REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #101
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananana View Post
A basic introduction to languages other than our own is a good thing no matter how you look at it. Perhaps a few will further study and bigger, better things will happen from there. Having Mandarin as a choice for a elective language study is as simple as the realization that 1.4 Billion people speak it and everyday they are becoming a larger player in a globalized world. If Iran or wherever you originate was as important internationally you'd be having the same complaints about Farsi.
Maybe I am confused since I said excatly your point in my post, and yet you are sitting here arguing with me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Sure if you want to take a japanese or spanish, or madarin class go for it, but it comes at the expense of one of your elective blocks.
I agree an introduction to other languages should be available, but exactly as you said, those courses should be electives. Nothing should detract from our goal of education here in canada to teach our children first and foremost the official languages of our country.

Go fuck off. You're the one that is spewing the same points I made making it seem like you are the second coming of christ himself with your divine knowledge.
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2016, 12:02 AM   #102
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:

Actually it's not confusing at all, and it's only open to misconception based on an individuals own ignorance or stupidity.

The Official Languages Act is a Canadian law; it gives French and English equal rights in Canada and makes them the preferred language over all others. There is a few other laws which also govern languages but The Official Languages Act is the legislative keystone for Canada's bilingualism.

The act establishes the following (among other things) :

-that Canadians have the right to receive services from federal departments and from Crown corporations in both official languages;

-that Canadians will be able to be heard before federal courts in the official language of their choice;

-that Parliament will adopt laws and to publish regulations in both official languages, and that both versions will be of equal legal weight
You say it's not confusing at all but you've already misinterpreted it. It doesn't make English and French the preferred languages in Canada. That's way too broad to be interpreted as law.

It makes English and French equal under the law when it comes to matters dealing only with government; not Canadian society as a whole. It gives English and French equality of status and equal rights and privileges as to their use in all institutions of the Parliament and government of Canada, not when it comes to private matters in our society. We do not have an official language across the board in Canada amongst our people (legally). Whenever someone says we do, they're basing it on their on preconceptions and experiences of our nation and perhaps percentage of people who speak it rather than on actual law.

Simply saying we have official languages in Canada doesn't help anyone. It has no bearing on what we should speak and what we need to speak in this country. That is entirely up to society itself.

You used the Official Languages Act to impose it on people in our society in private matters. You say it's quite simple but then why do you incorrectly apply to a conversation that started based on a dispute amongst private individuals in Richmond?

I don't dispute your notion that our education system should focus on first and foremost English and then French and then other languages. I'm fully on board with you there. Perhaps down the road one day it may change. I'm pretty sure the majority of our Canadian population cannot/does not speak French and so far I don't think it's hindering anyone's ability to contribute to society. Not being able to speak English would, of course.

Last edited by parm104; 09-13-2016 at 12:21 AM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #103

^You're nitpicking, I havn't misinterpreted anything, I just didn't feel like typing the entire law book into my post to cover all the bases.

You are right, people are welcome to use any language they like in private interactions.

Now back to the issue at hand, is strata council more of a legal proceeding or is it more of a private interaction? I honestly don't know the answer to this one. Strata Council is a legally required aspect to having a multi unit development, but it doesn't fall under the legal infrastructure, it falls as a private matter, until there is a dispute.

The interesting thing here is that should this end up going through the legal channels, the mandarin speaking council will have to defend in a court of english/french speaking law, why they feel they are justified to speak mandarin only in their strata meetings. A little Ironic to say the least...

Spoiler!

This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #104
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Bring on the fails, but this type of conversation is why some circles view the local Canadian populace lazy, unambitious and entitled.
Which circles, the ones that can't be bothered to put any effort into learning the primary language used in the country they chose to move to?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #105
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
plain and simple if you come and live in Canada everything should be in English/French first and then have an option of the language in your area if requested. It should be put in the Canadian charter of rights which will end the conflict and frustration. It's great living in a multi-cultural country but people should really respect all culture's around them rather then their own...
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #106

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
English will always win, American culture too strong, lots of immigrant people want to live like Westerner, no western people want to live like mainland gull.

Said another way, English>Mandarin
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #107
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
Quote:
No. However this comes down to my own unwillingness to learn. I was put in classes by my parents for reading and writing, but I hated everything to do with it and school. By all accounts I was a terrible child when it came to education.

So I don't think it fails any of my points, I believe our education system should focus on teaching children the official languages of our country (since most already struggle to learn that within their K-12 education), and anything beyond that should be on the families to teach or enroll their kids into.
French is literally useless. It may bean official language but it's pointless to learn. Students would be better off using a language that they would actually use.

Fun fact it's not mandatory for students to learn English in Quebec.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #108
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
French is a dying language. Anyway............ bananarama might be on the prowl.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #109
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
While French isn't generally used very much outside of Quebec, I'd definitely argue against that it is useless.

For anyone looking to work at the federal government level, knowing French is a major asset. Ottawa, in particular, operates on a French first, English second type of manner even though the vast majority of locals seem to be bilingual.

Also, much of Western Europe operates with some sort of French. When I was travelling there, I really wished I had spent more effort back in my hs French classes.

Mandarin is certainly useful to know, especially in Vancouver and Toronto where there is a sizable Chinese population. But I'd argue that in N.America as a whole, Spanish is the arguably more useful language to know, and it is probably easier to pick up than Chinese as well.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #110
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,134 Times in 7,146 Posts
Quote:
What'd you just stumble onto Thesaurus.com? Take it easy.

One of my favourite one line zingers on here in a long time. Bringing some sarcastic spark back to RS.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #111
MG1

What was that saying again? Bullshit baffles brains............. I had absolutely no idea what bananarama said, but I took offence to the one sentence I did understand.

Then, I read his previous posts in other threads and it all made sense. He is what he is and it's all good. I'm not offended anymore - just

This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #112
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
French is a dying language. Anyway............ bananarama might be on the prowl.
it doesn't matter if its dying or not its part of our country and it always will be. When I have kids I'm going to put them in French emersion no questions asked since the options you have when looking for a federal job is fantastic and needed.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #113
MG1

No, you are going to send your kids to French Immersion because your kids will be way better off than the masses.

The programme is well funded, as the federal government throws some money into the programmes. This is above and beyond what our provincial government funds its regular classes. Plus, the classes are full of kids who's parents are well informed and care. Learning French is an added bonus.

My daughter asked me when she was in grade 5 if she could attend a Late French Immersion class that was starting up at a nearby school.

This is Late French Immersion. When my daughter graduated secondary school, she thanked me for lining up and getting her in, back then. She told me that she finally got into a class where kids wanted to learn. She also met her best friend there. No dumbass shitheads and shit disturbers in the class. "For once, we learned and nobody had to be talked to or dealt with by the teachers. So much got done in class." Wow!

There are no learning disabled kids or behaviour kids in those classes. Only straight "A" students with a desire to learn.

Now, as far as Early French Immersion, the picture isn't always great. They take anybody who's interested. It's kind of watered down. But, it's still a helluva lot better than regular classes. Parents who don't give a shit about their kids' education wouldn't even consider French Immersion.

What's really weird is, the Late French kids, in two years, catch up to those who are in Early French Immersion who have been at it since Kindergarten.

Anyway, those are my experiences and observations. It may be different for others and other schools and school districts.

As one person I know put it, "French Immersion is a private school in a public school setting."

Having said all that, not all kids are successful in those programmes. Some students drop out. It's not for everyone.

My kids are all grown up and this happened decades ago, but from what I hear, the French Immersion programmes are not as strong as they once used to be. In some schools, they actively seek out students to keep enrolment up. That's scary. If the programme was good, you'd figure they'd be knocking on your door. Not the other way around.

The biggest challenge with running French Immersion classes is finding qualified teachers, let alone ones who can actually teach it well. So many students have been turned off by ineffective French teachers. Qualified, but not very inspiring. When you're scraping the bottom of the barrel, thats what you get. If you know your French, you're hired, sight unseen.

Does anyone on RS have kids in Programme Cadre? I'd like to hear how that's going.

Last edited by MG1; 09-14-2016 at 12:30 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2016, 04:56 AM   #114
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
My argument follows along the actual pedagogical reasoning of second language in schools. The current methodology that was created over about a thousand years of history.

In contrast your entire post is non sequitur. There's no argument, no logical plot or conclusion. Just nothing at all. A simple minded jab at the concept of a second language.

You want to live in a globalized world and enjoy the fruits of unheard of levels of consumerism then this is what is needed to prepare our nations youth and in contrast the future of the country for this world.

Bring on the fails, but this type of conversation is why some circles view the local Canadian populace lazy, unambitious and entitled.
Quote:
What'd you just stumble onto Thesaurus.com? Take it easy.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2016, 06:36 AM   #115

French immersion +1

Titty bar in Montreal much better when you can speak French, they don't hate you quite as much as they hate the anglophones.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:00 AM   #116
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
French immersion +1

Titty bar in Montreal much better when you can speak French, they don't hate you quite as much as they hate the anglophones.
Try using that French in Paris and the locals there will speak to you in english.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2016, 07:10 AM   #117
In RS I Trust

it's cause our French is dirty French and the France French people are snobs to it like the true Quebec Frogs are snobs to people that only speak English.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #118
MG1

Actually, the phrase I've heard is, it's "hillbilly" French, lol.

Aren't french people snobs by nature? Everybody else's shit smells, but not their's?

Thank god there's french women.................

Old 09-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #119
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
true story, friend was in France and he try speaking English but no cared/being ignored

start speaking mandarin and ppl start coming in with service speaking English to you

my friend was like WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #120
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
French immersion +1

This is not true. Cash is the only language you need.

Learning different languages is very important for the futures of your children but picking French over say, Mandarin is a huge mistake. I know I'll be pushing my kid to learn mando for sure.
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #121
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
This is not true. Cash is the only language you need.

Learning different languages is very important for the futures of your children but picking French over say, Mandarin is a huge mistake. I know I'll be pushing my kid to learn mando for sure.
How would it be a huge mistake? Last time I checked this is CANADA and Federal employee's get the best pension and benefits in the country and with less people learning French especially in western Canada they will have more opportunities rather then someone learning Mandarin when it's not a official language.

I find it so said about how blind sided people are in the thread about the bigger picture and how they think because 1/3rd of the worlds population speaks a language they will be better off learning it.

I would like to note I for one hate French but living in the country we do it gives you the most options for a better future sadly.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #122

Meh, I fail to believe most people would have very much success trying to pick up mandarin here in canada, unless they come from a Mandarin speaking household.

It's not like some white kid is going to have a great chance at learning one of the most complex languages, when he/she can only utilize it for at most 10 hours a week (assuming some really motivated white kid studies 2 hours a day 5 days a week at it).

Whereas French, and spanish can be learned in as little as a couple hours a week if you stay with it. You won't be the greatest at it, but me even 10 years after leaving my last french class can still hold a conversation with just about anyone.

That's what I think most people are missing here, English, spanish and french go hand in hand. The three are very simple to pick up if you know one or two of the others. Whereas Mandarin, japanese, korean, these languages are a completely different ball park, this isn't something our education will be able to effectively teach children who don't have a background in the language.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #123

English is the international language of business, even in Quebec you will hit a glass ceiling at some point if you don't speak very good English... doesn't matter how brilliant you are etc.

If there is one language everyone should speak it's English.

I won't even bother learning other languages now, that's time I could spend jamming English down the throats of foreigners.

Spoiler!
Old 09-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #124
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
That's what I think most people are missing here, English, spanish and french go hand in hand. The three are very simple to pick up if you know one or two of the others. Whereas Mandarin, japanese, korean, these languages are a completely different ball park, this isn't something our education will be able to effectively teach children who don't have a background in the language.
That's where you are wrong.
While complex, mandarin is actually not that difficult to learn since they only use 4 tones.
I took Mandarin when I was at UBC and some of the top marks went to the caucasian students.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
That's where you are wrong.
While complex, mandarin is actually not that difficult to learn since they only use 4 tones.
I took Mandarin when I was at UBC and some of the top marks went to the caucasian students.
The issue isn't that it's a difficult language to learn overall. The difference is that unlike english-french-spanish, in mandarin any english speaker has to learn new characters and alphabet. I'm not saying at all that mandarin is more difficult to learn than english or vice versa. Actually from what I understand they are relatively similar.

It's great that the top marks in some Mandarin 101 class went to White people, but at the end of that class how many of those kids could actually speak mandarin? lol.

Do schools in China teach English?

I mean sure 1.3 billion people speak mandarin, and that's great to say that more people should learn it cause as China grows it would be important.

But some 900 million people in this world speak English, and it could be said to China that it might be worthwhile for them to learn English if they plan on becoming any more than a supplier of cheap labor throughout the planet.