REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Al Jazeera Investigates - The Dark Side (of sports)

Documentary claiming Peyton Manning and a bunch of other pro athletes used banned substances. Involves a couple of guys from Vancouver. Peyton claims he never took HGH but his wife is another story.

Advertisement
Old 12-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Watched this last night, pretty interesting.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #3

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
LMAO at "dark side"....99.99% of the NFL is on performance enhancing drugs

only people who've never played sports before think there's anything wrong with pro athletes taking performance enhancing substances.

the physical feats pro athletes perform are simply impossible without AAS.

banning AAS is stupid as fuck considering the whole point of sports is to see whos the fastest, strongest, or hits the hardest
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #4

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
6'5 270 shredded, all natty brah
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post

banning AAS is stupid as fuck considering the whole point of sports is to see whos the fastest, strongest, or hits the hardest
Yes who is the fastest not how is the fastest after being modified. Whats next implants?

Also would you be willing to take something that would shorten your life just to play pro?
Old 12-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Taking transit can shorten your life, Keith Richards has put more in his system than revscene combined and he's still alive, it's a crapshoot
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Taking transit can shorten your life, Keith Richards has put more in his system than revscene combined and he's still alive, it's a crapshoot
Transit can but what if they made a drug that will shorten your life but will increase your performance? Just imagine where performance enhancement if it was legal. You would have to change the rules of many sports.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Yes who is the fastest not how is the fastest after being modified. Whats next implants?

Also would you be willing to take something that would shorten your life just to play pro?
steroids aren't cybernetic implants. you can give all the roids you want to some nerd and he'll never be usain bolt or calvin johnson

you clearly don't understand how steroids work.

considering how much of a meat grinder playing NFL, fighting in boxing/ufc is taking steroids is hardly a concern for them. and arnold and a few other bbers are still going strong.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
steroids aren't cybernetic implants. you can give all the roids you want to some nerd and he'll never be usain bolt or calvin johnson

you clearly don't understand how steroids work.

considering how much of a meat grinder playing NFL, fighting in boxing/ufc is taking steroids is hardly a concern for them. and arnold and a few other bbers are still going strong.
Body builders have shorter life spans but not because of roids but because of diet.

Sumo Wrestlers Compared to Bodybuilders | LIVESTRONG.COM
Quote:
bodybuilders may have similar effects on life expectancy. As noted by Dr. Joel Fuhrman of Disease Proof, high-protein diets are associated with life expectancies at least 10 years shorter than the North American average.
I do understand how they work but where does it end? What about genetically altered humans? It's illegal here but not in countries like China.

Check this out: Biohackers develop night vision eye drops to see in the dark
Old 12-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:

most people that take gear or roids do not even think twice of there life been shorten. Steroids are everywhere now and so many people take them its like creatine now
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
to me this is just us evolving off our own intellect. before we'd use hard work and determination purely, now we've evolved to using that plus drugs. Next will be implants of a sort I believe. To view this as a negative thing I think is not very forward thinking.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #12
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Same thing is happening in MMA now. The dopers are noticeably smaller and softer now compared to before.

Just look at guys like JDS and Overeem from last weekend's fight.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:13 PM   #13
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
i cant believe how many people think you take gear and all of a sudden can walk onto an MLB team and smack 70 homers, hit the track and run sub 10s, walk into the octagon and beat the champ, or squat 600lbs. all while bypassing 'hard work and determination'.

gear doesnt make you faster, or stronger, and definitely doesn't give you any more skill. it helps you do the 110% hard training a little harder, and a little more often. the kind of training 9/10 people will never understand.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #14
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
A lot of the steroid use in pro sports is also for recovery, not simply to get bigger/faster
Old 12-28-2015, 09:25 PM   #15
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
i wonder who the drug users are on here... hmmm
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #16
Need to Seek Professional Help

Anyone who has played a decent amount of sports at a moderately competitive level understand this stuff already. How do you think hockey players can play 3/4 nights a week + training + travel, etc... At any professional level it takes something extra however just because you might take something doesn't mean you will make it pro. As others have said that takes an amazing ability.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:56 PM   #17

According to a guy in the documentary he can take a guy with average genetics and make him a superstar. If pro's are allowed to use roids what about that 8 year old who's dad thinks his kid is going to be a superstar in the NHL. Should he be allowed to juice up?
Old 12-29-2015, 02:41 AM   #18
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Pros and responsible normal adults are fine taking steroids, IMO. Giving them to a kid while they're still developing is wrong and any parents doing that should probably go to jail.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2015, 02:50 AM   #19
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Russia use to do that and they're knee's and whole bone structor was fucked up because of it....trainers would tell them its just "vitamins"
Old 12-29-2015, 05:59 AM   #20
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
i cant believe how many people think you take gear and all of a sudden can walk onto an MLB team and smack 70 homers, hit the track and run sub 10s, walk into the octagon and beat the champ, or squat 600lbs. all while bypassing 'hard work and determination'.

gear doesnt make you faster, or stronger, and definitely doesn't give you any more skill. it helps you do the 110% hard training a little harder, and a little more often. the kind of training 9/10 people will never understand.
Exactly what I wanted to say.

The guy in the video claiming he can take an person with average genetics and make him a superstar is just boasting, talking bs to try and hype his services/product he is moving. People who believe that generally don't have any experience or understanding of training or athletics. PEDs aren't a magic pill that you take and gives you more strength and more athletic ability, it just allows you to train longer, more frequently and recover faster. You don't just pop a pill and gain muscles, you still have to put in the work. I would argue those on PEDs actually put in more work because they typically train more often and with more intensity. I work with an idiot who thought that and got on some gear but only went to the gym 3 times a week for half an hour at a time, while continuing to party hard every weekend, he made no gains and just turned into a bloated disaster.

For the record, while I lift 5-6 days a week, I personally haven't and don't plan on taking any PEDs, don't have anything against them, just a personal choice since lifting is what I do to relax and what I enjoy and not a profession or competition for me where millions are on the line. However, honestly if I was a competitive lifter/bodybuilder or professional athlete, where that extra frequency/intensity of training and recovery could help aid in a championship or millions on a contract, I probably would take PEDs. I think PEDs can be taken in a responsible manner without abusing them, much like alcohol can be consumed responsibly or irresponsibly.

I would think most people these days realize it is likely the majority of pro and Olympic athlete have or do take PEDs. It's just asshats like Lance Armstrong who purposely try to destroy people's lives for calling him out on it that I don't like or agree with, but look at guys like Andy Pettitte, he owned up to it, everyone moved on and loved him again. Look at the countless guys in the MLB who take PEDs, score the $100 million contract, own up to it, serve the suspension and move on while keeping their contracts.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #21
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
I was just listening to Bill Burr's podcast about this lol

Al Jazeera as a source
Sure there's probably some valid points but am I really gonna sit here and watch an Arab government owned news outlet talk about mainstream American sports?
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #22

Quote:
According to a guy in the documentary he can take a guy with average genetics and make him a superstar. If pro's are allowed to use roids what about that 8 year old who's dad thinks his kid is going to be a superstar in the NHL. Should he be allowed to juice up?
If you take a guy/girl with average intelligence and force feed him/her adderall ritalin and forced them to study 24/7 would that turn them into the next leonardo da vinci or stephen hawking? fuck no, thats stupid as fuck

same principle with steroids and athletes.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #23
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
also the "consequences" of taking anything are far less for a peyton manning or other superstar multimillion dollar a year athlete than a guy sticking needles in his ass in a bathroom stall at the gym

these people have teams of doctors working for them, even at the college level i'm sure they have resources people cant even imagine
Old 12-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #24
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

what's with idiots taking every documentary at face value.

documentaries are not objective studies into a subject. the filmmaker has a very specific goal and will show a highly edited and subjective piece promoting their views.

any actual sports type would know that the old rule is if you're a star, peds will help you become a super star.

if you're a bottom of the barrel talent, it'll help you stay in the league. but to think some dude bagging groceries who was a high school athlete simply needs PEDS to become tom brady, then you dumb AF.

manic: steriods are an actual treatment for people. they give them to babies as well. as for shortening your life span.
i'm a football fan. dudes get concussed every game. just like in mma. anyone living in reality would understand each time i see that dudes lights turned out, i'm watching years melt off his life span. and ya know what? i don't give a flying fuck unless the guy knocked out is on my team. or my fantasy team.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #25
My homepage has been set to RS

Fun fact: Lionel Messi the best soccer player in the world used HGH as a child as treatment to his dwarfism.

Anyone defending PED's in sports is an idiot. It would only be "OK" if everyone was allowed to use it.

Also it's probably not common in hockey at all, hockey players do not need to be in exceptional physical shape to be a great hockey player due it being mainly a sprinting sport. Google Alex Ovechkin shirtless and you'll notice the difference between a top hockey player and a top NFL running back. Only the top players average 20 minutes a game.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote