REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-05-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 168 Posts
Japan Electronics center

Anyone use them before?

basically, I'm having issues with shitty bluetooth connection with my alpine AV headunit. Bluetooth phone works fine but music connection is very glitchy and spotty. Tested with 4 different phones. Sadly, it's 3 weeks past warranty period.

According to Alpine website, Japan electronics center on main st is the warranty/repair center.
> www.japanelectronics.ca

Only reviews i can find are yelp and 80% of it is pretty negative. Wondering if anyone dealt with them before or if you know of any reputable Alpine Headunit repair places, let me know.

Thanks
Advertisement
mekaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:11 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,359 Times in 382 Posts
went to them to have a look at the stock head unit for my infiniti, sold as bose manufactured by alpine. charged a flat rate of $30~ to diagnose and was told I'd have to replace the whole circuit board for 400 if I wanted it repaired. Used ones from craigslist were about 100-200, it's just slightly difficult to find the matching serial number for perfect fitting parts.

Seeing as how problems with this particular head unit are pretty much universal across all of the applications nissan has used them, It should've just been a simple resoldering job with minimal supplies according to some google searches and youtube videos. But they chose to ignore what I had to say and suggested replacing the entire board regardless. Anyways, I said no and sucked up the loss. Purchased a double din from RPM electronics which I'm very happy with.

Doubt many people here have experience with them, so take my experience as you may.
ShanghaiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:51 AM   #3
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
had my pioneer head unit fixed by them...

took 2 months and part of it was they forgot my work order.

You get want you pay for. It may be labelled as a authorized dealer, but it is still a small operation in there. They lack enough personnel to handle the load of work going through their doors.

In the end, i brought the head unit there twice because they forgot to re connect the RCA outputs. they probably assume i was just running power off the headunit to the speakers like most ppl.

Im a pretty patient person, so im use to waiting for what i want.

overall, would i go to them again, only absolutely if needed.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
went to them before to have a clarion double din deck fixed

fixed in a reasonable amount of time (1 week) - told them i was in no rush

when i got the deck back and got it installed again (the gps antenna on the deck's end fell in) - they offered to fix it for free after i brought it back to them to fix that issue

would probably go back again

TSS x Revscene Track Day Organizer

1991 Formula Red NSX - 3.2L ITB
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I had an issue with my Alpine amp (prob. about 12-13 years ago now) was near enf of warranty period, took it there cause like you said it was the only place out here that Alpine has listed as authorized. They took a while (month) to get my amp back then after about 2 months had the same issue with the amp. Their "repair" was basically a band aid fix instead of an actual repair, by this time my amp was out of the warranty period. Never went back there again. Buddy of mine took it to someone he knew at the time and he repaired it in about half hour, back in my hands within a day.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I had my Bose headunit serviced twice by them 5 years ago. Long story short, I spent about $380 on service repairs and waited over 2 months for repairs and CDs still won't play properly. I suppose I'm not too bothered about it since I use the AUX anyway now.

Depending on what needs repair I would go elsewhere or suck it up and buy something else.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,726 Times in 894 Posts
I took my Kenwood double din there to get fixed a few years back, lcd was changing colors on me. I think turn around was roughly a month? Don't remember. don't really have any other comments as it was under warranty from Kenwood and I didn't have to pay. I guess it would be nice if it was faster.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
RS Licensed Vendor

I use them frequently. Jack is a solid person, but like SG said, small operation with too much workload. They're pretty disorganized. So you have to have patience. You may need to bring it back, but he'll always eventually get it fixed.

I use them when I have to, but turn around with them is quite slow so I use others when I can. But for warranty sometimes you don't have a choice.

I would expect a time frame of 2 weeks to 2 months. You have to follow up with them because he won't remember. You may be better sending it to another service depot out of Province. They're usually quicker lol
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 168 Posts
anyone else in town who can fix alpine headunit with decent turnaround time? since it's past warranty period, I'd rather not wait for too long. I should've done it while it was still under warranty but was too lazy to remove it again
mekaw is offline   Reply With Quote