REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   insurance decal torn half (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707049-insurance-decal-torn-half.html)

anxiety 01-07-2016 09:23 AM

insurance decal torn half

Hi guys,

A few days ago, when I put my new insurance decal on my license plate, it wasn't properly positioned to cover the last decal, so I tried to take it off while half of it was already on the plate.

The bad news is when I did that the decal was torn to half, anyway I tried my best to put the half with the other half together. I don't think it's perfectly aligned, so I'm not sure if the decal is still valid.

In the past I know that you can get pulled over for a ticket for not displaying the decal. In my case, I displayed the decal, but can the officer still scan my plate/insurance properly? Would I get pulled over for a ticket in the case that the officer can't scan my decal?

Thanks in advance.

H.Specter 01-07-2016 10:47 AM

strong name to post content correlation.

v_tec 01-07-2016 11:01 AM

Just pay $18 for a new decal so you won't suffer from anxiety. This is why you shouldn't stack two decades worth of stickers ontop of each other.

anxiety 01-07-2016 11:24 AM

^Literally just got the new plate last month with 1 decal on top another not a stack of, hence why I'm hesitating to get a new plate.

anxiety 01-07-2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.Specter (Post 8714529)
strong name to post content correlation.

Seriously how many times are people going to say that? Got nothing to contribute except to come in and post that...:stfu:

Fafine 01-07-2016 11:28 AM

call your local insurance agency?

bluejays 01-07-2016 01:01 PM

This happened to me before when I accidentally pressure washed half my decal off. Yes it is now invalid and yes you have to pay $18 for a new one. Cops will get you for this.

anxiety 01-07-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluejays (Post 8714581)
This happened to me before when I accidentally pressure washed half my decal off. Yes it is now invalid and yes you have to pay $18 for a new one. Cops will get you for this.

So you lost half of it? I still have both two pieces on my plate. Thx for sharing your personal experience!

I try not to take the insurance agency's word because they aren't the police, but I called an insurance agency as Fafine suggested, the guy said it's alright as long as the police can read the dates fine.

He also said that the police only scans the license plate not the code on the decal, this was my main worry because if the code on the decal cannot scanned, then there will be problems.

Do the police not scan the code on the insurance decal? We got a few police officers on here, maybe they could chime in.

Eff-1 01-07-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anxiety (Post 8714546)
^Literally just got the new plate last month with 1 decal on top another not a stack of, hence why I'm anxious to get a new plate.

Fixed.

fliptuner 01-07-2016 02:16 PM

Just call any autoplan and ask how much it costs (if anything) to get a new decal. I honestly don't think it'd be $18 though (pretty sure that's for a whole new pair of plates, incl decals).

anxiety 01-07-2016 02:31 PM

^it's $18 regardless of the situation. They have to issue a new decal that involves paperwork, same with stolen plate and decal $18 too.

Replace a licence plate or decal

Like I said, I just got my new plate last month. If not, I wouldn't hesitate to get a new one.

fliptuner 01-07-2016 02:38 PM

Shitty.

sho_bc 01-07-2016 06:53 PM

It would all depend on who pulled you over, their knowledge of the MVA and how big of a stickler they were. In case you hadn't noticed, ICBC recycles colours of the valtags. There has been more than a few people who have decided to take advantage of that in various ways, including putting together pieces of valtags to make it look they have valid insurance on their vehicle by looking at the valtag alone (from the PC). If I saw a ripped or partial valtag, I would investigate further. I don't think that I, personally, have ever issued a ticket for something like that, but I might have a long time ago.... its been a while since I was on the road.

tiger_handheld 01-07-2016 06:59 PM

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...prwW0xI8IfnDpM

is350 01-07-2016 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8714668)

did you seriously read what OP had to say? The decal is in two pieces, but they stick onto the plate fine, wtf is a piece of tape gonna do?

zulutango 01-07-2016 07:33 PM

You wouldn't be the first to tear a Val Tag while sticking it to the plate. As long as both pieces are there and the complete number is there, you should have no propblem. The charge is for failiung to display the Val Tag...in other words...no part is there....not for having a tear in it. You can flush the prozac now... :)

anxiety 01-07-2016 08:01 PM

^haha thank you, I was looking forward to your reply.

Both pieces are on there, expiry date is very clear. Only the first decal # is somewhat blocked because I overlapped one piece over the other a little bit. All the rest of 7 decal numbers can be seen clearly.

fishCak3s 01-08-2016 11:20 AM

I accidentally torn my decal in half once as well, half was on the plate and half was on my fingers. I did use a piece of tape and tape them back onto the plate as best as I can and I had no problems.

tiger_handheld 01-08-2016 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by is350 (Post 8714671)
did you seriously read what OP had to say? The decal is in two pieces, but they stick onto the plate fine, wtf is a piece of tape gonna do?

cover it up so 1 half doesn't fall off and move on with life?
Also if he does get pulled over for an unaligned decal, the cop might..just might see that driver took some effort to fasten it securely.

xXSupa 01-08-2016 11:58 PM

Did not read every post, so I apologize if im repeating something.
But as long as the numbers on the decal are visible, you wont have any problems with it. That's what my insurance brokers told me when my mom ripped hers in half, lol.

murd0c 01-09-2016 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v_tec (Post 8714537)
Just pay $18 for a new decal so you won't suffer from anxiety. This is why you shouldn't stack two decades worth of stickers ontop of each other.

Do you remove your old val tag every year before you put the new one on? All I know is I have never done that and I currently have 6 stacked perfectly on each other.

Zordon 01-09-2016 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8715286)
Do you remove your old val tag every year before you put the new one on? All I know is I have never done that and I currently have 6 stacked perfectly on each other.

Easier to steal without ripping the latest one when it's stacked.

sebberry 01-12-2016 01:29 PM

Every time I've tried to remove the old decal before putting the new one on I've managed to rip it to shreds. It's pretty hard to remove a properly applied decal.

v_tec 01-12-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8715286)

Yes.

rriggi 01-18-2016 11:58 AM

Just put my 16 on, and realized I forgot to put on my 2015 one......And was pulled over a few times as well?

:suspicious::suspicious: