REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #251
HELP ME PLS!!!

The ice storm of 2013 in Toronto had 27 deaths out of 600,000 homes without power.

Most of them were from people trying to warm their homes with carbon monoxide emitting appliances.

But you're right though, the city opened up warming centres right away. I have no doubt that ours would too in a disaster.

That said, I still like being prepared to be on my own for about a week.
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #252
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Couple of tips.

Put some change in you kit to use at vending machines.

When buying bottled water get something that has a half decent plastic bottle. Nestle bottles are crap and crumple easily. Aquafina bottles are more durable so they don't deform and can be refilled.

Rotate your batteries. Because batteries drain over time.

Know where you local family run gas stations and convenience stores are. After an earthquake employees may not show up to there minimum wage job at 7-11 but family run stores will remain open.

some change would be nice, but what makes you think people wont just break the glass and take everything from inside the vending machine lol.

this would be useful.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...51868020255275

Last edited by ilovebacon; 01-02-2016 at 03:40 PM.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #253
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
May I add it is also a good idea to have a solar power watch such as Casio Tough armor series.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #254
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Old 01-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #255
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
^the Flintstone's watch, lol.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #256
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
just wondering here, how civil do you think folks in this city will be when the big one hits? most people have morals and ethics (at least thats what i believe) but how well will that uphold when times get desperate and survival mode kicks in. worse yet, the train of thought "its times in need and i see those guys do it, i might as well".
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #257
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
The crazy ones, with guns, and a prepper attitude, might go nuts, but the majority will be civil.

Just look at actual disasters around the world, people aren't running around killing and robbing etc. (except in 'merica) they even come together and assist those in need... the uk floods, japan, south east asia. Hell even war torn areas, Syria, Gaza (outside of the militants fighting a war)

Last edited by StylinRed; 01-02-2016 at 09:02 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #258
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
just wondering here, how civil do you think folks in this city will be when the big one hits? most people have morals and ethics (at least thats what i believe) but how well will that uphold when times get desperate and survival mode kicks in. worse yet, the train of thought "its times in need and i see those guys do it, i might as well".
I don't know why you got failed but I think this is a reasonable concern.

I would say hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I personally keep thinking that if someone wants what I have, they're going to try to take it if there's no law to keep everyone in line.

Just to add, I think by and large the population could remain civil. But I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple incidents of disorder and chaos. If i were to be in such an incident, I just imagine it being a perfect shit storm where I have to defend myself. I think most people would then realize when it's too late, "I was too naive".

Last edited by nns; 01-02-2016 at 09:03 PM.
nns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #259
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
Most place will be ok but you might have some ppl that will be out of line. There might be other who will just try to steal/take what you have so always be alert and arm yourself with some weapons for self defense.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #260
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
if someone is legit trying to break into your home for supplies etc. id just film it and deal with the parties appropriately

but even with that mindset, i dont really see much happening
Old 01-03-2016, 12:42 AM   #261
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
I would throw this into my emergency kit

http://www.amazon.ca/ALLPOWERS-Charg...ravpower+solar
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:43 AM   #262
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
we need to start an official emergency kit thread lol
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:07 AM   #263
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
some change would be nice, but what makes you think people wont just break the glass and take everything from inside the vending machine lol.

this would be useful.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...51868020255275
Vending machines also require power unless they're antiques.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #264
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I also think it is a valid question and my answer is "depends where you live". Think the NHL Riot. Also it depends on how badly the infrastructure had been damaged.

I honestly think VSB can make a better point to get the province to upgrade the school if they promise to open the schools as shelters when an earthquake.. instead of using "oh our most precious resources are in earthquake collapsible buildings"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Just to add, I think by and large the population could remain civil. But I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple incidents of disorder and chaos. If i were to be in such an incident, I just imagine it being a perfect shit storm where I have to defend myself. I think most people would then realize when it's too late, "I was too naive".
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #265
I subscribe to Revscene

Can't wait for Vancouver to turn into fallout
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #266
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
http://www.amazon.ca/Datrex-Emergenc...s=datrex+water

You can get these locally. Better than Bottled Water, as they can freeze without bursting, and have a longer shelf life. Might be better to keep these in the car rather than bottled water. I've got some of these stashed in my kits along with empty water bottle/pouches.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #267
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
^$20 for 1.5L of water? I think I'd rather buy a case of emergency beer
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #268
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
warming centres???...those homeless shelters are a bad place for illness with all the coughing and spread of flu's going around from what i remember.....Def get all you're kit together than Trying to depend on a place like that & enjoy your own privacy

Last edited by Mr.Money; 01-04-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #269
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Quote:

I would say hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I personally keep thinking that if someone wants what I have, they're going to try to take it if there's no law to keep everyone in line.

got failed cuz those guys are just trolls and think what i wrote about being civil is like a thing that can't happen.

as said, just look at the NHL incident. riot and chaos for nothing. now imagine when shit really hits the fan, i think there will be more chaos than the NHL incident. when everything sells out, even the most civil people will turn for the worst. when the big one hits, supply lines are cut off, stores will be liquidated in a matter of less than 24 hours. in those 24 hours, people in store will be fighting for resources.

how much more chaos? who knows.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #270

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:

Thinking like that is what got your gun loving American into a paranoid mess that thinks every person is plotting to murder them and everyone they love so they can steal their democracy, using it as an excuse to have enough bullets to take out an entire mall full of people. Best plan is have enough supplies to help someone looking for it, then they won't have to steal your supplies and murder everyone you know and love.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:29 PM   #271
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Thinking like that is what got your gun loving American into a paranoid mess that thinks every person is plotting to murder them and everyone they love so they can steal their democracy, using it as an excuse to have enough bullets to take out an entire mall full of people. Best plan is have enough supplies to help someone looking for it, then they won't have to steal your supplies and murder everyone you know and love.
I think you're confusing me with someone else? When did I say I had such a friend?

Anyway, you are what I would consider naive. I don't know you so i'm sure my opinion means nothing to you.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #272
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
http://www.amazon.ca/Datrex-Emergenc...s=datrex+water

You can get these locally. Better than Bottled Water, as they can freeze without bursting, and have a longer shelf life. Might be better to keep these in the car rather than bottled water. I've got some of these stashed in my kits along with empty water bottle/pouches.
I drank one of those packs in high school when they were swapping them out.

rather put bleach in my water

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #273

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
I think you're confusing me with someone else? When did I say I had such a friend?

Anyway, you are what I would consider naive. I don't know you so i'm sure my opinion means nothing to you.
Gun loving American is a generalization, not a specific example of your friend lol. I'm not naive, just not interested in living life in fear of what I can't control. Besides you seem to be thinking that a major earthquake is the same as a zombie apocalypse. It's not like society will crumble before your eyes when a disaster hits Vancouver.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote