REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   will cash disappear in the future? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707075-will-cash-disappear-future.html)

Timpo 01-09-2016 02:25 PM

will cash disappear in the future?

I was wondering about this.

Right now, only 4% of money in Canada is physical cash. (coins and bank notes)
The other 96% is all imaginary/intangible (data in the computer).

So I was wondering if that would ever happen in Canada and did some Google research.
I found this article Denmark is trying eliminate cash and make it all electronic data.
Denmark hopes to boost its economy by eliminating cash - Quartz

The 4% of Canadian dollar is physical cash, but it will very likely go down to 1% or even lower in the near future.

What do you think? Do you think we're gonna eliminate cash in the future and make it all data?
It will definitely be cheaper for the government because they spend enormous amount of money designing/engineer & printing/producing cash/coins.

sdubfid 01-09-2016 02:31 PM

Implant a chip in my finger to start the car, open the house, pay for goods, check in for flights
Hate carrying keys and wallet timpo

8000rpmvtec 01-09-2016 02:33 PM

I don't think that's a good idea. It's good to at least have some physical change on you just in case. They should just leave it the way it is now. If you run out and there is no physical money (cash, coins, etc...) then you will have to BUY some in order to get more but you are going to be broke and now fucked. As I said earlier, just leave it the way it is or get rid of the stupid Bitcoin idea.

parm104 01-09-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdubfid (Post 8715168)
Implant a chip in my finger to start the car, open the house, pay for goods, check in for flights
Hate carrying keys and wallet timpo

It's like you're purposely trying to invite CharlesinCharge to come in here and tell about his higgity biggity zippity government conspiracies!

"that's how they get you mannnnnnn, they plant microchips in our bodies and control our mindss." -CiC

sdubfid 01-09-2016 03:36 PM

When everyone in the government can change a flat tire then I'll start worrying about them controlling my brain

corollagtSr5 01-09-2016 05:12 PM

Physical cash is outdated in this new age of technology. I think eventually it'll all be electronic. Chip implant or finger print payment, credit card style. Criminals however will end up chopping your hand off or removing your implanted chip lol

Manic! 01-09-2016 05:16 PM

But then how will people pay for drugs? Because i it's digital based everything can be tracked.

willystyle 01-09-2016 05:19 PM

Will I think the future will be cashless? Yes
Do I personally want that to happen? No

VR6GTI 01-09-2016 05:26 PM

how can we avoid paying taxes then? :(

murd0c 01-09-2016 05:27 PM

It won't be a chip in your finger or arm it will be pay with your phone which we are already starting to see. That being said physical cash will always be around unless something drastic happens.

meme405 01-09-2016 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8715217)
But then how will people pay for drugs?

Better get to suckin'.

Mr.HappySilp 01-09-2016 06:46 PM

I like things the way they are now. If I found a store shaddy I use cash. If I am traveling and don't want to get ding with fees I change my money in advance. Also a lot of shops and restaurant (mostly asians) only accept cash (BB Tea places for example).

tool001 01-09-2016 09:15 PM

yeh cause easy to recover taxes if deals r done via credit.......

Manic! 01-09-2016 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8715225)
It won't be a chip in your finger or arm it will be pay with your phone which we are already starting to see. That being said physical cash will always be around unless something drastic happens.

Some people already have RFID implants in there arm.

Timpo 01-09-2016 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6GTI (Post 8715224)
how can we avoid paying taxes then? :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool001 (Post 8715276)
yeh cause easy to recover taxes if deals r done via credit.......

Tax evasion isn't the only way to obtain illegal money.

Hackers have been sending malware and viruses to attack banks and other creditors and agencies.
Do your Google research, sometimes they steal north of $100+ million, much higher than business owners not claiming their bubble tea sales to IRS/CRA.

blkgsr 01-10-2016 09:37 AM

go to a developing country and ask the same question....will never happen outside of north american/europe

bloodmack 01-10-2016 10:43 AM

No, we will always need something physical to represent our currency. I think the only way this would legitimately work is if the whole world converted to one select currency.

FerrariEnzo 01-10-2016 12:59 PM

Total Recall

Manic! 01-10-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkgsr (Post 8715381)
go to a developing country and ask the same question....will never happen outside of north american/europe

In many developing countries a persons first phone is a cel phone skipping the land line all together. I could see a mobile phone to mobile phone payment transfer system working really well in these types of countries.

Nightwalker 01-11-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8715434)
In many developing countries a persons first phone is a cel phone skipping the land line all together. I could see a mobile phone to mobile phone payment transfer system working really well in these types of countries.

Apple Pay for instance.

Physical cash representing fiat currency is doomed.

Buying drugs will be a lot safer and easier when they're all legal :high:

To be honest cash is less needed for drugs already as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodmack (Post 8715400)
No, we will always need something physical to represent our currency. I think the only way this would legitimately work is if the whole world converted to one select currency.

Why? I've travelled the world with nothing but credit cards in my pocket. When the local market dealt in cash, I simply hit an ATM. As things progress, I can skip that ATM trip.

It's a win-win for the consumer and the retailer.

Mr.HappySilp 01-11-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwalker (Post 8715724)
Apple Pay for instance.

Physical cash representing fiat currency is doomed.

Buying drugs will be a lot safer and easier when they're all legal :high:

To be honest cash is less needed for drugs already as well.

Why? I've travelled the world with nothing but credit cards in my pocket. When the local market dealt in cash, I simply hit an ATM. As things progress, I can skip that ATM trip.

It's a win-win for the consumer and the retailer.

I only use cash when traveling. Is like a trust issue for me. Try going to Mexico and use your credit card. Or China a lot of place only accept local credit card. International credit card can't be use.

Manic! 01-11-2016 09:08 AM

The only problem with a cashless society is when the network goes down and it does go down. After a major earthquake people without cash are going to be screwed.

6o4__boi 01-11-2016 09:11 AM

doubt it

higher chance we'll start using bottlecaps in the future as cash

Nightwalker 01-11-2016 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8715735)
The only problem with a cashless society is when the network goes down and it does go down. After a major earthquake people without cash are going to be screwed.

I guess that's 96% of our money already.

Cash is just a currency to get things that actually have value. I guess those survivalist hoarders aren't totally crazy. In that situation, stockpiled food/water/shelter and gear will be far more valuable than cash on hand. Physical assets always win.

Cash is a token promising value but doesn't have any of its own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8715731)
I only use cash when traveling. Is like a trust issue for me. Try going to Mexico and use your credit card. Or China a lot of place only accept local credit card. International credit card can't be use.

I do too, I just pick it up on-site usually by hitting an ATM. No problems in Guatemala, Thailand, Laos, or anywhere else.

I think soon a lot of those places will be as cashless as we are.

Mr.HappySilp 01-11-2016 10:07 AM

^^ I think I use ATM once in China once I ran out of cash. And let's just say finding an ATM that accept either my credit card or debit card was near impossible. Most of their ATM don't have interac or Plus symbol. Finally found one ATM that have it, I was so happy lol.