opening fictional fire on fictional Granville Street doesn’t appeal to you, there would have to be some satisfaction of Vancouver making the big leagues before Toronto, the real G.T.A.

The petition to Rockstar Games had 1,246 supporters out of a needed 1,500. It’s pretty likely this idea will never come to fruition, but let’s just imagine if it did.

PETITION: https://www.change.org/p/rockstar-ga...-next-gta-city

GLOW 11-27-2015 09:28 AM

shouldn't it really be surrey? :troll: :fullofwin:

pastarocket 11-27-2015 09:35 AM

Vancouver would be a good city for GTA if you think about it.

-so many kids driving exotic cars here. We have a variety of terrain and driving conditions in Vancouver. This would be a carjacker's paradise in GTA. :lawl:

You would have to be really careful of the shitty/dangerous drivers here though. :troll:

yray 11-27-2015 09:36 AM

Takes skytrain, gets stuck for 3 hours

pastarocket 11-27-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8702741)
Takes skytrain, gets stuck for 3 hours

-jack a Ferrari with an "N" on it from a UBC student. Then you get stuck in traffic after making a wrong turn on to Cambie Street during rush hour while the Skytrain is stuck on the Canada Line. :lawl:

Sir_Loin 11-27-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8702743)
-jack a Ferrari with an "N" on it from a UBC student. Then you get stuck in traffic after making a wrong turn on to Cambie Street during rush hour while the Skytrain is stuck on the Canada Line. :lawl:

Jack an R8 with an "N" from an SFU Burnaby student. Go down Gaglardi and have 4 Star wanted level. Before wiping out near the bottom.

Hondaracer 11-27-2015 09:55 AM

Vancouver would be killer for GTA, been thinking that ever since like 2

jjson 11-27-2015 10:46 AM

Have Bryne meets on GTA online. Get 4 star wanted level. Oh wait...

Jmac 11-27-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8702739)
Vancouver would be a good city for GTA if you think about it.

-so many kids driving exotic cars here. We have a variety of terrain and driving conditions in Vancouver. This would be a carjacker's paradise in GTA. :lawl:

You would have to be really careful of the shitty/dangerous drivers here though. :troll:

They already have the AI spot on in GTA V. :lawl:

Jmac 11-27-2015 11:05 AM

San Andreas isn't Las Vegas. Las Venturas is Las Vegas. San Andreas is the state of California.

Mr.HappySilp 11-27-2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8702739)
:

Bonus points for running over C-lais in game? Or maybe bonus points for getting laid with C-lais?

6o4__boi 11-27-2015 12:28 PM

only if there were RS-themed missions

scammer manhunt missions?
rs beatdown crew missions?
report it to the dean missions?

i'd be down

yray 11-27-2015 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8702789)
Bonus points for running over C-lais in game? Or maybe bonus points for getting laid with C-lais?

then it better have ingame texts like

http://web.archive.org/web/201305060...com/5mh10l.png

dat_steve 11-27-2015 01:43 PM

^ru aware of the origins of that pic lol?

Bouncing Bettys 11-27-2015 04:52 PM

Because of bias, Montreal made the list over Vancouver.

It rains far too frequently in GTA5 set in LA, it would be non stop if set in Vancouver.

Vansterdam 11-27-2015 04:58 PM

anyone still play GTA 5 on the PC? holla!

Bouncing Bettys 11-27-2015 05:04 PM

^Xbox One :alone:

sidenote: GTA 5 has to be one of the best bang-for-your-buck games out there. More than two years after release and they still put out free decent content updates. When you see all these games incomplete, full of micro-transactions, and charging top dollar, and essentially becoming obsolete as soon as they release the next one a year later, it really makes you appreciate GTA.

adambomb 11-27-2015 05:43 PM

^^

exactly why GTA5 is a great game two years later.

I noticed the new Assassin's Creed just came out. Do I ever bother, or just wait until the next one? :rukidding:

Vansterdam 11-27-2015 07:43 PM

Im waiting on that new GTA5 DLC side storys. only a matter of time now before they annouce something

Gucci Mane 11-28-2015 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 8702890)
Im waiting on that new GTA5 DLC side storys. only a matter of time now before they annouce something

same. been waiting for updates to story mode. fuck, why couldn't they bring lowriders to story mode? would have been so much more fun to roll around as franklin in a lowrider.

Bahhbeehhaaaa 11-28-2015 04:58 AM

Can we have Timpo in there with his GTR?

GLOW 11-28-2015 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa (Post 8702955)
Can we have Timpo in there with his GTR?

that will be DLC :lol

ilovebacon 11-28-2015 12:59 PM

finally i get to steal a car and park it right in front of my house without getting caught

Mr.C 11-28-2015 09:55 PM

Vancouver would be nice, but Rio de Janeiro would be the best. It's got the perfect scenery, lots of places to get drive around, and lots of great places to hide a body or ten...

Cwift 11-28-2015 10:40 PM

In, as long as they incorporate the line "I'll fuck your head" into the story mode.