REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #26
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
in the end, if it doesnt work out, just make sure you find a reputable drywall company and the repair shouldnt be too bad
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #27
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
https://www.cwilson.com/services/18-...rporation.html

This is a decent source regarding bylaws and issues like these.

Unfortunately eff-1 is correct and the bylaws do state the strata lot damage is the responsibility of the owner.

Unless your building has its own amendments that state otherwise, you may be SOL.
I also saw that same article. But the situations from the article are not entirely the same as mine. It was the rain water that penetrated the exterior wall and pooled over my ceiling. I am also not sure what is the proper legal definition of the strata lot and common property. Does strata lot include the ceiling and insulation? Of course I am going to seek legal advise on that. But just want to see if there are others out there who also experienced something similar.
all4one4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
in the end, if it doesnt work out, just make sure you find a reputable drywall company and the repair shouldnt be too bad
The strata did get a quote for me. And it came back as a whooping $3200 charge for an approximately 5x5 ceiling plus insulation. Probably another topic for another time...
Old 01-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #29

Well looks like I am SOL this time . Can someone PM me any reputable drywall company/contractors that can help me out. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #30
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Check out atlas drywall.

I don't have a contact unfortunately as I'm not allowed contractually to give them out but they are always honest and reliable.

Good luck
Old 01-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #31
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4one4u View Post
The strata did get a quote for me. And it came back as a whooping $3200 charge for an approximately 5x5 ceiling plus insulation. Probably another topic for another time...
not sure what you asking by making this thread..

you don't sound frustrated or disappointed..

If you are ok with paying then thats fine. But if it is something you think you shouldn't be paying by principle then, stand by your rights and fight.
Nssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #32
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

haha what building is this? I think my company got called out for a buildings exterior envelope failing and leaking through every unit.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #33
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
I also saw that same article. But the situations from the article are not entirely the same as mine. It was the rain water that penetrated the exterior wall and pooled over my ceiling. I am also not sure what is the proper legal definition of the strata lot and common property. Does strata lot include the ceiling and insulation? Of course I am going to seek legal advise on that. But just want to see if there are others out there who also experienced something similar.
isn't exterior wall strata responsibility?
afaik, anything on the outside of your unit is strata's responsibility

Quote:
Division 2 — Powers and Duties of Strata Corporation

Repair and maintenance of property by strata corporation
8 The strata corporation must repair and maintain all of the following:

(a) common assets of the strata corporation;
(b) common property that has not been designated as limited common property;
(c) limited common property, but the duty to repair and maintain it is restricted to
(i) repair and maintenance that in the ordinary course of events occurs less often than once a year, and
(ii) the following, no matter how often the repair or maintenance ordinarily occurs:
(A) the structure of a building;
(B) the exterior of a building;
Strata Property Act

if the exterior wall was penetrated, then that represents a clear failure of the strata to maintain their duties
that failure to maintain resulted in them having to come up to your unit to cut your ceiling to fix something that was caused by something external
so Strata pays

i dunno if its just me but it's pretty clear cut...your strata is a bunch of dumb fuck brains in this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
according to the standard strata bylaws, any damages caused inside the unit, like water damaged ceilings, carpet replacments, etc (even though it was from the leak in the building envelope) are still the owner's responsibility. the location of the source of the leak doesn't matter.

it's stupid, but that's the way it is.
i'm curious about this
where is your source for this?
i'd want it for future reference...i couldn't find it in the strata property act (used, "repair", and "damage" as keywords)
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."

Last edited by 6o4__boi; 01-11-2016 at 07:12 AM.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #34
degenerate extraordinaire

Afaik strata is responsible for the repair of anything outside of said strata lot. They will be fixing the outside wall and the ingress, but the ceiling itself may be considered part of the strata lot, hence the owner paying it.

Surprised we don't have any property managers or lawyers here chipping in.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #35
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Just make a thread on reddit vancouver page.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, first off, I am not looking for legal advice I just wanted to see if anyone else has had experience similar to mine and won't mind sharing.

1. Leak in condo--strata sent people to cut a hole in my ceiling to find cause
2. Report found leak caused by exterior leak (improper installation of ingress)
3. Strata fixes the exterior leak
4. Strata does not want to pay to repair my ceiling

Question is, who is suppose to pay to fix my ceiling??

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated!
So the strata sent people into your unit to investigate, then cut a hole in your ceiling to diagnose the problem, and now will not repair the hole which they approved to make.

Eff-1 is correct, that it is the responsibility of the owner to handle repairs in his/her own unit. Yet the strata directed someone to cut a hole in your ceiling, any sane person would think they are on the hook to pay to fix their decision.

I would pay the bill, then take the strata to small claims court to recoup my costs. I can't see a judge awarding a win to the strata after he hears how this was handled.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #37
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
in old country you'd get beaten with sack of potatoes for this type of behaviour (both OP's and Strata)

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #38
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
OP said the leak caused water to pool on top of his ceiling. The argument most likely will be either:

1) The hole was necessary to be cut to investigate the leak, otherwise if not for that, his unit would have absolutely nothing to do with this (in which case OP shouldn't be responsible for repairs)

2) Because there was water pooled on top of the ceiling, the ceiling was considered water-damaged and therefore the repairs are the OP's responsibility.

Before going to small claims court, i'd contact your home insurance broker and see what they say. This may not be sizable enough for you to start a claim, but if your insurance company is of the opinion the strata is wrong, then small claims could be a a good idea.

You can also contact the Condominium Home Owners Assocation of BC. They have strata experts you can talk to. If your strata is a member of CHOA (most of them are), then you can contact one of their advisors for free and explain the situation and see what they think.

CHOA
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #39
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post

if the exterior wall was penetrated, then that represents a clear failure of the strata to maintain their duties

i'm curious about this
where is your source for this?
i'd want it for future reference...i couldn't find it in the strata property act (used, "repair", and "damage" as keywords)
You're assuming the strata was negligent. You'd have to prove that. For example, the strata knew for a couple years the wall was leaking/had issues and chose not to do anything about it. Because the wall sprung a leak, doesn't suddenly mean the leak was the strata's fault and they failed to do anything. It could be caused by a number of things.

The strata act says:

i] Standard Bylaws 2 and 8 of the Strata Property Act state:

(1) An owner must repair and maintain the owner’s Strata Lot, except for repair and maintenance that is the responsibility of the Strata Corporation under these bylaws.

The ceiling is considered part of the Owner's Strata Lot.

Last edited by Eff-1; 01-11-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #40

Yes...but if you read subsection 1 it also says "...except for repair and maintenance that is the responsibility of the Strata Corp under these bylaws."

fixing the leaking exterior wall via that Strata lot's ceiling falls under that.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
Old 01-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #41
private modder

Like I said before, if the strata needed to cut a hole into the ceiling in order to access and fix an exterior wall leak that had nothing otherwise to do with the owner's unit, then the strata should be the one to fix the hole.

But the OP said the leak had pooled water on top of his ceiling, which I assume the water had damaged the ceiling drywall. Therefore the strata is saying the ceiling repairs are the responsibility of the owner (even though the strata cut a hole into it). So I guess technically you could argue the owner is responsible for paying to replace the water damage and the strata is responsible for paying to fix the hole, but it's like most strata situations where both parties point the finger at each other and ultimately only a judge can make the final call depending on his/her interpretation of the act.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #42

yeah...lol definitely interested in how this ends