REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #176
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
B.C. earthquake wakes up Vancouver, Victoria-area residents - British Columbia - CBC News
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #177
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #178
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Tweet of the night last night.
I fuckin lost it

"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2015, 12:33 PM   #179
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 3,082 Times in 961 Posts
Didnt feel a thing as I was asleep.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:56 PM   #180
HELP ME PLS!!!

Had my headphones on, felt a slight shake from the walls and floor, then heard a loud boom. I thought someone fell hard, then the the possibility of an Earthquake came to mind, quickly dismissed it, then went back to listening to Dr. Dre. Didn't find out that it really was an Earthquake till I woke up this morning.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #181
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
I was sitting in an awkward position trying to sense the faint tremor my gf was feeling, when there was a big jolt. First reaction was to twist and grab my 1yr old son sitting next to me. Back hurts, need massage therapy thread.

Makes me miss the Interior where all there really is to worry about is the threat of forrest fires.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #182
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Looking to buy a home in Richmond...who's selling right now? Lets make a deal in the next 48hrs.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #183
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
Is it bad that I thought someone was trying to break into my house before I thought this was an earthquake? Because Surrey I was playing NHL online with someone who had 604 in their gamertag and they disconnected right after the shaking stopped for me.
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #184
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
If you have earthquake insurance and paying the $1xxx per year for detached homes, if the big one does hit odds are pretty good your insurance company is going to go under anyways lol

Also the deductibles on earthquake insurance are insane, 45-50k? Crazy
Old 12-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #185
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If you have earthquake insurance and paying the $1xxx per year for detached homes, if the big one does hit odds are pretty good your insurance company is going to go under anyways lol

Insurance companies are re-insured to prevent them from going under in the event of a large scale loss.

Deductibles for earthquake losses are mostly imposed at 10% of building values/personal property values. Some older tenant/condo policies are still at 5% or if you live in a home in an area that's less likely to get flattened in an earthquake, you may have the option of a 5% deductible still (I could be wrong on the last part as I haven't been doing home insurance for couple of years).
jdmfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #186
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:

Exactly, don't have earthquake insurance and never will. I was going to switch to one insurance provider and they wouldn't sell me house insurance without it...WTF? Yeah, guess I'll go somewhere else.

If we get a quake bad enough to knock my home the ground this Province and Country is going to have way bigger issues to deal with. If I get some cracks in my walls, oh wells either myself or the company I work could fix it at cost. The other side of it is if we get an earthquake that really fucks up most commercial buildings and homes in the LML I'm going to be making ridiculous amount of money fixing them with that whole supply and demand thing. Something about a glass half full or some shit like that.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #187

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmfemme View Post
Insurance companies are re-insured to prevent them from going under in the event of a large scale loss.
This.

It's something most people don't understand. Insurance companies all back one another, in the event one company or region has a problem, there are others who will step in. In essence unless the entire system collapses which would be like the end of the world as we know it, insurance companies aren't going anywhere.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #188
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

RS = Reliable Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Funny...... my kids wAndering what's going on. I tell them it's an earthquake.

Kids: really?

Me: yes, people felt it in Coquitlam, Nanaimo, North Van, New West, Richmond, etc.

Kids: How do you know

Me: I'm on RS.

One Kid: I want it from a reliable source..........

Me: WTF???????? RS IS reliable!!!!!

Kids...........Nuff Said.
xxxrsxxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #189

just like the insurance companies that backed the new home warantee's of leaky condos right? lol..

fuck if you guys think that there are going to be insurance companies left when buildings are in ruins, you're nuts.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #190
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

How are your pets? My cat did act weird yesterday, today and is freaking out right now. Maybe it feels a bigger one coming?
IINur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #191
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
If we get a quake bad enough to knock my home the ground this Province and Country is going to have way bigger issues to deal with. If I get some cracks in my walls, oh wells either myself or the company I work could fix it at cost. The other side of it is if we get an earthquake that really fucks up most commercial buildings and homes in the LML I'm going to be making ridiculous amount of money fixing them with that whole supply and demand thing. Something about a glass half full or some shit like that.
exactly if homes in surrey are being leveled then the whole lower mainland would be fucked.

Who needs site C, once the big one hits all the trades would be rolling in cash
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #192
HELP ME PLS!!!

Not to mention, the option to add the earthquake insured option for our detached house in Van, cost more than the home insurance premium itself. It's such a straight cash grab.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:52 PM   #193
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

My min pin sat through the earthquake like nothing was happening.
Retrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:52 PM   #194
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,596 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
There also is no proper structure to the ground there. So soil liquefaction is the big issue. It's been tested a thousand times on the shake table (unrelated to the milking table), Richmond will pretty well cease to exist after any size able earthquake event. The buildings will sink into the ground, there is no way to build. Earthquake proof anything there, short of building you house on a fucking raft or something.
Houses are built on slab-on-grade foundation so houses should be okay since the houses arent dug that deep into the ground. In regards to liquefaction, there will be major damage, but richmond won't simply "sink" into oblivion as many people assume (or hope).
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
could you imagine if you slept with parts of your limbs hanging off the side of the bed? bye bye arm & a leg

Surrey RCMP

https://twitter.com/SurreyRCMP/statu...09328057352193
Sure lotta stupid ppl out there
Calling 911 to ask if what they felt was earthquake or ask if there will be more earthquake coming soon
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #196
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
Reports stated this was the strongest quake since the one that happened in 2001 near Seattle & Tacoma. I think that one was a 6+ on the scale. I remember being in the shower and my roommate starts banging on my door telling me to get out. I told him to fuck off and finished my shower.

Came out and he asks 'you didn't feel that?'

Me: Feel what?

---

In regards to the big one? I don't think it'll happen in our lifetime to be honest. I don't base this on any science, I just scale it based on Earth's age.

Considering the Earth is BILLIONS of years old, 100 years must be, what?, 1 year in a human life? Maybe 1 day in a human life?

I mean, to us, 100 years is a long time (and it is) but when you look at it from the planet's perspective, it's not even a dimple, let alone a dent in the planet's life. Same theory could apply to this overdue quake.

At least this what I tell myself when I sleep at night

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #197
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Sure, if you cheap out and buy from some no name local company. I have home and earthquake coverage through RBC, which provides insurance nation wide, you think they're gonna fold if Vancouver gets hit with an earthquake?

Quote:
just like the insurance companies that backed the new home warantee's of leaky condos right? lol..

fuck if you guys think that there are going to be insurance companies left when buildings are in ruins, you're nuts.
Ford_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Fanatic View Post
Sure, if you cheap out and buy from some no name local company. I have home and earthquake coverage through RBC, which provides insurance nation wide, you think they're gonna fold if Vancouver gets hit with an earthquake?
if enough people have RBC insurance, i guarantee you some people will not be paid out.

In my initial comment i obviously didn't mean 'everyone' but if the quake is big enough surety only goes so far, regardless of how big of a backing you have.

Also, we've read through some pretty fine print regarding earthquake insurance, and some very 'good' providers make it very clear that if your house is not ruined by the earthquake but from a resulting fire, water main break, etc. you will not be covered.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:10 PM   #199
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Reports stated this was the strongest quake since the one that happened in 2001 near Seattle & Tacoma. I think that one was a 6+ on the scale. I remember being in the shower and my roommate starts banging on my door telling me to get out. I told him to fuck off and finished my shower.

Came out and he asks 'you didn't feel that?'

Me: Feel what?

---

In regards to the big one? I don't think it'll happen in our lifetime to be honest. I don't base this on any science, I just scale it based on Earth's age.

Considering the Earth is BILLIONS of years old, 100 years must be, what?, 1 year in a human life? Maybe 1 day in a human life?

I mean, to us, 100 years is a long time (and it is) but when you look at it from the planet's perspective, it's not even a dimple, let alone a dent in the planet's life. Same theory could apply to this overdue quake.

At least this what I tell myself when I sleep at night

I like your way of thinking lol.

I was sleeping and everybody in my house is screaming "earthquake blah blah blah", I'm like shut the fuck up I'm tryna sleep. I mean I "felt" it but clearly it wasn't even enough to fully wake me up out of my daze.
JACKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #200
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
http://41.media.tumblr.com/660414974...ml9o1_1280.jpg
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote