REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   "You go to Starbucks for coffee, not to get robbed!" (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707017-you-go-starbucks-coffee-not-get-robbed.html)

Acura604 01-05-2016 07:44 AM

"You come to Starbucks for coffee, not to get robbed!"

Starbucks customer confronts barista who stole her credit card info

She may have filed a police report, but this angry Starbucks customer was on a mission to personally accuse a barista of stealing her credit card.

“We’re gonna get even, that’s what we’re gonna do,” Elizabeth Becerra of California said while approaching the shop’s drive-through window and hashing out her plan to confront the 19-year-old coffee server.

In the curse-filled tirade recorded by her brother (with over 170,000 YouTube views) the woman claimed the barista charged $212 to her credit card at a grocery store a day after her info was stolen.

“So we got you on camera yesterday,” an angry Becerra started.

“Just know that the cops are coming up here,” the woman unleashed. “They recorded your ass and everything. You took a copy of my f—ing card on New Year’s Day! You know what you did,” she screamed from her car.

The cashier, clearly petrified, said, “I’m so sorry, ma’am,” and started profusely apologizing — explaining that she’s “a good child,” a student and soccer player.

The shocked girl even admitted how she did it — she wrote down the woman’s credit card number when she stepped away claiming to need receipt paper.

The barista tried to pay the furious customer back on the spot, but that wasn’t good enough.

“You go to Starbucks to get coffee, not to get robbed!” Becerra said.

And it looks like she got what she wanted, as a Starbucks spokeswoman confirmed to FoxNews.com that the employee no longer wears a green apron.

yray 01-05-2016 07:48 AM

Not tapping or using shitbux app in the 21st century :lawl:

meme405 01-05-2016 07:51 AM

I dont understand, how does it work in the states, so she wrote down this ladies number, expiry and security code.

How did she manage to use that at the grocery store? Did she verbally tell them the credit card information and they accepted it?

I can see how she could have easily used the information to buy something online (although that would have failed almost immediately since she wouldn't have the right shipping or billing address).

EDIT: or maybe I am not giving this girl enough credit (pun intended), she managed to print her own card? In which case this goes from a crime of opportunity to this girl being a criminal mastermind, as she would have most certainly done this multiple times.

murd0c 01-05-2016 07:56 AM

Prob has a friend working at the grocery store and she gave them the number manually.

fliptuner 01-05-2016 08:02 AM

Considering a lot of grocery stores still accept cheques (or checks) in the US, I'm not really surprised the customer still swipes her card and that the kid managed to use the stolen info. Hell, most of the stores I go to down there, don't even use chip technology.

Spoon 01-05-2016 08:05 AM

^
Never worked retail. But when a cc's magnetic strip fails, I believe a cashier can still process a cc transaction manually by entering the card information.

pastarocket 01-05-2016 08:25 AM

Sometimes it pays to go "old school" and pay for that coffee using cash. :troll:

Why didn't this woman use a pre-loaded Starbucks card to pay for the coffee? :suspicious:

StylinRed 01-05-2016 09:01 AM

she probably scanned the persons card onto her own reader or something and wrote the data onto a blank card?

google 'white card fraud'

604STIG 01-05-2016 10:01 AM

So many shops in the states are still running super old school credit card machines, not surprised at all.

mr_chin 01-05-2016 10:26 AM

People still hand their card to the barista/employee at drive thru? I never understood why. They take your card, put it in the machine and then gives it the machine to you...

Anyhow, if charges are pressed, this 19 year old's life goes bye bye.

Manic! 01-05-2016 10:37 AM

We are talking about Merica. They don't even have bank debit cards or chip and pin. In Canada almost all places will not do manual credit card transactions.

Why is the US a decade behind Europe on 'chip and pin' cards? | Heather Long | Opinion | The Guardian

punkwax 01-05-2016 11:26 AM

I kinda feel like I get robbed each time I go to Starbucks...

StylinRed 01-05-2016 12:00 PM

I just remembered, I still have $10 on my starbucks app! it's been almost 2 years no i think... does it expire? (don't go to starbucks)

Spoon 01-05-2016 12:08 PM

^ not legally allowed to expire.

SoNaRWaVe 01-05-2016 12:26 PM

work at starbucks here. credits don't expire. for the longest time, if you don't use your card for 12 months consecutive, they used to dock like $2 off. i think they got rid of that clause a while ago.

go to starbucks website and check the balance. or if you have it on you, just walk into a store and ask them to check the balance for you.

FN-2199 01-05-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8713798)
^
Never worked retail. But when a cc's magnetic strip fails, I believe a cashier can still process a cc transaction manually by entering the card information.

Most systems here won't let you input cc info manually; if they do it usually requires manager password approval.

Considering that chip cards appear to be space age tech in the US, I wouldn't be surprised at how easy it would be to steal someone else's info.

Mr.HappySilp 01-05-2016 12:48 PM

Always use cash when possible. Let's hope I don't get rob......

EmperorIS 01-05-2016 12:51 PM

$6 for a coffee at Starbucks is pretty much robbery

vitaminG 01-05-2016 01:10 PM

^nobody telling you to order a a $6 coffee, their regular drip coffee is same price as anywhere else and they give out better rewards than stupid monopoly or roll up the rim

Ch28 01-05-2016 01:16 PM

The way Americans still pay for their goods at point of sales is really behind compared to Canada.

Most Americans are just learning about pin chips in their credit cards and are complaining about having to insert their card and type in their pin :lol

604STIG 01-05-2016 01:44 PM

I face palm and rage on the inside anytime i'm in line and someone ahead of me pulls out the ol' cheque book. Can't believe it happens in this day and age.

bcrdukes 01-05-2016 01:49 PM

The PIN / chip system is pretty barely catching on at some vendors, both major retail chains and mom'n'pop shops.

Some retailers have the system, but don't know how to use it, and will reject the sale outright. It's pretty frustrating travelling there on business sometimes.

StylinRed 01-05-2016 04:34 PM

ncix still takes an imprint of my CC and i get all :suspicious:

Nlkko 01-05-2016 05:33 PM

I had the same issue with a towing company driver once. Wrote down my card number and few days later, couple charges (other than towing fee) showed up on it. Just dispute over the phone no time for this social justice business.

MG1 01-05-2016 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8713890)
^nobody telling you to order a a $6 coffee, their regular drip coffee is same price as anywhere else and they give out better rewards than stupid monopoly or roll up the rim

yup, right now, I get 4 Starbucks stars for every purchase. I spend a grand total of $1.89 for a cup. I get discount for having a refillable mug. You get reward after 12 stars. Anything in store...... be it drinks or food. Before that, I had offer of ten stars for reloading card with 10 bucks or more. Refills are free if you reach green and gold level.

I pay via smartphone app. Balance is updated almost ASAP.