REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Lol taxi driver in Korea once told me... " Kia, hyundai.....no good!""

A few bodyshops told me Kia, hyundai try to cut corners while painting cars to keep costs low..
As someone else said..get Honda or Toyota.. Will last longer..better resale
Advertisement
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:46 AM   #27
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,188 Times in 361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
Lol taxi driver in Korea once told me... " Kia, hyundai.....no good!""

A few bodyshops told me Kia, hyundai try to cut corners while painting cars to keep costs low..
As someone else said..get Honda or Toyota.. Will last longer..better resale
Interesting to hear this, I remember the 12- Sonata being marketed as having a better paint process than Mercedes when it was released

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:48 AM   #28

Although more unreliable? I found the VW Touraeg had much better interior quality and materials than the 1st generation Cayenne did. E.g. the slow release handbrake, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I would not get one.

I've driven too many over the years. They impress initially, but after a few days, weeks, months, years, you start to notice how not-so-great they are. Friends I know who decided to go this route, in the same fashion you did, regret their decision, and these people grew up driving Japanese cars.

You may want to consider a Porsche Cayenne S that is dealer maintained. Most of the first owners are dumping them to get the Macan. They're underrated and unloved like the 996, but they are amazing and solid cars. You can pick a very nice one between $16 - $18K tops with plenty to spare for long-term maintenance and repairs. A friend of mine picked up a 2004 Cayenne S with 115,000km, dealer maintained for $16K. Sucks on gas, but it sure beats sitting in a crummy car for the next 5 years.

Any how, the only right choice is the one you make, like winson604 said. If you feel like the Kia is the right car for you, then get it. Only you can decide that, not us.

Good luck.

Past:
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
Old 01-12-2016, 05:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I plan on keeping the car for a long time. My parents never leased and every car they have had has lasted them 10+ years.

My budget is about $35k. I am seriously considering the Kia Sportage. A colleague of mine actually drives a Sportage and I took his for a test drive and I really like it.

Though, I was looking on CL and you can find a 2008 Audi Q5 for $25k. I'm really torn on what to do. I am leaning towards the older Q5 though.
I would not suggest the Sportage. Overly stiff suspension tune with no real driving dynamics (typical Hyundai), very limited visibility, and cramped interior quarters.

Past:
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
Old 01-12-2016, 05:57 AM   #30
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
My cousin and his partner have purchased three Kias. Out of them, one (the second that they purchased) was a complete lemon that was in the shop for months on end. The dealership eventually offered to sell them another Kia for a bargin (which became the third one they purchased) because they couldn't find a way to make it run with any degree of reasonable reliability. One out of their three cars being a complete lemon and the other two being only OK is enough to stear me clear of the brand. Stick to Honda/Toyota.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:59 AM   #31
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

just get the new nissan rogue. stay away from kia (the new honda). cars like Kia should only be used as rental fleets in canada.
in terms of import car overall ranking: Lexus>Nissan/infiniti>Toyota>Hyundai>Honda/Acura>Kia
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #32
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
I'm no car guy except for that fact that I drive them but I've had great experiences with my Mazda 6 so far, 6 years old now. Have another Mazda at home a 2003 Protege 5 which has also been great until recently but then again it's at like 200 clicks now.

I hear the new Skyactiv shiet isn't too bad but again I'm no car guy, I really don't know shit all.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I can agree the paint on the kias suck, you can see the orange peel on them pretty readily.

The quality on them I would say is on par with Hyundai. Many of the parts and design come from the same factory and likely undergo the same quality conttol

I should mention that Kia has an attractive warranty period of 5yrs or 100k, full coverage and as a tech I've put tons of stuff through warranty that I probably shouldn't have lol

The only times where I've seen catastrophic engine failure is usually when the customer goes 20k over there service interval. Pull the valve cover off and it's full of sludge. I guess due to the customer base, it can attract a lot of people who don't take care of their vehicles, and evidently can put the image of the brand to shit.

I don't work there anymore, but if you are looking for a reliable vehicle, although they do lack some driving dynamic, (optima turbo pack a ton of horsepower but they aren't that fun to drive) don't be afraid to pick one up.
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #34

Anyone have any experience with the Kia Soul? All the reviews online (Motortrend, Autoblog, KBB etc.) seem to give it glowing reviews. My mom is looking for a new car and she seems to like them. I'm trying to steer her towards a Mazda 3 hatch or Honda Fit, maybe Elantra GT.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #35
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
If you love your mom, please do not let her get a Kia Soul. I got one as a rental and it was such a fucking piece of shit. They are meant to be leased and part of rental fleets. Fuck no.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #36
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08civicsi_coupe View Post
we own a 2015 optima turbo and all i can say is don't buy a kia their after service is terrible and our has had a whole new engine and been in the shop 3 of the 6 months we've owned it
This is pretty typical of new kia's. I advise to stay away from them as I seen people brand new kia being towed in for serious engine issues. Also we have some soul's in the fleet and there always getting something fixed under warranty.
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Kia Soul? All the reviews online (Motortrend, Autoblog, KBB etc.) seem to give it glowing reviews. My mom is looking for a new car and she seems to like them. I'm trying to steer her towards a Mazda 3 hatch or Honda Fit, maybe Elantra GT.
Lemon-Aid 2015 review of Kia Soul
Quote:
Road performance: Some powerful engines and fuel-sipping powertrains (the 2.0L is a better choice for reserve power), although the base engine could use more grunt at low engine rpm; a compliant suspension, without undue body roll or front-end plow; and fairly agile cornering, with good steering feedback. A busy highway ride.

Strong points: Inexpensive and well equipped with safety devices like ABS, stability control, six airbags, and active head restraints - features that are rare on entry-level small cars. User-friendly, simple controls; plenty of interior room, especially when it comes to headroom; excellent front and side visibility; and comfortable seats.

Weak points: Ominpresent rattles; excessive wind and road noise; and many body, fit, and finish glitches. Poor-quality, easily broken, or prematurely worn interior items. The AC defroster may not clear the windshield. Owners decry a plethora of fit and finish deficiencies, including excessive condensation in the headlights, chips in the glass and paint, and door panels that scratch with the slightest touch. Steering wheel noise and vibration repair. Fuel economy is seriously overstated.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #38
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Soul is ugly as Faaaak!
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #39
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

CR-Cars-II-Brand-Comparison-Chart-10-15.jpg

reliability scores
dc5typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #40

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
^porsche really dropped. IIRC, Porsche was top 3 before.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote