REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Corus Entertainment acquires Shaw Media for $2.65-billion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707135-corus-entertainment-acquires-shaw-media-%242-65-billion.html)

FerrariEnzo 01-13-2016 04:04 AM

Corus Entertainment acquires Shaw Media for $2.65-billion

Corus Entertainment acquires Shaw Media for $2.65-billion - The Globe and Mail

"Corus Entertainment Inc. has agreed to pay $2.65-billion to acquire Shaw Media Inc. from Shaw Communications Inc.

The price will be paid through a combination of $1.85-billion in cash and 71 million Corus class B shares at $11.21 per share. Both companies are ultimately controlled by the Shaw family of Alberta, but are separately listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

“This is a transformational acquisition that redefines Corus and Canada’s media landscape,” said Doug Murphy, president and chief executive officer of Corus, in a statement.
"

LOL both the companies are controlled by Shaw...

StylinRed 01-13-2016 04:33 AM

I knew corus was owned by shaw, so I was like :crazy2: so it's just a restructuring/branding move I guess

white rocket 01-13-2016 07:38 AM

An interesting redistribution of assets considering they're both under the same umbrella.

pastarocket 01-13-2016 08:22 AM

I'm thinking that this business transaction would mean that Shaw has even more control over what price that they can charge customers for specialty channels and related channel packages.

I know the CRTC would never allow this to happen, but I'm gonna mention this anyways.
We need more competition in the telecommunications industry in Canada so that the consumer benefits from lower prices and better TV channel packages. :mad:

If Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner Cable, were allowed to enter Canada to sell their TV channel packages, it would force Shaw and other Canadian cable companies to offer a lower price for their TV packages to the consumer.

My aunts, uncles, and cousins pay far less each month for their cable TV packages compared to what I pay. :mad:

Then you'll have the executives from Shaw and other Canadian companies argue "Oh, we cannot compete with the Americans. Let's be patriotic and keep telecommunications/TV in Canadian hands. We'll have to layoff many staff because we cannot make enough profit if we lower our prices in order to compete with U.S. competitors".

Heck, I know many friends who do not have cable TV. They just have Netflix in order to save money.
:lawl:

Mr.HappySilp 01-13-2016 08:46 AM

puff this is nothing compare to China’s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion
China?s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion - WSJ
Soon you might start seeing some Chinese characters add to superman lol Superman and Chinese dragon warrior VS lux and Chinese dragon warrior save superman ass, or you might see is Made in China on all the screen now in their movies.

The_AK 01-13-2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8716512)
puff this is nothing compare to China’s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion
Soon you might start seeing some Chinese characters add to superman lol Superman and Chinese dragon warrior VS lux and Chinese dragon warrior save superman ass, or you might see is Made in China on all the screen now in their movies.

:heckno:

willystyle 01-13-2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8716507)
I'm thinking that this business transaction would mean that Shaw has even more control over what price that they can charge customers for specialty channels and related channel packages.

I know the CRTC would never allow this to happen, but I'm gonna mention this anyways.
We need more competition in the telecommunications industry in Canada so that the consumer benefits from lower prices and better TV channel packages. :mad:

If Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner Cable, were allowed to enter Canada to sell their TV channel packages, it would force Shaw and other Canadian cable companies to offer a lower price for their TV packages to the consumer.

My aunts, uncles, and cousins pay far less each month for their cable TV packages compared to what I pay. :mad:

Then you'll have the executives from Shaw and other Canadian companies argue "Oh, we cannot compete with the Americans. Let's be patriotic and keep telecommunications/TV in Canadian hands. We'll have to layoff many staff because we cannot make enough profit if we lower our prices in order to compete with U.S. competitors".

Heck, I know many friends who do not have cable TV. They just have Netflix in order to save money.
:lawl:

That won't happen until the Big 3 stops lobbying the government.

Quote:

Not to mention, they already own most of the theaters in the US (AMC). Won't surprise me at all if they start putting in more Chinese actors as China has recently surpassed the USA as the largest box office.

Mr.HappySilp 01-13-2016 09:32 AM

^^ The thing with most Chinese moves is that their story is very very very boring. There are a lot of restriction they can't produce a movie that shows any movement against the gov (which is why The dark knight raise was ban in China), you can't show movies with revealing(There was a TV back in China was year that was taken off air due to the way how the females were dress and they have to reedit everything which made the show totally crappy). Also some of their actors acting is horrible.

willystyle 01-13-2016 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8716526)
^^ The thing with most Chinese moves is that their story is very very very boring. There are a lot of restriction they can't produce a movie that shows any movement against the gov (which is why The dark knight raise was ban in China), you can't show movies with revealing(There was a TV back in China was year that was taken off air due to the way how the females were dress and they have to reedit everything which made the show totally crappy). Also some of their actors acting is horrible.

I agree with you, but even with all those restrictions, they make tons of revenue from theaters in China. From what I read, that market is not even close to being fully tapped yet, the revenue is growing exponentially at 15-20% per year. That's insane. Many third and fourth tier Chinese cities don't even have theaters built for Hollywood movies yet.

originalhypa 01-13-2016 10:37 AM

How is it that a thread about the Corus/Shaw merger turns into a chinese circle jerk session?

Quote:

CivicBlues 01-13-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8716548)
How is it that a thread about the Corus/Shaw merger turns into a chinese circle jerk session

The second our resident FOB, Mr.HappySilp, piped in. BrokeBack

Mr.HappySilp 01-13-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8716530)
I agree with you, but even with all those restrictions, they make tons of revenue from theaters in China. From what I read, that market is not even close to being fully tapped yet, the revenue is growing exponentially at 15-20% per year. That's insane. Many third and fourth tier Chinese cities don't even have theaters built for Hollywood movies yet.

The theaters there is no where near as nice as the ones we have here. I think the number one issue theaters face is in china is tons and tons of ppl just watch movies online for free. Till the gov starts cracking down is not easy to get people to pay when they can get it for free.

Dragon-88 01-13-2016 11:02 AM

I have never noticed that Mr.HappySilp was such a mainland fob until reading his recent posts in these past few months. PogChamp

Did he get bitten by the yellow fever?

Maybe he noticed the attention Gululu was getting and like all busy savvy mainland chinese, he decide to directly copy Gululu by replicating Gululu's opinions and grammatical knowledge and passing it off as his own. RS is an odd place.

Back to topic. Corus acquires Shaw. Meh, to be honest, the only time something like this will affect us is when the radio stations change radio hosts.

originalhypa 01-13-2016 12:20 PM

Shaw has been acting funny over the last few weeks, so I knew something was going down. It's a good thing that they're recognizing that the old ways of TV and movie distribution are dying a slow death. But is cellular the savior? The sale was made to create liquid cash for the Wind purchase.

I like their Wifi offerings, but they're not making Shaw money. Go Wifi is basically a value added for their current customers. In an industry where any growth is seen as a good thing, this is going to make or break them. Two years ago, Brad Shaw was talking about the feasibility of selling Shaw Cable to the Rogers corp. But he didn't think that the CRTC or competition bureau would allow it. That's a scary comment to hear when you consider that he is the second most powerful media man in Canada.

Mr.HappySilp 01-13-2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8716584)
Shaw has been acting funny over the last few weeks, so I knew something was going down. It's a good thing that they're recognizing that the old ways of TV and movie distribution are dying a slow death. But is cellular the savior? The sale was made to create liquid cash for the Wind purchase.

I like their Wifi offerings, but they're not making Shaw money. Go Wifi is basically a value added for their current customers. In an industry where any growth is seen as a good thing, this is going to make or break them. Two years ago, Brad Shaw was talking about the feasibility of selling Shaw Cable to the Rogers corp. But he didn't think that the CRTC or competition bureau would allow it. That's a scary comment to hear when you consider that he is the second most powerful media man in Canada.

Is hard for Shaw to move away form copper wire and onto IP TV. That's where the future is at. Not only it will save them bandwidth in the future but allows to carry much much more channel, direct marketing. But since their tech is all built into the whole coxial system is not easy for them to upgrade.

willystyle 01-13-2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8716588)
Is hard for Shaw to move away form copper wire and onto IP TV. That's where the future is at. Not only it will save them bandwidth in the future but allows to carry much much more channel, direct marketing. But since their tech is all built into the whole coxial system is not easy for them to upgrade.

Not easy, but it needs to be done. But again, I am not surprised. Canadian tech companies are never in the driver seat to lead, they only know to adopt, and even slow at that.

FerrariEnzo 01-13-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

I Posted that article not because of the amount of money but because they are both under Shaws control to begin with

SkinnyPupp 01-13-2016 06:46 PM

Quote:

It's pretty much already happening with all those shitty big budget action movies like Transformers and such.

iwantaskyline 01-14-2016 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8716588)

DOCSIS 3.1 comes out next year allowing Rogers and Shaw to introduce 1GB/S connections to homes (that rivals fibre connections FYI) without having to upgrade their coaxial networks.

I don't think you really know what IP TV is.

Mr.HappySilp 01-14-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantaskyline (Post 8716948)
DOCSIS 3 comes out next year allowing Rogers and Shaw to introduce 1GB/S connections to homes (that rivals fibre connections FYI) without having to upgrade their coaxial networks.

I don't think you really know what IP TV is.

How many ppl in their network will be able to get that type of connections. Shaw will still need to upgrade their network. There are still a lot of area that have shit wiring.

iwantaskyline 01-14-2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8716952)
How many ppl in their network will be able to get that type of connections. Shaw will still need to upgrade their network. There are still a lot of area that have shit wiring.

Try googling DOCSIS 3.1 before you talk about things you don't understand.

Mr.HappySilp 01-14-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantaskyline (Post 8716955)
Try googling DOCSIS 3 before you talk about things you don't understand.

Sorry buddy but I work in the industry and a lot of things mention in google sounds nice on paper but try to it real life don't work so well. But then I guess that's too hard for you to understand.

iwantaskyline 01-14-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8716957)
Sorry buddy but I work in the industry and a lot of things mention in google sounds nice on paper but try to it real life don't work so well. But then I guess that's too hard for you to understand.

You work in the industry yet don't know about the new generation of DOCSIS? Actually I work in the industry as well, seems like I'm more up to date than you ;)

Rogers to offer gigabit download speeds to Internet customers - The Globe and Mail

Rogers announces new gigabit internet, 4K set top box and commitment to 4K content | MobileSyrup.com

They don't need to upgrade their network to fiber with the new generation of DOCSIS, it's fact.

Also to correct my previous post it's DOCSIS 3.1

subordinate 01-14-2016 10:08 AM

subordinate 01-14-2016 10:08 AM