REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
by coast i thought he meant keep it in 2nd and as you turn dont touch anything. no brakes or gas
It would have if he hadn't told you to put the clutch in...

It clearly says clutch out only as you exit the turn, which is completely incorrect, and in a driving test would result in a failure.
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #27
I don't get it

as a beginner, i dont think you should learn the heel/toe or rev match method just yet. you should just downshift into the next lower gear or two if low rpms, and release the clutch slowly. then turn. its safer to do that way.

it might wear the clutch/synchros a little bit but at least your not learning heel/toe or rev match which may cause an accident during main roads.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #28
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

1) in all of the cars that I have driven -- as in, every single one -- 1st gear has a tranny lockout feature that prevents you from shifting into 1st unless you are going really, really slow. So I'd suggest that unless you think there is an absolute need for it, just take the corner in 2nd if you are already cruising up to the turn in 2nd.
This isn't entirely true, 1st typically lacks syncromesh. A proper double down into 1st can get you into gear, takes practice, even harder if you have a heavy ass race clutch. The issue is handling the the excess torque and wheel spin in first, but less of an issue in a turbo awd car which can benefit from the extra revs to keep you into boost.

I regularly double down into 1, it feels as seamless as shifting from 3-2. I would not recommend this for someone still learning to rev match and heel/toe.

As mentioned before, complete your braking before the corner with wheel straight and your downshift. You should be in gear, not coasting as mentioned. Look ahead through the corner, turn in looking ahead, and feed on throttle smoothly. The more throttle you apply the less steering lock you should be applying, meaning unwind the wheel.

Last edited by ncrx; 01-08-2016 at 09:38 PM.
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2016, 02:30 AM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
As others have said, for a newbie, the majority of cars do not need to be put into first gear when already in motion... you can easily go 5km/h in second gear no problem, exceptions of course above but that's more for advanced driving.

True that you should never coast with the clutch in at any time, you need power on demand to get out of emergency situations.

Also true that all your braking should be all done before you start turning a corner at all... unless we're talking about throwing a car into a corner while braking for some oversteer on purpose...
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #30
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Hi everyone,

Glad to read all the great discussion from my forum question! Yesterday I went for a drive and yes I geared down fully before entering the corner and the turn was much smoother with much more control. This was much better than trying to change the gears in the middle of the turn as I had done the previous day. By the way my car has auto rev matching so I did not have to to do this myself. Thanks for all the help everone!
spacemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #31
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

If you could some how contact this guy, he would know.

E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #32
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
by coast i thought he meant keep it in 2nd and as you turn dont touch anything. no brakes or gas
At least someone here understands me #emo
Old 01-09-2016, 09:56 PM   #33
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Err... apparently, you did?

Not sure how else I am supposed to interpret the bolded part other than "coasting in neutral"?
Quote:
Leading up to the turn he said clutch in, coast the turn and apply power/clutch out. As I'm picturing this in my head, the gear lever is in 2nd but he's got his foot stepping on the clutch pedal the entire time until after he makes the turn.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:33 AM   #34
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-SPEC View Post
If you could some how contact this guy, he would know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO7I5Tgs9vE
What car was the guy (with the dashcam) driving?
YouTube username is: Wobuffet. Is it the same guy as RS's Wobuffet??
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:53 AM   #35
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #36
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
What car was the guy (with the dashcam) driving?
YouTube username is: Wobuffet. Is it the same guy as RS's Wobuffet??
I don't recall.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:49 AM   #37
RS controls my life!

I think you should get get comfortable driving the manual first, for a month. I drove around after work for a hour or two to get the hang of smoothing the shifts and the feel of the car. Its now been a year and I am a much better manual driver, but I still think I still need some experience. Honestly you learn some tricks here and there every few days or weeks of driving, and recently I just started learning and getting better at heel toe but, its not necessary imo. Going for right turns, I tend to downshift into third or second gear, depending on the speed you're approaching the corners at.

Highway off ramps leading to turns, I just go to fourth or third. That should be enough power to exit, unless you're going really slow, then go into second. Takes time but you'll eventually get the hang of it. Its really fun and nerve racking at the beginning stage but it just comes as natural as typing on the keyboard after a while bro. Don't rush it.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #38
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

no e-brake turns mentioned....strange
Peter_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
I think the RPM range you're in is more important than the actual gear. All cars have different gear ratios, if you can keep your car in the 2-3k range when in corners you should be okay. If you're just cruising down the street significantly lower.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote