REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #51
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
anyone with the sufficient motivation and planning could kill a large number of people if given the opportunity. the tool used seems irrelevant

Knife-wielding attackers kill 29 at China train station - CNN.com

Fifty killed in a knife attack at a Chinese colliery | MINING.com
Whats that got to do with R/C cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
They found them in their house, not at the scene.
Wonder why they left them at home.
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #52
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Whats that got to do with R/C cars?

Wunder why they left them at home.
because your whole hackneyed shtick is that strict gun regulations are an effective deterrence to violence, when in reality that almost never the case
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #53

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Wonder why they left them at home.
Probably because they realized the lack of gun laws made using guns a hell of a lot easier.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #54

Quote:
because your whole hackneyed shtick is that strict gun regulations are an effective deterrence to violence, when in reality that almost never the case
So it's just a coincidence the countries with the the strictest gun controls have the least amount of gun violence.

I guess you wish you could carry a gun with you 24/7 right?
Old 12-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #55
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
So it's just a coincidence the countries with the the strictest gun controls have the least amount of gun violence.

Do said countries have less overall violence and irrational actions? I'm no supporter of everyone having a gun but thinking it is the problem is wrong. The bottom line is mental stability/well being of people. If someones going to snap and do something crazy there is something mentally wrong with them and their thought process (Which human culture has completely ignored trying to teach/advise. This should be in a basic education to every human being on the face of the earth). They could make a bomb from home depot and harm a lot more people then walking around with a gun. Or use a bolt action rifle like the Beltway sniper.

When I look at how future societies will manage (when every human being will have access to much greater threats then a primitive gun, ie massively destructive devices in the palm of your hand) I only see them functioning with full monitoring of EVERYTHING we do (thoughts/messages/verbal communication/actions etc) to achieve the next version of mankind. There will be to much at stake to risk it. (This is many years from now, but where we should be looking)
classified is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #56

Quote:

uh huh. does it ever get tiring being a living caricature? Simply regurgitating your preconceived notions and beliefs without ever challenging them?

firearms were banned in 1996 in australia for the chart below

and no, i don't own any guns nor do i plan to.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by classified View Post
Do said countries have less overall violence and irrational actions?
Do those irrational actions cause death? Also just look at all the shootings/deaths that happen in the US because of carelessness.

Toddler reaches into purse and gun goes off, killing mom

Tennessee father and son dead after AR-15 goes off and ammunition-filled room explodes

Father Accidentally Shoots Seven-Year-Old Son Outside Gun Store

Dog named Trigger accidentally shoots owner in the foot | Americas | News | The Independent

I could go on for ever.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #58

Quote:
uh huh. does it ever get tiring being a living caricature? Simply regurgitating your preconceived notions and beliefs without ever challenging them?

firearms were banned in 1996 in australia for the chart below

and no, i don't own any guns nor do i plan to.
Australian Guns Stats : snopes.com

Those graphs are almost as bad as the Montana graph the NRA use to put out. It showed the number homicides committed in 4 European countries that equaled the same land mass as Montana. Claiming Montana was safer because of it's relaxed gun laws. What they didn't point out is that no one lives in Montana.

Also would you be O.K. with random people on the street you see having a gun on them?
Old 12-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #59

Quote:
Australian Guns Stats : snopes.com

Those graphs are almost as bad as the Montana graph the NRA use to put out. It showed the number homicides committed in 4 European countries that equaled the same land mass as Montana. Claiming Montana was safer because of it's relaxed gun laws. What they didn't point out is that no one lives in Montana.

