REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Advice on picking car up from Kelowna

I'm looking to pickup a car at a dealership in Kelowna, gonna fly up but I have to drive the car back down to the lower mainland if I go through with it. I never drive on the Coquihalla before, but I heard its pretty nasty and unpredictable this time of the year so Im hoping you guys can share your experiences, or tips and advice. Thanks
Advertisement
und3f3at3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

what type of vehicle is it?
Suprarz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #3

Looking to pickup an Accord, I think the car has all seasons on it
Old 11-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
I could be wrong but at this time of the year you can't get onto the coq without winter tires

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
I could be wrong but at this time of the year you can't get onto the coq without winter tires
Winter tires now include the M+S (Mud and Snow) designation which most all-seasons have.

Quote:
About Winter Tires

Drivers must obey winter tire and chain signs throughout the province from October 1 to March 31.

Winter road conditions across most of B.C. often include snow and ice. We recommend drivers install mountain/snowflake tires for cold weather driving and, for extreme conditions, carry chains.

It is the responsibility for the operator of a vehicle to understand the conditions on the roads they regularly drive and equip their vehicle for those conditions.

British Columbia accepts tires displaying the 3-peaked mountain and snowflake symbol OR the M+S (mud and snow) symbol, with at least 3.5 mm tread as winter tires. Some tire manufacturers choose to mark their tires with both designations.
I really only travel the Coq in summer, so others can probably offer more experienced insight, but I'd at least:
- carry a set of chains
- practice applying chains to the tires before you leave
- stay in the right lane except to pass slow-moving trucks, don't necessarily worry about keeping up with the flow of traffic as they probably have more experience and possibly better tires than you do
- don't pass snowplows with their lights flashing
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
watch Highway thru hell on Discovery...you'll get a sense of what the coq is like

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
I got no real insight for you since I'm Richmond born and raised. But good on you for asking the question and planning ahead. Too many people just assume "everyone else does it, why can't I?"
Old 11-29-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Yeah, technically M&S tires are accepted, but I would suggest picking up snowflake rated tires. You might get lucky and find that the roads are clear (and possibly even dry), or you might find yourself stuck in the middle of a 300mm snowfall. The weather on the Coquihalla Summit (and Brenda Mine area on Hwy97) can be insanely unpredictable.

I would suggest checking out these two links before you go for a drive:
Hwy 5 Cameras
Hwy 97c (Okanagan Connector) Cameras

Edit: One thing to add is that I would suggest packing an extra pack of warm clothes and picking up some water and food on your way out. And gas up as often as possible. While you're unlikely to come across any major issues while driving, it's not uncommon to find yourself stuck in a long tailback from an accident or road closure. One trip last year I ended up getting stuck in traffic up at the top of the Summit for six freakin' hours. The roof of my car had accumulated almost a foot of snow while I was parked. Oh, and this was in the middle of the night. Making sure you have proper and sufficient supplies during this time of year, while usually unnecessary, can be the difference between being comfortable and getting hypothermia.

Source: 15 years of driving on the Coquihalla
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Edit: One thing to add is that I would suggest packing an extra pack of warm clothes and picking up some water and food on your way out. And gas up as often as possible. While you're unlikely to come across any major issues while driving, it's not uncommon to find yourself stuck in a long tailback from an accident or road closure. One trip last year I ended up getting stuck in traffic up at the top of the Summit for six freakin' hours. The roof of my car had accumulated almost a foot of snow while I was parked. Oh, and this was in the middle of the night. Making sure you have proper and sufficient supplies during this time of year, while usually unnecessary, can be the difference between being comfortable and getting hypothermia.
THIS. Bring some snacks and keep the gas tank full. Take it from someone who's learned the hard way; truck broke down in the middle of nowhere in -40c and all I was wearing was jeans and a mediocre winter jacket. Took almost 2'ish hours before my buddy got to me. Couldn't feel from my knees down.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about chains. If you're putting chains on a commuter car you've got bigger things to worry about, if you're really nervous get some snow tires and you'll be fine.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 3,082 Times in 961 Posts
Have you thought about hiring a vehicle transport company?
Old 11-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
If you're travelling the coq this time of year please have dedicated winter tires. All seasons do not cut it.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did think about getting a transport company but that would cost 5-600 and I'm not 100% sure I would pick it up so I dont want to book a day without confirming everything. And If I do pickup the car, companies can't just be on standby to come and pick up at your convenience.

The car has all seasons on it, I wouldnt go out of my way to pickup another set of snow tires unless I absolutely have to. I guess I will have to determine if its really worth how much cheaper it is and make the trek up there to drive it back.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,080 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by und3f3at3d View Post
Looking to pickup an Accord, I think the car has all seasons on it
Is it a 1990-1993 by any chance? and modified?
TopsyCrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Roads up here are dry right now, but snow is in the forecast for later this week. You could always check castanet.net for some used snow tires on rims for the drive home; a few hundred bucks extra for a safe trip home would be worth it for me. You could even sell the snows when you get home to recoup some/all of their cost.