REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
Hyundai Elantra vs Jeep Wrangler SUV

Before I post this... I don't want to appear insensitive to the deaths that occurred with this impaired driving incident. It literally got me to tears to think that a 2yr old and a 5yr old were robbed of their lives due to the selfish actions of a drunk driver.

2 kids were killed as well as their parents... that's 4 people in a Hyundai Elantra when it was either broadsided by the Jeep Wrangler SUV. details of the accident are not entirely available so I'm assuming a few things.

This brings me to my point... what speed/velocity would this person have to be going to have hit this elantra so hard that all occupants were killed. seatbelts/airbags/etc most likely deployed but such a horrific impact negated these safety 'features.

Death of 5-year-old results in new charges after Sask. highway crash - Saskatoon - CBC News

photo of the deceased:

photo of the accused:
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
RIP

I can't comment on the velocity but common sense should tell you who would win if you put an SUV against a sedan.

I had this argument with a friend a while back, he bought an echo and was raving about how good the crash ratings were.
So how about I jump in my truck you jump in your Echo and we drive head on into each other, let's see who walks out.

Doesn't matter how good a smart cars ratings are but if a tractor trailer t bones you then sorry, you're SOL

For safety reasons I just can't go back to sedans sports cars etc I've seen so many weird accidents, who knows which cars are drunk, distracted, fell asleep Etc I can only do so much to avoid an accident but if the unforseeable happens you want you and your family or friends/occupants to be safe

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
The article states the Jeep was trying to cross the highway when the accident occurred. I'm assuming the Elantra was probably driving at highway speeds and ended up t-boning the Jeep. Driving at speeds of 100+ and hitting an object that's not really moving can definitely fuck up your car quite badly. I'm curious if the Jeep was lifted at all as well. One thing that always scares me driving around lifted vehicles is that the bumpers are no longer properly aimed at the safety bars built into vehicles and will instead hit in more vulnerable places.

Regardless, RIP to the family.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Crash ratings are based on collisions with the same (or similar) vehicle.

So an Echo would be rated based on a collision with another Echo.

I know there was talk about changing the ratings system to be more reflective of a worst case scenario, but I'm not sure if it has been changed yet.

Edit:
NHTSA
Quote:
19. Can I compare vehicles from different classes?
Side crash rating results can be compared across all classes because all vehicles are hit with the same force by the same moving barrier or pole.

Rollover ratings can also be compared across all classes. Frontal crash rating results can only be compared to other vehicles in the same class and whose weight is plus or minus 250 pounds of the vehicle being rated. This is because a frontal crash rating into a fixed barrier represents a crash between two vehicles of the same weight.

Last edited by Jmac; 01-05-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
The article states the Jeep was trying to cross the highway when the accident occurred. I'm assuming the Elantra was probably driving at highway speeds and ended up t-boning the Jeep. Driving at speeds of 100+ and hitting an object that's not really moving can definitely fuck up your car quite badly. I'm curious if the Jeep was lifted at all as well. One thing that always scares me driving around lifted vehicles is that the bumpers are no longer properly aimed at the safety bars built into vehicles and will instead hit in more vulnerable places.

Regardless, RIP to the family.
that scares me too, which is why i h8 lifted vehicles, especially when so many lifted vehicles are driven by complete morons
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Looks like the speed limit on that stretch of hwy is 110. The lady who collided with the family was attempting to cross all 4 lanes of it.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #7
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Looks like the speed limit on that stretch of hwy is 110. The lady who collided with the family was attempting to cross all 4 lanes of it.
If you google map that intersection, it is 2 lanes plus a left turn lane, big patch of grass and then another 2 lanes plus a left turn lane.
There are only the 2 stop signs on Wanuskwin Rd.

The patch of grass would be similar to the grass between the east and west bound lanes of Hwy 1 once you pass the the toll bridge into Surrey when coming from Vancouver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
The article is pretty vague about the crash itself, but I'd have to think that unless the Jeep was doing 100+ and blew the stop sign before hitting the Elantra, what's more likely is that the Elantra just clipped the Jeep and either launched, or rolled about a dozen times. Either way, all those safety devices can only do so much; physics, momentum, all that come into play. An airbag won't save you if it's crushed into your chest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:40 AM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I haven't looked at the location where this happened but the highways in Saskatchewan are slightly different then BC. There are many locations where you're going along major highways and they have turn lanes (no lights) where you'll have to cross the highway to get to the road on the other side of the highway in lieu of an offramp that would take you over the highway. When I visit my parents I have to turn on one of these roads across hwy 1, at first I was like what the fuck is this?

I have no idea if this is what happened here and if she was impaired all bets are off but I'm guessing she probably didn't drive down into a ditch to cross the road.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
RIP.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I haven't looked at the location where this happened but the highways in Saskatchewan are slightly different then BC. There are many locations where you're going along major highways and they have turn lanes (no lights) where you'll have to cross the highway to get to the road on the other side of the highway in lieu of an offramp that would take you over the highway. When I visit my parents I have to turn on one of these roads across hwy 1, at first I was like what the fuck is this?

I have no idea if this is what happened here and if she was impaired all bets are off but I'm guessing she probably didn't drive down into a ditch to cross the road.
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,383 Times in 1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post

This is called a non-limited access highway which is quite common in the prairies where roads have low volume. As opposed to a freeway which has grade separated intersections.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #13
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Also have to keep in mind a wrangler has a body on frame construction and the sedan is probably a unibody

The wrangler's strongest point hit the hyundai's weakest (side impact) so you can think of driving two solid metal beams like a battering ram into thin sheet metal -- with the height of the wrangler in comparison to the car it's also pretty likely that the frame/bumper of the jeep hit above the rocker panel/frame rail of the car so there was little to no structure to lessen the impact aside from the B-pillar of the hyundai

so the speed of impact probably doesn't have to be as high as you'd imagine -- I'd guess anything above 65-70km/hr would be enough to cause that kind of damage
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote