REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Garbage landslide flattens 33 Apartment Buildings (China)

Just heard about this today, thought there would be a thread already! (or am i blind?)

China landslide: Rescuers search for 85 people still missing - BBC News

Quote:
Hundreds of rescue workers are looking for survivors after a landslide hit 33 buildings in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen.

Seven people were pulled from the rubble with minor injuries but 85 are still missing. About 900 were evacuated as the landslide struck on Sunday.

Authorities said a huge man-made mound of earth and construction debris lost stability and collapsed.

The city is one of China's biggest and is a major industrial centre.

It is situated in the southern province of Guangdong, across the mainland border from Hong Kong.

The landslide has blanketed a vast area of 380,000 sq m (455,000 sq yards) covering it with up to 10m (32ft) of mud at an industrial park, Shenzhen's emergency management office said on its official microblog.

State news agency Xinhua said that the landslide caused an explosion at a natural gas pipeline. Workers have cleaned up about 400m of damaged pipeline and are now repairing it.

China's land and resources ministry said in a statement on its website that initial investigations showed the landslide happened when a huge mound of soil, cement chunks and other construction waste became unstable.

"Because the mound was very large, and the angle of its slope was overly steep, this led to it losing stability and collapsing," it said.

People's Daily said the mound had accumulated at a stone quarry that had been converted into a dumping area with its entrance and exit facing an industrial district.

Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:47 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
looks like diarrhea. One of the reasons Mainland Chinese move to Vancouver.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2015, 06:36 AM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Not surprise. Anyone who actually been to China (not just the tourist attractions) shouldn't be surprise at all. It seems to be that most buildings in China don't really follow a standard building code like we do here (At least apartments that's less than 10 floor or so). Very little machinery is being used for apartments that's less than 10 floor (I seen workers just placing bricks on top of one an another to build a small shop). They also mix concrete with hands which is really bad, you need to use a machine to mix them.

Waiting for Gululu to come and defend China and how this is all fake and again the west is trying to bring down China. Nothing like this will ever happen in China because they all follow the laws.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
arent most of the buildings in china are pre-fab? arent pre-fab not as stable as normal built building??
Old 12-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Not surprise. Anyone who actually been to China (not just the tourist attractions) shouldn't be surprise at all. It seems to be that most buildings in China don't really follow a standard building code like we do here (At least apartments that's less than 10 floor or so). Very little machinery is being used for apartments that's less than 10 floor (I seen workers just placing bricks on top of one an another to build a small shop). They also mix concrete with hands which is really bad, you need to use a machine to mix them. .
this whole paragraph was just too funny to read....especially the mixing concrete part
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
i do agree with happyslip, my place in China has a giant crack in the kitchen

good thing i rent the place and will be moving out next year

not every building is like how happy says it to be, but a lot of the old building are

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
i do agree with happyslip, my place in China has a giant crack in the kitchen

good thing i rent the place and will be moving out next year

not every building is like how happy says it to be, but a lot of the old building are
I think a lot of taller apartments in large city are pretty safe. Just the ones in smaller cities and not as high that's when there are issues.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote