REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Hyundai Elantra vs Jeep Wrangler SUV (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707025-hyundai-elantra-vs-jeep-wrangler-suv.html)

Acura604 01-05-2016 02:20 PM

Hyundai Elantra vs Jeep Wrangler SUV

Before I post this... I don't want to appear insensitive to the deaths that occurred with this impaired driving incident. It literally got me to tears to think that a 2yr old and a 5yr old were robbed of their lives due to the selfish actions of a drunk driver.

2 kids were killed as well as their parents... that's 4 people in a Hyundai Elantra when it was either broadsided by the Jeep Wrangler SUV. details of the accident are not entirely available so I'm assuming a few things.

This brings me to my point... what speed/velocity would this person have to be going to have hit this elantra so hard that all occupants were killed. seatbelts/airbags/etc most likely deployed but such a horrific impact negated these safety 'features.

Death of 5-year-old results in new charges after Sask. highway crash - Saskatoon - CBC News

photo of the deceased:
http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/t....letterbox.jpg

photo of the accused:
http://i.cbc.ca/1.3226012.1442094281...thie-mckay.JPG

hchang 01-05-2016 02:29 PM

RIP

I can't comment on the velocity but common sense should tell you who would win if you put an SUV against a sedan.

I had this argument with a friend a while back, he bought an echo and was raving about how good the crash ratings were.
So how about I jump in my truck you jump in your Echo and we drive head on into each other, let's see who walks out.

Doesn't matter how good a smart cars ratings are but if a tractor trailer t bones you then sorry, you're SOL

For safety reasons I just can't go back to sedans sports cars etc I've seen so many weird accidents, who knows which cars are drunk, distracted, fell asleep Etc I can only do so much to avoid an accident but if the unforseeable happens you want you and your family or friends/occupants to be safe

Lomac 01-05-2016 02:34 PM

The article states the Jeep was trying to cross the highway when the accident occurred. I'm assuming the Elantra was probably driving at highway speeds and ended up t-boning the Jeep. Driving at speeds of 100+ and hitting an object that's not really moving can definitely fuck up your car quite badly. I'm curious if the Jeep was lifted at all as well. One thing that always scares me driving around lifted vehicles is that the bumpers are no longer properly aimed at the safety bars built into vehicles and will instead hit in more vulnerable places.

Regardless, RIP to the family.

Jmac 01-05-2016 02:36 PM

Crash ratings are based on collisions with the same (or similar) vehicle.

So an Echo would be rated based on a collision with another Echo.

I know there was talk about changing the ratings system to be more reflective of a worst case scenario, but I'm not sure if it has been changed yet.

Edit:
NHTSA
Quote:

19. Can I compare vehicles from different classes?
Side crash rating results can be compared across all classes because all vehicles are hit with the same force by the same moving barrier or pole.

Rollover ratings can also be compared across all classes. Frontal crash rating results can only be compared to other vehicles in the same class and whose weight is plus or minus 250 pounds of the vehicle being rated. This is because a frontal crash rating into a fixed barrier represents a crash between two vehicles of the same weight.

StylinRed 01-05-2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8713911)
The article states the Jeep was trying to cross the highway when the accident occurred. I'm assuming the Elantra was probably driving at highway speeds and ended up t-boning the Jeep. Driving at speeds of 100+ and hitting an object that's not really moving can definitely fuck up your car quite badly. I'm curious if the Jeep was lifted at all as well. One thing that always scares me driving around lifted vehicles is that the bumpers are no longer properly aimed at the safety bars built into vehicles and will instead hit in more vulnerable places.

Regardless, RIP to the family.

that scares me too, which is why i h8 lifted vehicles, especially when so many lifted vehicles are driven by complete morons

Eff-1 01-05-2016 05:09 PM

Looks like the speed limit on that stretch of hwy is 110. The lady who collided with the family was attempting to cross all 4 lanes of it.

SumAznGuy 01-05-2016 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 8713966)
Looks like the speed limit on that stretch of hwy is 110. The lady who collided with the family was attempting to cross all 4 lanes of it.

If you google map that intersection, it is 2 lanes plus a left turn lane, big patch of grass and then another 2 lanes plus a left turn lane.
There are only the 2 stop signs on Wanuskwin Rd.

The patch of grass would be similar to the grass between the east and west bound lanes of Hwy 1 once you pass the the toll bridge into Surrey when coming from Vancouver.

Soundy 01-05-2016 08:06 PM

The article is pretty vague about the crash itself, but I'd have to think that unless the Jeep was doing 100+ and blew the stop sign before hitting the Elantra, what's more likely is that the Elantra just clipped the Jeep and either launched, or rolled about a dozen times. Either way, all those safety devices can only do so much; physics, momentum, all that come into play. An airbag won't save you if it's crushed into your chest.

quasi 01-06-2016 05:40 AM

I haven't looked at the location where this happened but the highways in Saskatchewan are slightly different then BC. There are many locations where you're going along major highways and they have turn lanes (no lights) where you'll have to cross the highway to get to the road on the other side of the highway in lieu of an offramp that would take you over the highway. When I visit my parents I have to turn on one of these roads across hwy 1, at first I was like what the fuck is this?

I have no idea if this is what happened here and if she was impaired all bets are off but I'm guessing she probably didn't drive down into a ditch to cross the road.

zilley 01-06-2016 07:54 AM

RIP.

Galactic_Phantom 01-06-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8714086)
I haven't looked at the location where this happened but the highways in Saskatchewan are slightly different then BC. There are many locations where you're going along major highways and they have turn lanes (no lights) where you'll have to cross the highway to get to the road on the other side of the highway in lieu of an offramp that would take you over the highway. When I visit my parents I have to turn on one of these roads across hwy 1, at first I was like what the fuck is this?

I have no idea if this is what happened here and if she was impaired all bets are off but I'm guessing she probably didn't drive down into a ditch to cross the road.

:fulloffuck:

CivicBlues 01-06-2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8714086)

This is called a non-limited access highway which is quite common in the prairies where roads have low volume. As opposed to a freeway which has grade separated intersections.

BrRsn 01-06-2016 10:56 AM

Also have to keep in mind a wrangler has a body on frame construction and the sedan is probably a unibody

The wrangler's strongest point hit the hyundai's weakest (side impact) so you can think of driving two solid metal beams like a battering ram into thin sheet metal -- with the height of the wrangler in comparison to the car it's also pretty likely that the frame/bumper of the jeep hit above the rocker panel/frame rail of the car so there was little to no structure to lessen the impact aside from the B-pillar of the hyundai

so the speed of impact probably doesn't have to be as high as you'd imagine -- I'd guess anything above 65-70km/hr would be enough to cause that kind of damage