REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Mayor of Mexico city of Temixco murdered one day after she took office (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706977-mayor-mexico-city-temixco-murdered-one-day-after-she-took-office.html)

Traum 01-02-2016 03:24 PM

Mayor of Mexico city of Temixco murdered one day after she took office

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.2483409

Quote:

The newly installed mayor of the Mexican city of Temixco was killed on Saturday, according to a tweet from Morelos state Governor Graco Ramirez.

Gisela Mota, 33, formally took office with the new year on Friday. Mexico City newspaper El Universal said she was attacked at her home by four armed gunmen.

Around 7:30 a.m., the assassins entered Mota's home, beat her and then shot her in the head, according to El Economista. Paramedics arrived at 7:50 a.m. and confirmed she was dead.

Afterward, the suspects tried to flee in a van, but police followed in hot pursuit and exchanged fire with the suspects before killing two of them. The other two were taken into custody, according to Telesur.

full article from above link
Certainly we must have some Mexico experts here on RS? I came across this news just now, and while I have a very superficial understanding of Mexico's gang and drug problem, I am still more than a little surprised to see this happening in such a large city, and one that is so close to the capital.

Would be nice if a resident Mexico expert could chime in on this so that I can learn a few things.

Manic! 01-02-2016 04:53 PM

That's not uncommon
If people in North America would stop doing so much blow the problem would be greatly reduced.

DragonChi 01-02-2016 05:00 PM

Wasn't there a thread about a drug cartel leader escaping from prison?

I watched a documentary about Juarez where it was the murder capital of the world.

Razor Ramon HG 01-02-2016 05:01 PM

Friend grew up in Argentina and said he would never sit foot in the country or most places in South America ever again. Chances of getting robbed, kidnapped or killed is too real.

Bouncing Bettys 01-02-2016 05:09 PM

End the war on drugs already.

pastarocket 01-02-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 8713059)
Friend grew up in Argentina and said he would never sit foot in the country or most places in South America ever again. Chances of getting robbed, kidnapped or killed is too real.

This is 100% true. I have an uncle and cousins who are trying to apply for U.S. citizenship in order to leave Venezuela.

That country has gone down the toilet for the past twenty years. Armed robbery and kidnapping are the most common crimes in the capital city of Caracas. The economy is in shambles because of widespread government corruption, and low revenues from low oil prices.

You can fill up a tank of government subsidized gas for 2 cents per litre. :lawl:
Everybody drives SUVs in Venezuela. However, high food prices and food shortages are common.

My uncle got into a gunfight with two thieves who followed him home. Once he drove his Mercedes into his garage, two thieves got into the garage. They tried to rob him and jack his car.

My uncle, who has good marksmanship as a gun club member, calmly took his gun out of the glove compartment. He shot one thief in the left shoulder.

The other thief got scared and booked it.

Then my cousin, the daughter of this uncle, got two cellphones stolen from her at gunpoint in one week.

Shit is crazy in Venezuela. :heckno:

Mr.C 01-02-2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 8713059)

I grew up in Brazil, and you can't pay me enough to live there again. No thanks, violence is rampant there and there is zero punishment or consequences.

Edit: Yeah, Venezuela is infinitely worse. It'll need another civil war to get back on its tracks, unfortunately.

StylinRed 01-02-2016 08:16 PM

i believe she was declaring she would get tough on crime, a lot of candidates do that to get votes and when they win that happens

Hondaracer 01-02-2016 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.C (Post 8713081)
I grew up in Brazil, and you can't pay me enough to live there again. No thanks, violence is rampant there and there is zero punishment or consequences.

Edit: Yeah, Venezuela is infinitely worse. It'll need another civil war to get back on its tracks, unfortunately.

family friend of ours, really well off guy and his wife/child were walking on copa cabana beach, mid day, hot sun, wife is thai and kid under 2, so even look somewhat "local". All of them are major world travelers for business etc. so know not to wear anything which draws attention etc.

regular street clothes but had on an old rolex, moreso sentimental value worth approx 10-12k, looks like a tarnished old watch from the bay

in front of 300+ people sitting in lawn chairs the guy got jumped by 4 guys after 1 guy who walked up tried to take it off his wrist, tried to turtle hoping somone of the hundreds of people sitting on the beach might do anything

after getting stomped in the head 3-4 times he just gave it up. An older woman was the only person to come help when the waves started hitting him as he was laying in the sand.

The "tourist police" told him people in Brazil basically watch all crimes, regardless of the violence level like it's a TV show

hillmar 01-03-2016 04:07 AM

Just watched a movie called Sicario on the flight home NYE on air canada. It was pretty intense movie on Mexico and the drug Cartels! Probly fiction but there has to be some truths to the movie.

Mr.Money 01-03-2016 06:58 AM

^^^....the dead bodies hanging from a rope on public streets yes....beheadings too,i'm pretty sure online these drug cartels record they're violent crimes too...

drug cartel gangs filming murder with chainsaws to there neck,Filming themselves ambushing police cars with automatic rifles on street corners laughing about it "IT's just like a video game!"...they looked about 20 of age committing crimes like this in mexico.

pretty fucked up stuff,some of these killings are carried out by early retired Mexican Army personals,they've being trained to and use it for evil.

AAnthony 01-03-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8713146)
All of them are major world travelers for business etc. so know not to wear anything which draws attention etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8713146)
had on an old rolex worth approx 10-12k

http://memesvault.com/wp-content/upl...n-Marks-01.jpg

Hot Karl 01-03-2016 09:59 AM

none of this is surprising. they just ghosted a bunch of protesting students like a year ago. go read about that shit show.

these cartels are beyond movie level over the top evil. you can legalize all drugs and they'll just get into something else. human trafficking. slanging organs.

Hondaracer 01-03-2016 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAnthony (Post 8713203)

Yea..thing is the guy wore this watch through numerous trips to India, 5-8 times a year in Thailand/SE Asia etc. it's completely unassuming. I'm sure it could have been a $50 fossil watch given the circumstances.

Mr.C 01-03-2016 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8713213)
Yea..thing is the guy wore this watch through numerous trips to India, 5-8 times a year in Thailand/SE Asia etc. it's completely unassuming. I'm sure it could have been a $50 fossil watch given the circumstances.

None of those places are as dangerous as Brazil/Latin America.

GS8 01-03-2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillmar (Post 8713167)
Just watched a movie called Sicario on the flight home NYE on air canada. It was pretty intense movie on Mexico and the drug Cartels! Probly fiction but there has to be some truths to the movie.

Yeah about that....

Go image search on Google and you'll see how very real and brutal the violence is. As a precautionary measure, I suggest not eating anything right before.

will068 01-04-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.C (Post 8713229)
None of those places are as dangerous as Brazil/Latin America.

Wow. Growing up in the Philippines, I thought I have an idea of what danger is.

Ferra 01-04-2016 10:11 AM

reminds me of some news articles about a small mexico city's police chief...

they were giving away the position because NO ONE wanted it.
They ended up giving it to some random 20 years old student who were willing to take the job, but after a few months, she didn't show up for work, turns out she fled to american to seek asylum lol
'Bravest woman in Mexico' seeks asylum in United States - CNN.com

can't blame her tho, this other one was killed after 2 months as a police chief in another city
Unarmed female Mexican police chief gunned down on way to work in latest drug gang hit | Daily Mail Online

SkinnyPupp 01-04-2016 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8713056)
That's not uncommon
If people in North America would stop doing so much blow the problem would be greatly reduced.

Or maybe legalize it so people don't have to depend on criminals to do what they should rightfully be able to do.

Manic! 01-04-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8713664)
Or maybe legalize it so people don't have to depend on criminals to do what they should rightfully be able to do.

legalize cocaine?

SkinnyPupp 01-04-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8713669)
legalize cocaine?

Legalize everything

Manic! 01-04-2016 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8713675)
Legalize everything

Ever heard of meth face?

Same person

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...vpq1wxrjpg.jpg

People on drugs can't afford drugs end up doing crime to pay for drugs.

SkinnyPupp 01-04-2016 07:57 PM

I won't even debate this with you, you're not capable

Manic! 01-04-2016 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8713687)
I won't even debate this with you, you're not capable

Well Legalizing everything is stupid. From my understanding Legalize everything would mean I person could go to a pharmacist and just order what ever they wanted.

Mr.C 01-04-2016 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will068 (Post 8713505)
Wow. Growing up in the Philippines, I thought I have an idea of what danger is.

Video from 2 months ago in Rio:

Imagine going down Hwy 1 and having to lay down on the pavement so you don't get shot. Regular occurrence there.