REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Every 6mo's are you guys switching account names etc?
The deal is good, but how much hassle do you have to go through?
On Telus, I just call direct line to discontinue which sends me to retention and I ask what promo can they offer me. Sometimes its a 1 year contract. Some times it's a month to month promo that lasts for 6 months, etc.

Never have to change accounts cause it's not a promo specifically for new customers.

If you don't like what you hear, hang up and call back another day and get a different sales rep. Key is, you have to talk to someone at the retention line. Any other sales rep don't have authority to customize deals.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #27
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Make a post here (via RFD) for the RFD deal:
Shaw TV/Phone/Internet Bundle $29.99 for 12 months - Page 485 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Unless Razor has a specific person.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Standard promo right now for Shaw:

Popular TV + Internet 30. ($64.90/month for 6 months)
Got a theme pack thrown in aswell for the 6 month promo, will cancel TV and go with the pick your channels once the promo is over. (Shaw confirmed, March 2016 they will roll this out ala CRTC)
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #29
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Get yourself a Nvidia Shield or an Amazon Fire TV, put Kodi, then install Spinz TV Lite build. All you basically need in one-box including Live TV, sports, TV shows, movies, etc.

As for internet, get Novus for condo/apt, Teksavvy for de-tached.
school me on this

i'm interested
how is this for watching sports? (mostly Canucks/Whitecaps games)

i'm getting crucified by Shaw right now
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #30
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
school me on this

i'm interested

Wish I could help. Unfortunately, I don't follow the Canucks/Whitecaps on Kodi.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #31
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
school me on this

i'm interested

https://www.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kodi/

Download a build
Look for SALTS build as that's supposedly the new hotness and then find SportsDevil and you're good. Live sports streamed on several different sources.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2016, 11:16 PM   #32
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Anybody do just Internet only?

I feel like I'm getting ripped off here, I'm paying $93 taxes in for Telus Internet 50

400gb bandwidth
20-50 Mbps

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #33
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

If you have any post secondary students in your family, Telus and Shaw have pretty good student deals. I'm currently with Telus paying $90 (pre tax) for internet 50, TV with the cantonese bundle (the only reason we still have TV) and home phone. The price is good for a year.
vixroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
One thing I've learned from cutting the cord is that sports streaming (free) is usually poorer quality and spotty at best. Unless you're paying for streams from the leagues themselves, they will never be as good as what cable companies provide.

If you follow only one sport, you might be better off paying for a season of streaming. If you follow more than one team, you might just need to bite the bullet and keep that cable subscription if you care about quality and the ability to record. Fortunately, I only follow the Whitecaps these days, so I'm willing to pay for MLS Live which provides 720P feeds.

If you do cut the cord, you also need to select the appropriate hardware. I had an Amazon Fire TV with Kodi, but I find an HTPC much more capable for a variety of needs (Netflix, Kodi, Skype, etc.) I would personally recommend the HP Stream boxes.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #35
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
The cantonese bundle is also the only reason we still have TV
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
^ A problem that every multi-generation household faces.

I haven't had cable in a long time, but isn't the usual strategy to go with one provider for the length of a promo and then switch to the other when the promo ends?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #37
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
One thing I've learned from cutting the cord is that sports streaming (free) is usually poorer quality and spotty at best. Unless you're paying for streams from the leagues themselves, they will never be as good as what cable companies provide.

If you follow only one sport, you might be better off paying for a season of streaming. If you follow more than one team, you might just need to bite the bullet and keep that cable subscription if you care about quality and the ability to record. Fortunately, I only follow the Whitecaps these days, so I'm willing to pay for MLS Live which provides 720P feeds.

If you do cut the cord, you also need to select the appropriate hardware. I had an Amazon Fire TV with Kodi, but I find an HTPC much more capable for a variety of needs (Netflix, Kodi, Skype, etc.) I would personally recommend the HP Stream boxes.
yea streaming sports quality is shit compared to the cable version 98% of the time.

I even have a few different legit means of viewing them, NHL GameCenter, as well as using my parents ShawGo account to login for TSN/Sportsnet, and typically the streams are just brutal.

on top of that, purchased the new version of google chrome cast to try and stream to the living room TV approx 25 feet away through a wall, works like shit as well :/

oh well, the only thing i really care about getting pristine quality anymore is the triple crown races, so probably try and get back on a 6 month package when they roll around again
Old 01-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #38
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
Anybody do just Internet only?

I feel like I'm getting ripped off here, I'm paying $93 taxes in for Telus Internet 50

400gb bandwidth
20-50 Mbps
Teksavvy here. Cable hookup. Modem purchase required about 100 bucks delivered.

30 mbs
300 gigs/month. Unlimited during early mornings hours.
51 bucks/month taxes in

I've had it for about 3 months and it has been solid.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #39
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post
In December we cancelled our Telus TV and now have Telus Internet 15 (150 GB , 15 mbps download) for about $65 tax in.

Cutting cable has been interesting. We watch more movies and surf the net. We are doing renovations on our old house so that keeps us busy!

Doing some research on TekSavvy this morning. Looks like it would be about $45 tax in for the same speed and 300 GB. (High Speed DSL 15) Just have to pay $75 activation plus $140 for a modem (shipped).
I have TELUS 25.

Would TELUS 15 suffice for mostly surfing web, downloading movies, songs, and email, social media. Rarely stream, but do occasionally.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #40
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

New hookup here.

Called in to order Shaw internet 60 for my new place. Originally $55/month for first 6 months plus a $60 first time installation fee. Internet is all I needed.

Got an upsell call 2 days later. Personal TV + 3 HD cable boxes, phone line, + waive the $60 first time installation fee.

No contract.

Total $85+tax.

Going to try out cable again and most likely cancel it within 6 months. Also going to shop around for better internet deals that will service my area with the 6 months promotional period.

So far, only Shaw and TekSavvy has internet for my place. TS is charging $85 for 60mbps.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:13 PM   #41
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Got an email from shaw offering to go to 60mb/s from 25 for only $10 extra a month for a year.

Done. Felt like I actually got a deal for once, $76 taxes in for shaw 60
Old 01-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #42
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Great - rogers / bell/ telus / shaw etc are going to be raising their rates on phones/internet/tv. . . FUCKERS!

Quote:
Wireless rates rise with hikes in internet, home phone ahead
Telcos blame low dollar and high cost of building networks for price increases
CBC News Posted: Jan 19, 2016 1:40 PM ET Last Updated: Jan 19, 2016 6:05 PM ET

Media placeholderPlay Media
Brace for higher telecom costs 5:38

5181 shares

Bell, Rogers and Telus customers should get set for rate hikes.

The three largest telecommunications companies have raised or plan to raise the prices of their wireless packages in January, and are warning of increases to home phone and internet prices in February.

Telus will be tacking on $5 to its Smartphone and Premium Smartphone tiers beginning Thursday.

CRTC wireless code now applies to all customers: What you need to know
$25 basic cable package must be in place by March 1
Cellphone
New customers of Bell and Rogers are paying more, and Telus customers will soon get bigger bills for their telecommunications services. (Antionio Guillem/Fotolia)

The change affects new customers buying phones — including Apple and Android devices — through Telus.

Rogers increased the cost of its Share Everything plans with 5GB, 9GB or 15GB of data by $5 a month on Jan. 12.

Bell also announced price increases effective Jan. 12, an additional $5 for both Lite and Plus Share plans, with increases of $3 to $8 for Mobile TV.

Together, Rogers, Telus and Bell control 89 per cent of the wireless telecom market in Canada.

Blame the low dollar

Telus told CBC News the low Canadian dollar is pushing up the price of new equipment to build out its networks.

"The modest wireless rate plan increase reflects increasing costs for network components resulting from a weaker Canadian dollar, as well as the annual multibillion-dollar investments required to keep up with the growing demand for wireless data. The change applies only to new contracts and renewals, so existing customers won't notice a change to their monthly bills," said a Telus spokeswoman.

Bell said it spends $3 billion annually to expand its broadband networks, but that most equipment comes from suppliers who charge U.S. dollars.

"The massive and ongoing investment required to build world class infrastructure is coming at a significantly higher cost due to the weak dollar," a company spokesman said in an email.

All three telcos also plan to weaken the attraction for bring-your-own-device plans by raising the price of base service.

Not much competition

According to MobileSyrup's Daniel Bader, the telcos are finding average revenue per user is dropping as people adopt more all-inclusive plans, including long distance and unlimited roaming, prompting price increases for some options.

Canadian networks are powerful and fast, but we pay some of the highest prices in the world, Bader told CBC's The Exchange.

"Unfortunately what we have in Canada is a situation where in some provinces, specifically Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta, most of the wireless subscribers are held by Rogers, Bell and Telus," he said.

Bader says he hopes that Shaw, which recently bought Wind Mobile, will introduce more competition by rolling out LTE service and creating a fourth carrier in underserved provinces.

Cost of internet, TV to rise

At the same time, the cost of residential service is rising.

Both Bell and Telus have announced price increases effective Feb. 1 on home phone, and internet and TV packages.

"Price adjustments support our continued investments in network, product and service enhancements," Bell said in a statement.

Rogers has already raised internet prices and plans to boost the cost of TV packages later in February.

In March, cable and satellite companies must introduce a $25 "basic" package and offer consumers either a choice of individual channels or small bundles of channels.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:12 AM   #43
HELP ME PLS!!!

Are you really surprised? Especially when ALL THREE announce AT THE SAME TIME that they are jacking up prices? Can't be anymore evident that they are all in bed together.

When CRTC stepped in to regulate basic cable pricing, it was quite evident that they would jack up prices somewhere to make up for the shortfall.

The only way we can turn this thing around is to abandon the CRTC and open up the market for foreign investment with real competition.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #44
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Are you really surprised? Especially when ALL THREE announce AT THE SAME TIME that they are jacking up prices? Can't be anymore evident that they are all in bed together.

When CRTC stepped in to regulate basic cable pricing, it was quite evident that they would jack up prices somewhere to make up for the shortfall.

The only way we can turn this thing around is to abandon the CRTC and open up the market for foreign investment with real competition.
yup. but i dont see it happening anytime soon unfortunately. . ..

CRTC not doing their job. This is cartel, monopolistic behaviour. They should be imposing penalities/restrictions.

Hopefully Shaw will make it more competitive now that they have purchased Wind, but I doubt it.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #45
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
yup. but i dont see it happening anytime soon unfortunately. . ..

CRTC not doing their job. This is cartel, monopolistic behaviour. They should be imposing penalities/restrictions.

Hopefully Shaw will make it more competitive now that they have purchased Wind, but I doubt it.
I agree, no real change will happen and Shaw will make little difference as well.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #46
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I had been looking around to shop for a new standalone internet package for my parents too. They are on the old Shaw 10Mbps plan, and don't have much else signed up with Shaw, so Shaw doesn't seem to care about them cancelling.

Checking other cable internet wholesalers, the prices are quite competitive between TekSavvy, LightSpeed, CIK, VMedia, etc. depending on what speeds you need. Just be sure to factor in the activation/installation/cable move fees.

From what I've read, customer service could be a potential problem with these smaller companies though, so I'm still deciding on which to choose.
kuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #47
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Funny how they want to charge us because of the low dollar. If/when the dollar goes up again, would they remove the additional costs? Hell no they won't. Whether our dollar goes up or down, the price increases will always come, this just made is easier to justify
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #48
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuri View Post
I had been looking around to shop for a new standalone internet package for my parents too. They are on the old Shaw 10Mbps plan, and don't have much else signed up with Shaw, so Shaw doesn't seem to care about them cancelling.

Checking other cable internet wholesalers, the prices are quite competitive between TekSavvy, LightSpeed, CIK, VMedia, etc. depending on what speeds you need. Just be sure to factor in the activation/installation/cable move fees.

From what I've read, customer service could be a potential problem with these smaller companies though, so I'm still deciding on which to choose.
For these indy ISP's, Teksavvy is your best choice for customer service, unless you go with Novus (for condo's/apt).
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #49
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

found out apple TV 4 can install kodi.. HMMMMM whats the best thing to do after Kodi lol
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #50
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post
found out apple TV 4 can install kodi.. HMMMMM whats the best thing to do after Kodi lol
Get an unlimited internet plan. I think Telus charges like $10-$15 more per month for no internet cap. Also be prepared that those repositories with the streams do occasionally die and sometimes won't work for days.

If most of you are really looking to cut cable and just have internet, then I suggest you read up on how to subscribe to a usenet server and setup a Sonarr + SABnzbd combo where Sonarr will download your TV shows upon release.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: