REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Massey Tunnel to be replaced with B.C.'s largest toll bridge (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706747-massey-tunnel-replaced-b-c-s-largest-toll-bridge.html)

StaxBundlez 12-16-2015 12:24 PM

Massey Tunnel to be replaced with B.C.'s largest toll bridge

Fun facts about the new Massey Bridge that is scheduled to start construction in 2017, and will be completed by 2022.

Massey Tunnel to be replaced with B.C.'s largest toll bridge - British Columbia - CBC News

hotjoint 12-16-2015 12:44 PM

Great, another tolled bridge. Same tolls at the port mann huh? So they basically want no one to take it. I don't get why they just don't toll every damn bridge and make it super cheap like $1 so people wouldn't go out of their way to avoid certain bridges, that would keep congestion low. IMO they would make their money back way quicker that way.

carisear 12-16-2015 12:48 PM

or, better yet, since this is major provincial infrastructure, have, you know, the tax that we already pay, pay for it.

I never take the port mann, but I think it should be untolled. it's part of hwy 1. and massey is part of 99. These should be fully funded by the feds+province.

hotjoint 12-16-2015 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carisear (Post 8708025)
or, better yet, since this is major provincial infrastructure, have, you know, the tax that we already pay, pay for it.

I never take the port mann, but I think it should be untolled. it's part of hwy 1. and massey is part of 99. These should be fully funded by the feds+province.

Totally agree with you about the tax part. I avoid the port mann unless I absolutely need to take it. $3.15 is a rip off. It was $1, I wouldn't even have to think twice about taking it or not.

Mr.HappySilp 12-16-2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotjoint (Post 8708029)
Totally agree with you about the tax part. I avoid the port mann unless I absolutely need to take it. $3.15 is a rip off. It was $1, I wouldn't even have to think twice about taking it or not.

what if every bridge is toll at 3.15? Then what will you do?

320icar 12-16-2015 01:05 PM

Guess I'll keep taking the Alex Fraser to get to Langley instead of the tunnel and whatever other connecting highway that is

quasi 12-16-2015 01:28 PM

I agree with everyone in here, if they don't toll every bridge (hopefully at a lower amount) you'll end up with the same issue you're seeing on the Port Mann with lots of people taking the non tolled route.

My biggest fear is them tolling every bridge but keeping the toll rate the same.

PiuYi 12-16-2015 02:13 PM

Oak street bridge going into Vancouver will be a fucking nightmare once this is done.... probably cars backed up all the way back onto the new bridge :lol

noclue 12-16-2015 03:51 PM

so glad I live north of the fraser river.

Pattulo probably going to be replaced as well. Alex fraser is the last one standing.

I wouldn't mind if they tolled lions gate bridge as well.

It's either tolls or high property taxes/additional gasoline tax folks (which usually becomes higher rent)

Y2K_o__o 12-16-2015 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotjoint (Post 8708021)
Great, another tolled bridge. Same tolls at the port mann huh? So they basically want no one to take it. I don't get why they just don't toll every damn bridge and make it super cheap like $1 so people wouldn't go out of their way to avoid certain bridges, that would keep congestion low. IMO they would make their money back way quicker that way.

They purposely overload other bridge just like Pattulo Bridge. Soon all the old bridges are getting obsoleted while same toll can be maintained. Why not?

Hondaracer 12-16-2015 04:42 PM

I very rarely take the tunnel, but the times I have it seems to me I'd be happy to pay a toll to avoid that nightmare, as I am with the port Mann

Berzerker 12-16-2015 04:54 PM

Toll all the things!!! The amount of money that Tranklink and the government waste in general (Fast Ferries anyone) could easily pay for these new bridges. I also like how they haven't put a time on the toll like they did for the Coquihala. Remember that used to be toll too. They maintained, and stuck with, the promise that once it was paid off, the toll booths would be removed. They haven't said that with the Bridges.

Berz out.

MuranoGO-15 12-16-2015 05:03 PM

For a casual user, I sorta like how I can take the new port mann bridge when I'm running late for doctors appointments or other things, cause there is never traffic on there, its worth the toll. Sometimes I need to get to richmond fast too, and always jammed up everywhere, it be nice to have a toll quick way in and out of there!

corollagtSr5 12-16-2015 05:14 PM

Now you gotta pay 6.30 to get to point Roberts and back when picking up packages lol. C-C-C-Combo breaker!

meme405 12-16-2015 05:27 PM

Lol.

Every single time its the same non-sense.

As I have said before, there is no fucking way in hell I will ever vote for the fuckhead who says "I will introduce tolls across all bridges". Not until the Lions gate bridge gets replaced by something somewhat less retarded.

Everyone seems to think they have the worst deal in the world, and that everyone else has it so easy. If you benefit from the new bridge they are installing, then you get to pay for it. It is very simple. If you choose to be cheap and make your life more diffcult by trying to circumvent the problem, well then you get to enjoy fucked up traffic.

It's like complaining about the price of gas, its pointless, pay it or just catch the fucking bus.

JesseBlue 12-16-2015 05:36 PM

Well i'll support anyone who'll toll all the bridges. Keep it consistent

twitchyzero 12-16-2015 10:17 PM

just purchase a helicopter
problem solved

PiuYi 12-16-2015 11:17 PM

ironically your helicopter will be hangared in Boundary Bay airport......just... south of the... Fraser :pokerface: