REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Router Recommendation?

I am using a cheap $20 linksys N router at home now.
It works mostly, but whenever I max out my torrents DL speed, it would lose connection (about 2.5MB/s, I basically have to cap my DL speed at 2MB/s)
Transferring files between computers on wifi is also painfully slow for whatever reason. (300K/s)

So I am looking to replace it with something more permanent.
Don't mind spending around $200 if it is worth it. But honestly, beside speed, I think stability is more important. (i.e. you don't have to restart it every few weeks)
Which brand is typically known to be the most stable? (linksys, TP-link, DLink, Asus, Netgear, etc)

Right now, I am looking at these 2 routers in particular:
Amazon.com: D-Link Systems AC1750 High Power Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (DIR-859): Computers & Accessories
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUSDVBQ?psc=1
Both are about $100cad. TP-Link doesn't have QoS(not even sure if I need it), the Dlink looks good except some review says it doesn't do well with long ethernet cable (which I might end up using)

Any other recommendation?
And is it worth it to go with a more expensive router like Asus RT-AC87, Netgear AC1900, etc if I plan to use it for a long time? Is there much benefit with the expensive router for an average user?
Advertisement
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
From what ppl say D-link routers are really shitty now. Netgear or TrendNet are good. Mind I have a linksys one from a few years ago and is great. Cost around $160 though.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
would avoid dlink at all cost. i have several cisco rv routers running and they are great. also asus RT line is pretty good as well.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:06 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Rockin' an ASUS RT-AC66U. Dual core powered router that handles all sorts of simultaneous streams and online gaming. No slow downs here. Handles my downloads at 12MB/s flawlessly.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:13 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,901 Times in 3,865 Posts
I picked up an ASUS RT-N65U on sale for $85 about a year and a half ago and I love it, I haven't gotten into the settings or QoS much but it handles all my torrenting, streaming, LAN nights (up to 8 PC's all running modern online games) and anything else I've thrown at it without a hitch. I've reset it maybe 3 times since I got it which is a huge improvement over my old router that had to be reset weekly.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I am about to order this one to replace my Belkin N750
Check it out.
On Sale + Promo Code

TP-LINK Archer C7 Wireless AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Router, 450Mbps on 2.4GHz + 1300Mbps on 5Ghz, 2 USB Ports, IPv6, Guest Network - Newegg.ca

Reviews:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/
Old 12-23-2015, 11:49 PM   #7
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
make sure u get a router that can be flashed with aftermarket firmware like DDWRT or tomato
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2015, 03:22 AM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
go with ASUS,also got one with aftermarket firmware...no problems with it.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #9
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
just got this router for my new place but haven't set it up yet. reviews are quite solid and seems the best bang for buck.

my house at the moment is running a n66u and its been pretty good thus far except the range could be a bit better (2 floor house).
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,759 Posts
I just replaced my 5 year old Linksys that went corrupted with a Dlink DIR-880L. I'm pretty happy with it, gets really good reviews online.

D-Link DIR-880L review - Router Reviews - TrustedReviews

D-Link DIR-880L review: A good, basic 802.11ac Wi-Fi router
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #11
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I stopped buying off the shelf "routers" a long time ago. They never met my needs. They're a router, a switch and a wireless access point mashed into one. No matter which one I bought, I'd have to reboot it weekly...

Currently running pfSense on an old PC for a router, a Netgear 48 port switch and Ubiquiti Unifi access points. It's not for most people but it's rock solid, the only downtime is power outage and router updates. pfSense lets me run cool things like proxy caching and virus scan every packet that comes in.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
+1 whatever you choose, make sure it supports an aftermarket firmware. DD-WRT will give you all that stuff like QoS, PXE, etc etc. My house is rigged up with Asus all around - RT-N16 for the main unit and RT-N12s for extenders, all running DD-WRT (plus one UniFi AP).

A whole separate PC for a router is nuts for a home setup - that's a lot of extra power consumption for something so basic, unless you get a micro-PC of some kind to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #13

It's not like I'm running it on an old P4... lol... this small form factor Dell runs a whole 15 watts on the current load.

The switch I decided on because I kept running out of ports on those 4-8 ports that I kept buying. Doesn't help that so many devices these days need connectivity for updates. Pretty much every piece in my home theater needs connectivity. Figured I'd buy a 48 port and be done with it.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #14
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,901 Times in 3,865 Posts
I grabbed a 24 port unmanaged switch off Kijiji or someplace for cheap to gain more ports, but I don't see any need to manage another PC just for routing.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:35 PM   #15
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
It's not like I'm running it on an old P4... lol... this small form factor Dell runs a whole 15 watts on the current load.

The switch I decided on because I kept running out of ports on those 4-8 ports that I kept buying. Doesn't help that so many devices these days need connectivity for updates. Pretty much every piece in my home theater needs connectivity. Figured I'd buy a 48 port and be done with it.
op was asking for recommendations on routers, i highly doubt he has the knowledge to set up a pc strictly for routing internet. if he did, he wouldnt be asking here in the first place
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:36 PM   #16

What's there to manage? It's been more hands off than the home routers I've had that I had to constantly reboot. The only moving part in there is a fan that may die in 10 years.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
op was asking for recommendations on routers, i highly doubt he has the knowledge to set up a pc strictly for routing internet. if he did, he wouldnt be asking here in the first place
Yes he did and I recommended pfSense. If he's got the old hardware laying around and knows how to boot off a USB stick then it's FREE. If he doesn't know how to do that why would people think he knows how to install aftermarket firmware?
Old 12-25-2015, 12:18 AM   #18
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Yes he did and I recommended pfSense. If he's got the old hardware laying around and knows how to boot off a USB stick then it's FREE. If he doesn't know how to do that why would people think he knows how to install aftermarket firmware?

Sorry to hijack the thread. !LittleDragon, do you know any websites that gives a good tutorial on how to set up pfSense? I looked into it a while back, but couldn't find any good tutorial on how to set it up, and it seems a bit complicated. If there's straightforward tutorial, I would love to set one up myself as well for more control.

Thanks
banana200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana200 View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread. !LittleDragon, do you know any websites that gives a good tutorial on how to set up pfSense? I looked into it a while back, but couldn't find any good tutorial on how to set it up, and it seems a bit complicated. If there's straightforward tutorial, I would love to set one up myself as well for more control.

Thanks
Not sure other than the official forums. All I did was burn the ISO, booted, installed to SSD and assigned the NICs. Took less than 15 mins to get it functioning as a basic router which is what most people need. I didn't hit the forums until I needed to do my NATing and package installations. The install and basic setup is pretty straight forward.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:20 AM   #20

Or, you know...go to NCIX, drop $60 on a decent mid-grade b/g/n router... Bring it home, open the box, plug it in, good to go.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2015, 01:57 AM   #21

And potentially be back at square one with a cheap router? lol

I'm not saying to down this route, I'm saying give it a shot if you have spare hardware. It's free... I was all set to buy a high end home router because I was tired of rebooting my DIR-655 all the time. I setup an old box as my router while I decided on which router to buy. It worked so well that I kept procrastinating on buying a router. After 6 months of no reboots, I said forget buying a router and replaced my test box with a used SFF PC for $100.

Mind you, at the time this happened I already had the switch and 3 AP's in place. The wireless was disabled on my DIR-655 so I just needed something that can route that amount of traffic without crashing all the time. If a 3 in one is what's needed then spend good money on one and hope the wireless covers the property it needs to. Just don't go through 5 different routers like I did before deciding to go for a separated solution.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #22

Did you build your own car out of parts from the wrecker as well?
Quote:
Old 12-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #23
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I would recommend an Asus router of some sort. I have 4 of them and they all seem good. I wouldn't recommend a D-link, since I find they are not as "smart" as an Asus, and they are likely to have more bugs. I feel the D-Links hasn't kept up with the advances that Asus has brought to the market.

From the replies on this thread it seems that most people would never build a router out of an old computer. The "built" router will take up a lot more space, use more electricity and make noise. I think this is project is something for a true "geek" and not for a normal user.

I would personally never flash an Asus router with aftermarket firmware unless it had a feature that I needed. Asus does a fine job, and they will have better QC than some guy at home. The Asus routers are already designed for enthusiasts, and has pretty well every setting an enthusiast would need. I have flashed several aftermarket firmware that were worse than OEM.

I think the router market has become "fashion" lately, with new high end router with more and more antennas, and higher prices popping up every day. Like all high end products, there is rapidly diminishing returns. The sweet spot is probably at under $100.

I would personally recommend an Asus RT-N56U.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #24

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Asus does a fine job, and they will have better QC than some guy at home. The Asus routers are already designed for enthusiasts, and has pretty well every setting an enthusiast would need.
i disagree

Quote:
I think the router market has become "fashion" lately, with new high end router with more and more antennas, and higher prices popping up every day. Like all high end products, there is rapidly diminishing returns. The sweet spot is probably at under $100.
agree
i'd buy whatever is the cheapest router that supports rMerlin
About | Asuswrt-Merlin
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #25

Quote:
I would recommend an Asus router of some sort. I have 4 of them and they all seem good. I wouldn't recommend a D-link, since I find they are not as "smart" as an Asus, and they are likely to have more bugs. I feel the D-Links hasn't kept up with the advances that Asus has brought to the market.
The solution to that is DD-WRT - looks and functions exactly the same on both. At my old place I had a WDS mesh network set up with my RT-N16 and three DIR-615s.
Quote: