REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,742 Times in 698 Posts
Does anyone own a 2010+ Kia?

I am in the market for a new car and i've been jumping around quite a bit.
I've been looking for a new car for about a year now. I can't make up my mind.

Though, I keep coming back to Kia.

My concern is the durability of it. My parents have a 2000 BMW and the car is still solid and the interior still looks pretty good.

I'm a little iffy on the branding of Kia, but honestly, I feel my ego is big enough to drive a Kia. It's getting great reviews on JD power for quality and all other review sites.

I'm looking at the Kia Sorento or possibly the Cadenza. But, I like the idea of a SUV.

Any comments on Kia and your experience would be great.
Advertisement
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
can't comment on SUV but my boss financed a kia forte hatch sport model new and had it for a few years. just recently traded it in on impulse for a mazda SUV.

i've sat in his car for work frequently over the years. seemed like a good car to me. didn't give him problems that i know of other than 1 flat tire. earlier this year.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,182 Times in 356 Posts
I drive a lot of Kias through the StudentCarShare program, here's what I've noticed.

Pros:
Good feature load for your money.
Attractive styling.

Cons:
Really cheap mechanical build quality - cars at 44000k were having issues with ball joint noise.
Things like transmission are programmed for longevity. The Rio at 148hp with less weight than a Corolla is much slower to 60 due to torque converter saving measures.
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
just look up the consumer reviews for the kia model you're considering. lots of people dont like the little kia's..
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-19-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

My coworker who got a 2015 Kia has been having a nightmare of an experience with them. Their after service is horrendous.
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Have you considered the CX-3? Nifty little sub compact. The rides nice. The features are good. Bells and Whistles = 35k tax in.

I'm been really eyeing this one!

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
brother-in-law in an auto tech and from what he said kia always comes in for service event hose brand new ones so I would stay away.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Only know of a coworker who has KIA Sorento and she's been dealing with headaches so far with her cars electronics shutting her entire car down twice now while she was on the highway both times she could have been killed going from 100km/hr to car dieing. Luckily escaped with no accidents both times. Her cars been in the shop multiple times over the past 6 months and thank god she's under warranty.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2015, 09:58 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Go for it. If you like it then that is what matters. If branding is your thing then so be it and buy the name brand.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I've test driven some (mainly Fortes when I was car hunting several months ago). Wasn't blown away.

Never owned one, don't know anyone who does.

Features for the dollar seems to be the main draw.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:14 AM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,494 Times in 555 Posts
I drive Kias almost everyday at work. Feel free to AMA!

The Rondo has to be my favorite. It has seven seats and has enough room for shit if you fold the rear seats but it's not a Mormon Assault Vehicle.

Also it's available in manual

Sorento is really nice as well. Very comfortable, quick-ish, and AWD.

Spoiler!
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Last edited by Klondike; 12-20-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2015, 08:38 AM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

<- 2011 Sorrento SX owner, close to 100k mileage so far.

Other than regular oil change, maintenances
Ive been to services 3 times.
2x door not opening from outside - fixed under warranty
1x just last month, swaybar or something lose, worn out, making knocking noise when driving over bumps - fixed under warranty.

In almost 5 years, i would say it's been really good to me *knock on wood**smash wood*
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
I drive Kias almost everyday at work. Feel free to AMA!

The Rondo has to be my favorite. It has seven seats and has enough room for shit if you fold the rear seats but it's not a Mormon Assault Vehicle.

Also it's available in manual

Sorento is really nice as well. Very comfortable, quick-ish, and AWD.

Spoiler!
It seems serving the Kia's may be an issue, do you notice that the Kia's come in for service quite a bit?

I'm worried about durability and maintenance. Can you comment on that, or do you just drive the newer cars?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
<- 2011 Sorrento SX owner, close to 100k mileage so far.

Other than regular oil change, maintenances
Ive been to services 3 times.
2x door not opening from outside - fixed under warranty
1x just last month, swaybar or something lose, worn out, making knocking noise when driving over bumps - fixed under warranty.

In almost 5 years, i would say it's been really good to me *knock on wood**smash wood*
Thanks for this. I'm really skeptical now since many of you claim the servicing isn't the greatest. Argh... I really like Kia. I like where they are going, but maybe they're just not there yet. I guess it's tough to compete with a Honda or Toyota in terms of durability and low maintenance
Old 12-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #15

which Sorrento or Cadenza, trim are you looking at?
if we know your price range, and kind of options you are looking for. maybe someone can suggest alternatives.

I went with SX because I wanted 3rd row seat.
at that time, nothing with 3rd row seats came close to SX price range.
plus financing % was unbeatable.
Now I realize 3rd row seat is completely useless, not just Serrento, but all SUV in general.... i should've bought mini-van instead.... lol
Old 12-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #16
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,494 Times in 555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
It seems serving the Kia's may be an issue, do you notice that the Kia's come in for service quite a bit?

I'm worried about durability and maintenance. Can you comment on that, or do you just drive the newer cars?
Other than regular oil changes, the kias in our fleet haven't had any issues.

I do drive the newer Kias (2014-16) so I can't comment on long-term durability.

They (the cars) still run and drive smooth, even after being beat on (they're rental cars).
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:25 AM   #17

Quote:

Ahh the buying new car debate. I hear ya brotha I know KIA's and stuff are so tempting b/c of bang for the buck and while I can't comment first hand how they are I'm just not there personally with Korean cars. They've come a long way but I rather pay more/get less buying a Honda or Toyota etc but that's just me.

Like someone mentioned, why don't you give us the budget taxes in and what you're looking for. I know you're capable of searching yourself but maybe there's some good options out there you're forgetting. I'm assuming you were thinking of a brand new KIA? if yes, maybe you buy a 1-3 year old used Honda/Toyota/Mazda which would drop that price down a bit but still give you a very new car still under warranty?

Old 12-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #18

My dad has a 2014 Kia Forte. Had it for 2.5 years now and all he has done is oil changes/basic servicing.

It is nothing exceptional and won`t set the world on fire, but a good point A to B car. It looks good and it has a ton of features for the price. Power folding mirrors on a $21k car? Drives pretty decently too with the 174hp engine.

Remember that Kia shares a lot of its parts bin with Hyundai, so take that for what it is since Hyundai has really pushed through the market in terms of reliability over the past 5 years.

At this point, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase Korean for a daily driver anymore IMHO (although I still drive Japanese...).
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #19

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
If you plan to keep the car for only the duration of the warranty period (4-5 years), long-term reliability shouldn't really be a factor. What are your plans for your new car? Do you want to drive it for 8-10 years? If so, then you have to weigh the cost of buying a more proven brand vs saving money today/getting more bang for your buck.

You should also consider the complexity of the car you're buying. If you opt for AWD, then you'll have to be aware of maintaining the transfer case and differential. If you buy an AWD, make sure you have good powertrain coverage. Ditto the automatic transmission. I doubt you're looking at manuals, but something else to consider is that modern CVTs are relatively unproven in terms of long-term reliability. Who makes transmissions for Kia/Hyundai? Is it GM? Or some other company? Or you considering a turbo-charged engine? Again, more complexity in turbo engines means more things can give you trouble down the road.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #20

I plan on keeping the car for a long time. My parents never leased and every car they have had has lasted them 10+ years.

My budget is about $35k. I am seriously considering the Kia Sportage. A colleague of mine actually drives a Sportage and I took his for a test drive and I really like it.

Though, I was looking on CL and you can find a 2008 Audi Q5 for $25k. I'm really torn on what to do. I am leaning towards the older Q5 though.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #21
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Just buy a Japanese car instead. You will have better luck driving a Honda or Toyota than a car that's made by a company that has a bad reputation for lousy cars. This accounts for Hyundai as well, as some of their parts are from Kia.
8000rpmvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #22

Quote:
I plan on keeping the car for a long time. My parents never leased and every car they have had has lasted them 10+ years.

My budget is about $35k. I am seriously considering the Kia Sportage. A colleague of mine actually drives a Sportage and I took his for a test drive and I really like it.

Though, I was looking on CL and you can find a 2008 Audi Q5 for $25k. I'm really torn on what to do. I am leaning towards the older Q5 though.
So many possibilities and sometimes you may not know what the right choice is until later but at that point there's no point looking back to think what if. The right choice now is whatever choice you make.

if it were up to me I would not go Korean, no offence to them but I don't have that long term trust yet. As for the older Q5, yea it's tempting, I mean used cars are tempting in the fact you can get a car you otherwise would have never purchased brand new but I'm not a fan of used cars, 7 years that's a ot of potential problems waiting to happen for me. Plenty of people have good experiences with used cars and I'm not saying it's a bad choice I'm just saying it ain't for me as I like to be worry free with that stuff.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #23
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
I would not get one.

I've driven too many over the years. They impress initially, but after a few days, weeks, months, years, you start to notice how not-so-great they are. Friends I know who decided to go this route, in the same fashion you did, regret their decision, and these people grew up driving Japanese cars.

You may want to consider a Porsche Cayenne S that is dealer maintained. Most of the first owners are dumping them to get the Macan. They're underrated and unloved like the 996, but they are amazing and solid cars. You can pick a very nice one between $16 - $18K tops with plenty to spare for long-term maintenance and repairs. A friend of mine picked up a 2004 Cayenne S with 115,000km, dealer maintained for $16K. Sucks on gas, but it sure beats sitting in a crummy car for the next 5 years.

Any how, the only right choice is the one you make, like winson604 said. If you feel like the Kia is the right car for you, then get it. Only you can decide that, not us.

Good luck.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #24

If I had to choose between two, i go with Kia
Doesn't matter Toyota or Audi
All cars start squeak after 10 years
At least with kia you'll have next 5 years of warranty to fall back on. Q5, if it breaks as soon as you drive out the lot, you are SOL.
maybe used rav4 or CRV at even lower prices than that Q5?
Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #25
I don't get it

we own a 2015 optima turbo and all i can say is don't buy a kia their after service is terrible and our has had a whole new engine and been in the shop 3 of the 6 months we've owned it
2007 civic si coupe turbo with 535whp on the mustang dyno (sold)
2010 Dodge ram 1500 quad cab slt (sold)
2003 j's racing s2000 comptech supercharged (parted)
2008 civic si coupe (traded)
2006 toyota 4runner limited (traded)
92 civic eg hatch turbo d16 11.7 quarter (parted)
90 eagle talon (rip)
89 toyota celica gts (sold)
08civicsi_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote