REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Al Jazeera Investigates - The Dark Side (of sports) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706892-al-jazeera-investigates-dark-side-sports.html)

Manic! 12-28-2015 11:02 AM

Al Jazeera Investigates - The Dark Side (of sports)

Documentary claiming Peyton Manning and a bunch of other pro athletes used banned substances. Involves a couple of guys from Vancouver. Peyton claims he never took HGH but his wife is another story.

cdizzle_996 12-28-2015 11:06 AM

Watched this last night, pretty interesting.

Sid Vicious 12-28-2015 11:57 AM

LMAO at "dark side"....99.99% of the NFL is on performance enhancing drugs

only people who've never played sports before think there's anything wrong with pro athletes taking performance enhancing substances.

the physical feats pro athletes perform are simply impossible without AAS.

banning AAS is stupid as fuck considering the whole point of sports is to see whos the fastest, strongest, or hits the hardest

cdizzle_996 12-28-2015 12:13 PM

6'5 270 shredded, all natty brah

Manic! 12-28-2015 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8711495)

banning AAS is stupid as fuck considering the whole point of sports is to see whos the fastest, strongest, or hits the hardest

Yes who is the fastest not how is the fastest after being modified. Whats next implants?

Also would you be willing to take something that would shorten your life just to play pro?

sdubfid 12-28-2015 01:31 PM

Taking transit can shorten your life, Keith Richards has put more in his system than revscene combined and he's still alive, it's a crapshoot

Manic! 12-28-2015 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdubfid (Post 8711516)
Taking transit can shorten your life, Keith Richards has put more in his system than revscene combined and he's still alive, it's a crapshoot

Transit can but what if they made a drug that will shorten your life but will increase your performance? Just imagine where performance enhancement if it was legal. You would have to change the rules of many sports.

Sid Vicious 12-28-2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8711508)
Yes who is the fastest not how is the fastest after being modified. Whats next implants?

Also would you be willing to take something that would shorten your life just to play pro?

steroids aren't cybernetic implants. you can give all the roids you want to some nerd and he'll never be usain bolt or calvin johnson

you clearly don't understand how steroids work.

considering how much of a meat grinder playing NFL, fighting in boxing/ufc is taking steroids is hardly a concern for them. and arnold and a few other bbers are still going strong.

Manic! 12-28-2015 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8711556)
steroids aren't cybernetic implants. you can give all the roids you want to some nerd and he'll never be usain bolt or calvin johnson

you clearly don't understand how steroids work.

considering how much of a meat grinder playing NFL, fighting in boxing/ufc is taking steroids is hardly a concern for them. and arnold and a few other bbers are still going strong.

Body builders have shorter life spans but not because of roids but because of diet.

Sumo Wrestlers Compared to Bodybuilders | LIVESTRONG.COM
Quote:

bodybuilders may have similar effects on life expectancy. As noted by Dr. Joel Fuhrman of Disease Proof, high-protein diets are associated with life expectancies at least 10 years shorter than the North American average.
I do understand how they work but where does it end? What about genetically altered humans? It's illegal here but not in countries like China.

Check this out: Biohackers develop night vision eye drops to see in the dark

hal0g0dv2 12-28-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8711508)

most people that take gear or roids do not even think twice of there life been shorten. Steroids are everywhere now and so many people take them its like creatine now

bloodmack 12-28-2015 07:43 PM

to me this is just us evolving off our own intellect. before we'd use hard work and determination purely, now we've evolved to using that plus drugs. Next will be implants of a sort I believe. To view this as a negative thing I think is not very forward thinking.

Ch28 12-28-2015 07:45 PM

Same thing is happening in MMA now. The dopers are noticeably smaller and softer now compared to before.

Just look at guys like JDS and Overeem from last weekend's fight.

RRxtar 12-28-2015 08:13 PM

i cant believe how many people think you take gear and all of a sudden can walk onto an MLB team and smack 70 homers, hit the track and run sub 10s, walk into the octagon and beat the champ, or squat 600lbs. all while bypassing 'hard work and determination'.

gear doesnt make you faster, or stronger, and definitely doesn't give you any more skill. it helps you do the 110% hard training a little harder, and a little more often. the kind of training 9/10 people will never understand.

Hondaracer 12-28-2015 08:45 PM

A lot of the steroid use in pro sports is also for recovery, not simply to get bigger/faster

StylinRed 12-28-2015 09:25 PM

i wonder who the drug users are on here... hmmm :p

scottsman 12-28-2015 09:49 PM

Anyone who has played a decent amount of sports at a moderately competitive level understand this stuff already. How do you think hockey players can play 3/4 nights a week + training + travel, etc... At any professional level it takes something extra however just because you might take something doesn't mean you will make it pro. As others have said that takes an amazing ability.

Manic! 12-28-2015 10:56 PM

According to a guy in the documentary he can take a guy with average genetics and make him a superstar. If pro's are allowed to use roids what about that 8 year old who's dad thinks his kid is going to be a superstar in the NHL. Should he be allowed to juice up?

SkinnyPupp 12-29-2015 02:41 AM

Pros and responsible normal adults are fine taking steroids, IMO. Giving them to a kid while they're still developing is wrong and any parents doing that should probably go to jail.

Mr.Money 12-29-2015 02:50 AM

Russia use to do that and they're knee's and whole bone structor was fucked up because of it....trainers would tell them its just "vitamins"

7seven 12-29-2015 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8711618)
i cant believe how many people think you take gear and all of a sudden can walk onto an MLB team and smack 70 homers, hit the track and run sub 10s, walk into the octagon and beat the champ, or squat 600lbs. all while bypassing 'hard work and determination'.

gear doesnt make you faster, or stronger, and definitely doesn't give you any more skill. it helps you do the 110% hard training a little harder, and a little more often. the kind of training 9/10 people will never understand.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

The guy in the video claiming he can take an person with average genetics and make him a superstar is just boasting, talking bs to try and hype his services/product he is moving. People who believe that generally don't have any experience or understanding of training or athletics. PEDs aren't a magic pill that you take and gives you more strength and more athletic ability, it just allows you to train longer, more frequently and recover faster. You don't just pop a pill and gain muscles, you still have to put in the work. I would argue those on PEDs actually put in more work because they typically train more often and with more intensity. I work with an idiot who thought that and got on some gear but only went to the gym 3 times a week for half an hour at a time, while continuing to party hard every weekend, he made no gains and just turned into a bloated disaster.

For the record, while I lift 5-6 days a week, I personally haven't and don't plan on taking any PEDs, don't have anything against them, just a personal choice since lifting is what I do to relax and what I enjoy and not a profession or competition for me where millions are on the line. However, honestly if I was a competitive lifter/bodybuilder or professional athlete, where that extra frequency/intensity of training and recovery could help aid in a championship or millions on a contract, I probably would take PEDs. I think PEDs can be taken in a responsible manner without abusing them, much like alcohol can be consumed responsibly or irresponsibly.

I would think most people these days realize it is likely the majority of pro and Olympic athlete have or do take PEDs. It's just asshats like Lance Armstrong who purposely try to destroy people's lives for calling him out on it that I don't like or agree with, but look at guys like Andy Pettitte, he owned up to it, everyone moved on and loved him again. Look at the countless guys in the MLB who take PEDs, score the $100 million contract, own up to it, serve the suspension and move on while keeping their contracts.

6o4__boi 12-29-2015 06:56 AM

I was just listening to Bill Burr's podcast about this lol

:fuckthatshit:

Al Jazeera as a source
Sure there's probably some valid points but am I really gonna sit here and watch an Arab government owned news outlet talk about mainstream American sports?

Sid Vicious 12-29-2015 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8711684)
According to a guy in the documentary he can take a guy with average genetics and make him a superstar. If pro's are allowed to use roids what about that 8 year old who's dad thinks his kid is going to be a superstar in the NHL. Should he be allowed to juice up?

If you take a guy/girl with average intelligence and force feed him/her adderall ritalin and forced them to study 24/7 would that turn them into the next leonardo da vinci or stephen hawking? fuck no, thats stupid as fuck

same principle with steroids and athletes.

Hondaracer 12-29-2015 09:46 AM

also the "consequences" of taking anything are far less for a peyton manning or other superstar multimillion dollar a year athlete than a guy sticking needles in his ass in a bathroom stall at the gym

these people have teams of doctors working for them, even at the college level i'm sure they have resources people cant even imagine

Hot Karl 12-29-2015 10:32 AM

what's with idiots taking every documentary at face value.

documentaries are not objective studies into a subject. the filmmaker has a very specific goal and will show a highly edited and subjective piece promoting their views.

any actual sports type would know that the old rule is if you're a star, peds will help you become a super star.

if you're a bottom of the barrel talent, it'll help you stay in the league. but to think some dude bagging groceries who was a high school athlete simply needs PEDS to become tom brady, then you dumb AF.

manic: steriods are an actual treatment for people. they give them to babies as well. as for shortening your life span.
i'm a football fan. dudes get concussed every game. just like in mma. anyone living in reality would understand each time i see that dudes lights turned out, i'm watching years melt off his life span. and ya know what? i don't give a flying fuck unless the guy knocked out is on my team. or my fantasy team.

iwantaskyline 12-29-2015 12:48 PM

Fun fact: Lionel Messi the best soccer player in the world used HGH as a child as treatment to his dwarfism.

Anyone defending PED's in sports is an idiot. It would only be "OK" if everyone was allowed to use it.

Also it's probably not common in hockey at all, hockey players do not need to be in exceptional physical shape to be a great hockey player due it being mainly a sprinting sport. Google Alex Ovechkin shirtless and you'll notice the difference between a top hockey player and a top NFL running back. Only the top players average 20 minutes a game.