REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 12-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Dine Out Vancouver 2016!

That time of the year again, just announced!

Dine Out Vancouver Festival 2015

Jan 15 - 31

Like last year seems like there is no early access with AMEX holders... I think they dropped out as a sponsor last year and this year as well.....
Advertisement
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Ugghh dineout. For cheap people to eat at restaurants they usually can't afford to eat at a faction of the price, a fraction of the service, and a fraction of the taste.
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Dine out is pretty old and boring now. They need a refresh.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

It's always sad and heartbreaking to see dine out restaurants that were previously 28 turn to 38 to up their profit margin.
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

Dine out used to be good the first few years, now it's not worth it.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

You guys do know that ingredients for food has gone up significantly the last few years right?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #7

Exactly why it needs to go. The price barely changes so quality and portions are reduced.

But I guess there is still a market for cheap people to need to pretend to have ate at an expensive restaurant even though they cannot afford it through a subsidy like dineout
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Can't see the list of restaurant
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Can't see the list of restaurant
"Reservations launch right here on Wednesday, January 6th."

Should be up tomorrow.
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
Exactly why it needs to go. The price barely changes so quality and portions are reduced.

But I guess there is still a market for cheap people to need to pretend to have ate at an expensive restaurant even though they cannot afford it through a subsidy like dineout

Yeah not everyone is as high society as you.

Here's a full list for anyone that cares:

Dine Out Vancouver 2016 features record-setting 288 restaurants | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

You can make the reservations already with those dates.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #11

^Enlighten me the meaning/point of going to a restaurant to experience half the quality for like, 80% of what you would usually pay. It's like going to a factory outlet for designer items. Could hidden gems be found? Yes. But a lot of it is just discount wholesale stuff that nobody wants.
To each their own I guess. Apologies if I offended you
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2016, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
^Enlighten me the meaning/point of going to a restaurant to experience half the quality for like, 80% of what you would usually pay. It's like going to a factory outlet for designer items. Could hidden gems be found? Yes. But a lot of it is just discount wholesale stuff that nobody wants.
If this is all people can afford then just let them 'visit' the restaurant that you normally can visit anytime you want. I notice no difference in quality for say Miku during dine out and their regular days so that's a restaurant I don't mind visiting.

There are also restaurants I will never visit but wouldn't mind trying via Dine Out. I've also noticed West has always been consistent with their quality, dine out or otherwise.

I just don't think anyone needs to be on a high horse when it comes to food. I've had meals where its $200 and I've had meals where it cost me less than $5, as long as it taste good, its good. At the end it's all about the joy and company you experience, some people are content and happy with factory outlet goods.

Some people may want to just visit the restaurant and ambience but can't afford to on a regular night. Not everyone has a high horse to ride on because horses are expensive.

Have we gotten to the point in society where we look down on people who can't afford the living standards that match our own?
Old 01-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
If this is all people can afford then just let them 'visit' the restaurant that you normally can visit anytime you want. I notice no difference in quality for say Miku during dine out and their regular days so that's a restaurant I don't mind visiting.

There are also restaurants I will never visit but wouldn't mind trying via Dine Out. I've also noticed West has always been consistent with their quality, dine out or otherwise.

I just don't think anyone needs to be on a high horse when it comes to food. I've had meals where its $200 and I've had meals where it cost me less than $5, as long as it taste good, its good. At the end it's all about the joy and company you experience, some people are content and happy with factory outlet goods.

Some people may want to just visit the restaurant and ambience but can't afford to on a regular night. Not everyone has a high horse to ride on because horses are expensive.

Have we gotten to the point in society where we look down on people who can't afford the living standards that match our own?
Nobody's looking down on anyone, people are simply voicing their opinion on how they feel dine out degrades the experience of certain restaurants. You claim that your experiences with dine out have been good, well mine have been distinctly terrible. I've only ever participated in dine out twice, and both times the experience was beyond bad. Quality was shit compared to how the restaurant is usually, service was poor, and rushed, and the set menu was not up to par.

I don't look down on anyone, for trying restaurants during dine out, by all means that's why it's there and is great for many; however, I myself seek out restaurants which do not participate in dine out, that may mean that I end up eating at five guys instead of Miku, makes no difference to me.

On that same note: this applies to groupon as well. As soon as a groupon appears for somewhere, might as well avoid that place like the plague, it becomes a zoo, and a mess.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post

Again, apologies if I offended you. If it matters, I cannot afford to visit a nice restaurant regularly. Unlike you, my experiences at Bacchus, Keg, Joe Fortes in the past has left a sour taste in my mouth, and I have had been to the restaurants after (Bacchus) and before (JF, Keg) dineout and service and quality are definitely noticeable. I agree a meal should not be judged by its price, thats why instead of participating, I choose to avoid expensive places and eat cheap good food until I can blow my load on something fancy.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #15
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
meh. I see dine out as a cheap way to gather with friends. I mean if dine out is for cheap ppl who pretend they can afford at these places then what about groupon? TravelZoo? coupons or when ppl travel on deals when plane tickets/hotel are on sale? Or how about people who only shop when stuff goes on sale IE Black Friday or Cyber Monday or Boxing week? I see lot's of fellow RS love to buy things during those time? Is it wrong to try to save money?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #16
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Any suggestions on DineOut restaurants this year for the $30-$40 range based on previous experiences?
axxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #17
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

weird, how come some restaurant does not have the reservation bottom?

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #18
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Foodie here who doesn't like being called a foodie according to my coworkers but in the past I've done 2-3 dineouts a year except for the past 3 years which I've gone to none.

My experience has always been that the food and service was below what I would normally experience at the same place outside of dineout. I don't work in the kitchen so I don't know but it almost seemed like because they were making the same few dishes in high quantities that more pre cooking and having shit sit around was the case where as on a normal night it would be made to order. Service pending on how high end the place was seemed like they were looking down on you.

Again, just my experience I have had good dineout experiences too but mostly unforgettable.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Foodie here who doesn't like being called a foodie according to my coworkers but in the past I've done 2-3 dineouts a year except for the past 3 years which I've gone to none.

My experience has always been that the food and service was below what I would normally experience at the same place outside of dineout. I don't work in the kitchen so I don't know but it almost seemed like because they were making the same few dishes in high quantities that more pre cooking and having shit sit around was the case where as on a normal night it would be made to order. Service pending on how high end the place was seemed like they were looking down on you.

Again, just my experience I have had good dineout experiences too but mostly unforgettable.
Quote:
Exactly what I meant.

The boxing day/plane ticket sales comparison doesn't work. In those instances I'm getting same product for less. Dineout, I am paying less, but I am also getting an inferior product (food/service)
Old 01-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #20

So everyone in this thread just to shit on it?
Old 01-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxess View Post
Any suggestions on DineOut restaurants this year for the $30-$40 range based on previous experiences?
miku,minami, west.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:50 PM   #22
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:

Who's man is this ?
Old 01-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #23
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Not every restaurant joins for the same reasons, there are definitely gems. We have started participating a couple years ago, each year it gives the chefs a chance to create some new 3-course meals that we normally don't do as Ebisu is more of a tapas restaurant. For $30 it is definitely a bargain, which is what we are trying to offer to customers during this event.

Dinner Menu Price: $30

APPETIZER

Ahi Tuna Tartare
Fresh marinated red tuna, local uni, Japanese caviar, avocado, gobo chips, pickled shallots, chives and ginger dressing.

or

Lobster & Crab Motoyaki Bruschetta
Fresh Nova Scotia Lobster, BC Dungeness crab, zucchini and button mushrooms with Ebisu sauce on rosemary garlic infused olive oil baguette

ENTREE

Applesmoked Sablefish
Marinated Alaskan Black Cod smoked with apple chips, Black Tiger shrimp, broad beans, shiitake, and braised daikon in bonito yuzu broth

or

Roasted Duck & Foie Gras
Fraser Valley Duck Breast, Teriyaki-style Foie Gras and capers with spinach, shiitake, edamame in miso broth risotto

DESSERT

Kabocha Creme Brulee
Japanese Ebisu squash served with mochi puffs and matcha chocolate whip

or

Black and White Tofu Cheese Cake
Black sesame and silky tofu layered cream cheese cake with cookie crumble crust

Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #24

Quote:

On one hand you apologize if you are offending people for enjoying Dine Out on the other hand you shit on it so hard name calling cheap people who aren't on your level.

hmm.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Not every restaurant joins for the same reasons, there are definitely gems. We have started participating a couple years ago, each year it gives the chefs a chance to create some new 3-course meals that we normally don't do as Ebisu is more of a tapas restaurant. For $30 it is definitely a bargain, which is what we are trying to offer to customers during this event.

Dinner Menu Price: $30

APPETIZER

Ahi Tuna Tartare
Fresh marinated red tuna, local uni, Japanese caviar, avocado, gobo chips, pickled shallots, chives and ginger dressing.

or

Lobster & Crab Motoyaki Bruschetta
Fresh Nova Scotia Lobster, BC Dungeness crab, zucchini and button mushrooms with Ebisu sauce on rosemary garlic infused olive oil baguette

ENTREE

Applesmoked Sablefish
Marinated Alaskan Black Cod smoked with apple chips, Black Tiger shrimp, broad beans, shiitake, and braised daikon in bonito yuzu broth

or

Roasted Duck & Foie Gras
Fraser Valley Duck Breast, Teriyaki-style Foie Gras and capers with spinach, shiitake, edamame in miso broth risotto

DESSERT

Kabocha Creme Brulee
Japanese Ebisu squash served with mochi puffs and matcha chocolate whip

or

Black and White Tofu Cheese Cake
Black sesame and silky tofu layered cream cheese cake with cookie crumble crust

May have to add you guys to my list.