Also would you be O.K. with random people on the street you see having a gun on them?
lol did you even read the article you posted rather than just look at the headline...taking from the article

"An examination of statistics from the Australian Institute of Criminology (AIC) reveals that the overall homicide rate in Australia has changed little over the past decade and actually dipped slightly after the 1997 gun buy-back program"

in fact, that chart is FROM the AIC itself...
http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/homicide.html

dude...you should fail yourself for that post LMAO

Last edited by Sid Vicious; 12-03-2015 at 12:56 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #60

Quote:
lol did you even read the article you posted rather than just look at the headline...taking from the article

"An examination of statistics from the Australian Institute of Criminology (AIC) reveals that the overall homicide rate in Australia has changed little over the past decade and actually dipped slightly after the 1997 gun buy-back program"

...which is exactly what the chart shows.
And how many mass shootings have happened since the laws came into place? The answer is ZERO.

Australia enacted strict gun laws after a horrific mass shooting in 1996. It worked.

Quote:
t, homicides by firearm plunged 59 percent between 1995 and 2006, with no corresponding increase in non-firearm-related homicides. The drop in suicides by gun was even steeper: 65 percent. Studies found a close correlation between the sharp declines and the gun buybacks. Robberies involving a firearm also dropped significantly. Meanwhile, home invasions did not increase, contrary to fears that firearm ownership is needed to deter such crimes. But here’s the most stunning statistic. In the decade before the Port Arthur massacre, there had been 11 mass shootings in the country. There hasn’t been a single one in Australia since.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #61
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
We get it, guns terrify you.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #62

Quote:
And how many mass shootings have happened since the laws came into place? The answer is ZERO.

Australia enacted strict gun laws after a horrific mass shooting in 1996. It worked.
dude stop it...you're wrecking yourself LMAO

2011 Hectorville siege: A shooting that took place on 29 April 2011, in Hectorville, South Australia. It began after a 39-year-old male, Donato Anthony Corbo, shot four people on a neighbouring property (three of whom died), and also wounded two police officers, before being arrested by Special Operations police after an eight-hour siege.

Hunt family murders: Murder-suicide shooting spree by Geoff Hunt who killed his wife and three children before turning the gun on himself

The Melbourne gangland killings were the murders in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia of 36 criminal figures or partners between 16 January 1998 and 13 August 2010. The murders were in a series of retributional murders involving various underworld groups.

On 15–16 December 2014, a lone gunman, Man Haron Monis, held hostage ten customers and eight employees of a Lindt chocolate café located at Martin Place in Sydney, Australia. Police treated the event as a terrorist attack at the time[12][13] but Monis' motives have subsequently been debated.[14]

...yes...zero indeed
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #63
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Can we stop with the constant anti-gun/pro-gun argument ad nauseum in every mass shooting thread and stick to the facts of this particular event please?

Shooters may have been 'radicalized' - whatever the hell that means:
San Bernardino: Shooter Farook appears radicalized - CNN.com

Seems like we should stop worrying about the single-men refugees we're trying to keep out and start worrying about the families who we are trying to let in that will spawn these future folk.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
We get it, guns terrify you.
No idiots do.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #65
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
No idiots with guns do.
fixed.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #66

Quote:
fixed.
Yep like these people:

Old 12-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #67
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
San Bernardino: Shooter Farook appears radicalized - CNN.com
Not sure what can really be done in this case. The guy's profile fits all the standard "normal" citizen that wouldn't flip out. Steady, well-paying job, wife (albeit the wife was brought over from the Middle East -- possibly Pakistan -- on a fiancee visa), a 6 month old baby, etc. You can't ban people from re-entering the country simply because they have travelled to Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, or elsewhere in the Middle East. No country or government agency has the resources to monitor everyone for extended periods after they've traveled to Middle Eastern countries either.

It may well have something to do with being radicalized, as the shooter has discussed Islam with his coworkers and made remarks about how "Americans don't understand Islam", and the guy has traveled to Saudi Arabia for a little over a week in summer 2014.

Last edited by Traum; 12-03-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #68

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Can we stop with the constant anti-gun/pro-gun argument ad nauseum in every mass shooting thread and stick to the facts of this particular event please?

1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
, and the guy has traveled to Saudi Arabia for a little over a week in summer 2014.
He went for the Hajj something every able bodied Muslim must do at least once in there life time.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #70
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Okay, let's be honest here. Gun related crimes in America actually aren't that bad, when you look at it on a world stage. Most statistics rank the USA in the high 20's/low 30's (based on how many years it's counted on) when it comes to per capita firearms violence or homicide. Yes, there have been hundreds of mass shootings in the recent past, but when you account for the population total, it more or less makes statistic sense.

When you look at stats (and I mean proper statistic websites, not left- or right-leaning fear mongering sites), you start seeing a picture that's quite interesting to behold. Even if you ignore the countries that are currently under political strife and civil war, the USA isn't the only developed country on the list. It's too much to type out and reference but there's an obvious pattern between firearm deaths, living conditions and overall mentality. Mexico is a developed country with fewer guns per capita (15 per 100,) yet it has a higher death rate than the USA (9.97 per 100,000.) On the flip side, Switzerland ranks 4th in the world for gun ownership (46 per 100,) yet their firearm death rate is very low (0.77 per 100,000.) As a comparison, Canada has 30.8 guns per 100 and a firearm death rate of 0.51 per 100,000.

If gun control had been better regulated in the past, would it have prevented many of these incidents? Of course. And as I've already mentioned earlier, I think the time has long passed where new legislature would be at all effective. There are just too many guns floating around now. No, the bigger issue at play is the socioeconomics within the American culture. I feel that their healthcare issue is also partially to blame, at least when it comes to decent availability for mental health issues.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #71
Head Moderator

Quote:
Fuck, that last clip.

There's a fucking reason why you never EVER look down the barrel of your gun, especially when it's loaded.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #72
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Lomac, where are you getting your stats from? just curious.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #73
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Okay maybe "facts" was too exclusive of a term. "reporting" then.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #74
Head Moderator

Quote:
Lomac, where are you getting your stats from? just curious.
A mixture of UNODC.org, smallarmssurvey.org, AMSTAT publications, and the various links on the UN Stats page (http://unstats.un.org/unsd/default.htm)
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #75
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Wonder if the shooter went over the edge because of this guy?

One of the victims of the San Bernardino massacre was a Messianic Jew who filled his Facebook page with condemnations of Muslims and impassioned screeds against jihadist terror.

Quote:
“On behalf of this guy… You can stick your Million Muslim March up your asses,” victim Nicholas Thalasinos posted on Sept. 11, 2013, alongside a photo of a shirtless victim plummeting to his death from the burning World Trade Center.

Another post from October 2013 included a photograph of another man plummeting to his death from the Trade Center. Above it, Thalasinos posted the quote, “’The sweetest sound I know is the Muslim call to prayer’ — Barack Hussein Obama.”

References to Israel and “Turbanheads” fill his pages.

Under “Education,” Thalasinos listed on Facebook, “Studied Conservatism at Limbaugh Institute of Advanced Conservative Studies.”

His last post, made Tuesday, was a response to a Ukrainian man, Med Ali Zarouk, who’d posted, “You will never sucsseed[sic] to make a country for jews, because you are criminals and cowards… soon you ll get your ass kicked, you will die dand never see israel as country believe me never.”

Thalasinos responded, “My new hobby appears to be BLOCKING PAGAN ANTISEMITIC TROGLODYTES so I’m just passing this along to warn others.”

Facebook friends poured out condolences Thursday, praising the father of two adult sons as a pro-life activist and crusader for Christ.

“He loved Messiah and I rejoice in knowing he is rejoicing with the ONE he has longed to meet,” responded one religious Facebook friend, Juda Myers.

Thalasinos’ wife, Jennifer Thalasinos, gathered numerous heartfelt condolence messages on her own Facebook page Thursday.

“May god comfort you and bring you peace,” wrote one friend. “You are blessed to have been his loving wife,” wrote another.

Officials say they will release victim identities later Thursday.
California massacre victim ranted about Muslims on Facebook | New York Post
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote