REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Syncing vs Backing up - same thing?

Here is a question to all the tech guru's on here....

If i'm syncing my info on say an external drive with 2TB of space which offers a "dropbox" like feature, do I still need to backup my laptop to the same external drive? Aren't I effectively doing the same thing?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
you are effectively doing the same thing, however, there is one minor difference to my knowledge. when you sync, it basically mirrors folders from one device to another. so if one folder has any changes, the other mirrored device will change as well. where as when you backup, you copy the files. you may do all the changes you want, but would not affect the back up copy, therefore, if you mess up you can use your backup to restore to that point.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:07 AM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
you are effectively doing the same thing, however, there is one minor difference to my knowledge. when you sync, it basically mirrors folders from one device to another. so if one folder has any changes, the other mirrored device will change as well. where as when you backup, you copy the files. you may do all the changes you want, but would not affect the back up copy, therefore, if you mess up you can use your backup to restore to that point.
Yes, this is correct.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Backing up isn't necessarily just copying files. There are all kinds of different backup methods, some of which only keep the latest version of a file, some that keep multiple versions. Some sync methods keep multiple versions as well, so you can always back-level on files that get messed up.

Some backup systems also "glob" all the designated files together into one or more large archive files, while others just make individual copies of the selected files.

Other than that, Alby's answer is correct: sync generally keeps a real-time running clone of the files going, whereas backup only updates or replaces the files when it's told to (either manually, or on a schedule).

Note, sync is also usually bi-directional: if you edit the version of the external drive (say, with another computer), that should change the version on your local drive as well. Sync systems like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. let you access and edit the same files from multiple devices, and the changes will be reflected on all those devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote