REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Parents may no longer be able to use physical force to discipline a child

TRC promise puts Liberals on track to repeal spanking laws
One of 94 'calls to action' was to ban use of corporal punishment by parents, teachers
By Kathleen Harris, CBC News Posted: Dec 22, 2015 7:09 PM ET Last Updated: Dec 22, 2015 7:09 PM ET

TRC promise puts Liberals on track to repeal spanking laws - Politics - CBC News

Commissioner Justice Murray Sinclair shakes hands with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during the release of the final report of the Truth and Reconciliation commission, which includes a call to repeal the so-called 'spanking' law. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)

Canada's spanking laws are set for an overhaul as part of the Liberal government's promise to adopt all of the recommendations stemming from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

One of the 94 "calls to action" after the six-year inquiry into widespread abuse at residential schools for indigenous children was to repeal section 43 of the Criminal Code, which allows parents and teachers to discipline children with "reasonable" force.

"At this point, we cannot speculate on potential legislative or policy approaches to address this issue. However the government is committed to implementing all of the 94 calls to action," said Christian Girouard, spokesman for Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould.

The "spanking law" was upheld by the Supreme Court of Canada in 2004, but set guidelines outlining "reasonable limits" to the act. In that decision, the court ruled that reasonable corrective force can be used against children between the ages of two and 12 years old.

The TRC recommendation has revived a heated national debate on the issue.

"If we hit a child, we're hitting creation, and that's something that's just not on. That is something that is not a traditional teaching or a traditional practice," he said.

Moran said the commission likely foresaw the potential broader consequences for all Canadians.

"I would think they would have thought this would have implications and reverberations throughout society," he said. And I would think... that they were aware of the fact they were putting something out there that had a degree of controversy around it but probably felt this was a necessary and important change to reflect on and implement."

'Risk factor' with spanking

Kathy Lynn of Corinne's Quest, an organization campaigning to end physical punishment of children, told CBC News Network's Power and Politics that corporal punishment is a practice that is both outdated and unnecessary. She asked why, in 2015, we are still permitting the "legalized abuse" of children.

"It sends a message that in our country we believe children should be hurt. And most importantly, research shows that every time we hit a child there is a risk factor involved," she said.

But Diane Watt of REAL Women of Canada, which describes itself as a "pro-family conservative women's movement," insisted it's necessary to protect parents, teachers and children.

"We're talking about reasonable, moderate, corrective force to improve behaviour and prevent harm that children can cause to one; to put a child in a car seat or remove them from a harmful situation," she said.
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
As of now, parents and teachers are allowed to use reasonable amount of physical force to correct child's behavior without risking criminal prosecution.

The "Spanking" Law: Section 43 of the Criminal Code (PRB 05-10E)
London Free Press: News Section - Spanking a crime?

I guess this is about to change.

So the only way to correct misbehaved child is to correct it by words.
If that doesn't work, take them to psychiatrists and put them on medication.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Like Russell Peters' father said "I know it's going to take them 23 minutes to get here, in that time, somebody going to get a hurt real bad."

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
God of Unce

Asians:
Old 12-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Teachers spanking kids.....I don't know about any of you, but where I went to school, if you touched a kid you would have a 30+ student classroom beat down on that teacher.
As for parents spanking, I know my father did one time. I had stolen something when i was 7 or 8, i think it was some gum or something from a hardware store. I got spanked for that. Nothing crazy, i dont even remember it hurting, but I have not stolen a dam thing since then and I do not think ill of my father.

Biggest issue here is there is no one determining what is reasonable and justifiable. I do not think spanking is wrong in its idea, however there are to many people out there willing to beat the snot our of there kids simply for making a sound. Something has to change for sure, but whatever they do about a "law" you will not stop child abuse by saying spanking is not ok, just the same way banning guns will not stop shootings. Perhaps come down harder on those who get caught being abusive, stop with the pussy footing around when it comes to things like this Canada....fuk

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
If my kid was wrong, I wouldnt be happy with the teacher spanking them.

however, I will be spanking them at home.

kids needs to be beat, some are just fucking little brats.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Spanking kids is not traditional teaching. What.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
My brothers and I got beatings when mom and dad were pissed for whatever reason. It was fucking bullshit.

Discipline your kids, don't beat them. I made a point not to spank my son when I was angry and to be mindful of what I was trying to accomplish.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,689 Posts
My friends tell me that they discipline their children by withdrawing privileges. They want to play their Nintendo DS, or play games on their iPad?

Kiss that Nintendo DS or iPad goodbye for two weeks or longer if they do something really bad.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #10
I am Hook'd on RS

If parents can't discipline their children through physical discipline, then how about the courts of law and police? How come they can't get through to these kids by just 'talking' to them?
MuranoGO-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #11
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
lol come on a little spanking doesn't hurt. When I was still in school in Hong Kong if I did something bad the teachers would slap my hand really hard with a wooden/metal ruler. When I told my mom, I got more spanking form my mom not with ruler but with those feather dusters that the end is made with bamboo. Got the shit beaten out of mine with marks too. But guess what? I learn to behave in class from now on.

One time I was watching TV at the neighbour and is time for dinner. Mom drag me back and I didn't want to. I went out and grab a garbage can and was trying to fight her. Oh that was a bad move. Got my shit beaten so bad that day. Even my grandparents were like I ask for it (even though they always told my mom not to hit me.). Guess what? I learn to listen to what my mom saids after.

Kids need some beating. Without it they aren't scare of anyone. Taking away their toys, games, and make them sit in their room isn't going to do shit. If the kid doesn't listen, he won't listen. A little beating does wonders. After I got my ass beat I remember not to do those things again. My sister but whip too. We turn out fine.

Was chatting with a co-worker and her daughter won't listen to her. Take away all the toys and games? She gets more piss, you can reason with them, they won't stop. Her daughter even throw a remote right at her 55inch TV and smash it.Reason for it? Calling her mom an asshole for not buying her an iPad coz all her friends had one so she got grounded. Just last night her daughter crawl into her bed at like 3am (i guess after the daughter went to pee) and wanted to sleep with mom and kick dad off. Mom won't let her and started fighting and the daughter won't leave. Co-worker ended up with no sleep at all. In case like this if I was the mom I would whip the daughters' ass so bad so won't do it again.

I would personally buy the teacher some beer for beating my kids at school if they weren't behaving.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:02 PM   #12
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts

every asian family had one of these thing, and the description on the pic is completely accurate
parents would swing this shit hard enough to make a swooshing wing noise... fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
generation of pussies.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #14
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
generation of pussies.
Agree when I got beaten as a kid I took it like a men (even though i was crying). Kids these days scream for child protection even if you try to scare them......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Agree when I got beaten as a kid I took it like a men (even though i was crying). Kids these days scream for child protection even if you try to scare them......
then they get into college and need safe spaces..
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #16
I am Hook'd on RS

I personally feel that if these laws keep up, we going to have a new generation of lots of gays and trans-gender kids in society from our own blood and those who aren't fond of those things. We are being too 'soft' now, where anything goes! Having morals and religious beliefs has to stand for something, even God used violence in the bible to prove his point & keep things right, to get his will accomplished. In other religions if you don't believe in the bible, its the same thing too. Can't see how 'talking' to anybody gets anything accomplished, even countries as a whole and nation don't use 'talk' as a mean of accomplishing anything! Why don't we just "talk" to ISIS then perhaps this will all end? NOT!
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #17
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuranoGO-15 View Post
I personally feel that if these laws keep up, we going to have a new generation of lots of gays and trans-gender kids in society from our own blood and those who aren't fond of those things. We are being too 'soft' now, where anything goes! Having morals and religious beliefs has to stand for something, even God used violence in the bible to prove his point and get his will accomplished. In other religions if you don't believe in the bible, its the same thing.

I feel like that's already been happening

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #18
I am Hook'd on RS

hchang, yes that is true, but something has to give to make it stop! Or else let it all go buckwild freebird. I don't really know personally as a parent what's right or wrong myself, even though I have morals and biblical religions handed down to me too. I'm now living in a confused world to say the least. I like that more people have freedom and accepted and not judged on their beliefs, gender, religion or race, etc. Why if your own child tomorrow says their gay or they wanna be transgender, how do you personally feel about that? Do you accept that as something you personally did wrong or is a way of your genes and family blood line cause to happen because of defects, or perhaps they superior to all of us, perhaps they as gay/trans-gender is a new way of life and can become bigger better things then we are right now. I don't really know what to think!!! Should people keep things in the closet, or should they just go all-out out of the closet, and be themselves what they feel inside, without caring about what others think, just to live their life out to be happy? If society can accept that, then I fear that other groups like NAMBLA in US, who are grown up men that want equal rights to love a child or boy, and catholic priests who do the same thing in a sick sense will have their way too. Its too much grey areas, that I have no say on or can justify or take sides on, except to sit back watch how society in a 10-20years from now going to play this whole thing out! Lots of new things have happened in the World that makes me think twice about my own judgement and beliefs, like Barack Obama becoming the president of USA, I never knew a black president could become commander and chief of one of the most powerful countries of the world. Then women leaders of other countries too. In our own Asian Cultures, I hope walls will break down and things will happen too, like I'm still waiting for a lady leader of china for example, or a muslim leader of UK, or even lets say a transgender leader of Germany or something like that, i think this will all happen in the near future, and affect us all!

Last edited by MuranoGO-15; 12-22-2015 at 10:03 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #19
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

holy shit we got another nutbag on RS.

are you a new nutbag or a reincarnation?
Old 12-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #20
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
holy shit we got another nutbag on RS.

are you a new nutbag or a reincarnation?
No not at all. Just an ordinary person posting their personal comments on revscene just like everybody else, except I obviously hit a pyscho nerve with you!
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 PM   #21
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

When I was a kid i remember getting wooden spoon/belt/open hand when i did something stupid. My best friend who got timeouts when I was a kid ended up stealing cars, getting hooked to coke and getting kicked out of school by the 8th grade. We had our differences but I believe if it wasn't for my parents being strict I probably would have followed his path.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:34 PM   #22
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
my old man used to beat me and traumatize me so hard that i developed anxiety disorders, but i turned out just fine. i'd probably be a different person if i hadn't gone through that

my 12 year-old sister was babied and grew up in drastically different conditions. she's begun exhibiting signs of a spoiled little shit, but i keep her in line (not with physical force, lol)

as ulic so candidly put it... generation of pussies. generation of pussies and self-entitled turds
Old 12-23-2015, 06:25 AM   #23
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
And the generation of pussification has begun. I believe in spanking - not 'beating' as some describe here. I have spanked my children, too. Each time, I gave them a choice to correct behaviour or face a spanking. After about 5 different occasions of spanking , the behaviour never happened again (it usually involved hitting someone else, or each other). Overall, it can be a useful and successful learning tool
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #24
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,695 Times in 1,625 Posts
I think most would agree that "spanking" is beneficial; "beatings" aren't.

There's no real dictionary term for either, so it's very subjective. It's the parents that can't control their emotions and mercilessly beat their kids and traumatize them that are the issue.

*edit: just thought I'd add: I'm asian, and my parents beat me with various household objects (they sure as hell weren't spankings.) I remember coming home from school on day in grade 5 or so and both my parents were waiting there for me with some stick because they said "I'd been acting out of line lately" - 15 odd years later I still don't fucking know the actual reason; Was I traumatized in the long-run? Probably not, but I still as hell still remember it, and they were definitely not in control of themselves at that time.

Last edited by inv4zn; 12-23-2015 at 08:21 AM.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #25
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Whatever, these days taking away a kids phone or iPad is far more traumatizing to them than slapping them on the ass.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote