REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Vancouver Police searching for 3 Middle Eastern men videotaping Pacific Centre Mall

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/01/v...c-centre-mall/

Quote:
Vancouver Police are seeking the public’s help in identifying three Middle Eastern men who were seen taking 360 video within Pacific Centre Mall in downtown Vancouver on Tuesday, January 12 at approximately 6:30 p.m.

The men were seen taking video of exits and entrances and specifically capturing shots of the Dunsmuir Street exit. Mall security tried locating them but were unsuccessful.

Police initially believed four men were taking video, but the number of persons of interest has since been reduced to three men.

If you have any information about the men in the photo, please contact Vancouver Police Constable Colin Small at 604-717-2582 or Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477.
Some of us including me go to PC frequently. Any wild guesses of their motives?

SkinnyPupp Edit: Adding official press release so people don't have to visit that crap site.

Quote:
POLICE INVESTIGATING SUSPICIOUS INCIDENT AT PACIFIC CENTRE MALL

January 14, 2016
Vancouver Police are investigating a suspicious incident after three men were seen taking photographs inside a mall in downtown Vancouver.

Around 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, January 12th, three Middle Eastern looking men were seen inside Pacific Centre Mall taking photographs of the entrances and exits.

There is no information to believe that these men have committed a crime. Nor do we have information to believe that the public is currently at risk.

Police are interested in speaking with them about their activity in the mall.

Public safety remains our top priority and we are working with mall security and management to ensure the safety of visitors and staff.

Anyone with information about these men is asked to call the Vancouver Police Department at 604-717-3235.
Advertisement

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 01-15-2016 at 02:18 AM. Reason: ugh
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
I don't get it

They filming a music video...
Old 01-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
the article doesn't say why they're searching for them.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Inb4

"ITS JUST A PRANK BRO."
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordon View Post
They filming a music video...
DJ Khaled!
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #6
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
lol no one wants to say it

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
The official media release

Police Investigating Suspicious Incident at Pacific Centre Mall | Vancouver Police Department
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2016, 10:39 PM   #8

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
what the hell?

sounds like police just jumped on to the assumption that they're planning on terrorism or setting up a bomb.

how many middle eastern people do we have in Canada? and how many people have smart phones?

if they were 3 teenage girls taking pictures at shopping mall, nobody would've give 2 shits about it.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Not normal for anyone to take pictures of all the exits and entrances..
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:06 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
Not normal for anyone to take pictures of all the exits and entrances..
absolutely, it is very weird what they were doing... but if they are terrorists, they are some of the worst terrorists around.

come on, they could have at least tried to be incognito about it!!!

i'm sure it was nothing, but if it is something, these guys are even bigger idiots than normal terrorists!
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2016, 11:07 PM   #11
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
Derp Timpo... If you think the police are giving out all the information they have you're sadly mistaken. I'm sure they have very good reasons/further information that you don't need to know about.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #12
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
that certainly is suspicious to take photos of entrances and exits... but with google street view available, and inconspicuous cameras for sale (even in best buy), these guys clearly aren't the brightest, if they are up to no good
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:14 PM   #13
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

I'm pretty torn since seeing this PSA looking for these three guys. If this is all the police are going on and has put out a request like this:

On the one hand, trying to prevent a crime before it happens is important, and it does seems like diligence by the police to bring people in for questioning for suspicious activity.

But on the other hand, imagine being these three guys in the video, and being innocent. You now have all of Vancouver looking at you as suspected violent terrorists even though you might have no ill intention or even having committed crime. This could potentially cause a lot of problems for their personal lives.

I guess the question I'm asking myself is, where do we draw the line and at what point do we let fear dominate our lives? If someone was looking up blueprints to city hall, does that give the government the authority to start electronically surveying them? I shouldn't think so. Taking photos and videos of a mall is public domain.... Imagine waking up and being wanted the by the police when you and your buddies were just walking around the mall taking photos.

The honest answer is I don't know, but it's definitely something we should start talking about
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #14
das not it mane

Thanked 1,852 Times in 509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
I'm pretty torn since seeing this PSA looking for these three guys. If this is all the police are going on and has put out a request like this:

On the one hand, trying to prevent a crime before it happens is important, and it does seems like diligence by the police to bring people in for questioning for suspicious activity.

But on the other hand, imagine being these three guys in the video, and being innocent. You now have all of Vancouver looking at you as suspected violent terrorists even though you might have no ill intention or even having committed crime. This could potentially cause a lot of problems for their personal lives.

I guess the question I'm asking myself is, where do we draw the line and at what point do we let fear dominate our lives? If someone was looking up blueprints to city hall, does that give the government the authority to start electronically surveying them? I shouldn't think so. Taking photos and videos of a mall is public domain.... Imagine waking up and being wanted the by the police when you and your buddies were just walking around the mall taking photos.

The honest answer is I don't know, but it's definitely something we should start talking about
Better safe than fucking sorry.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
Why the fail in the first post. Yes it's a judgement call and yes I hope it's something totally innocent. But Like above me, better safe than fuckin sorry. Trust your gut
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-14-2016, 11:33 PM   #16

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
The story/post probably broke before there was an official/public/media release.

If you look at one of the VCB Twitter accounts's, there's a tweet saying it was "tip" they got (https://twitter.com/farhanmohamed/st...883334422528); but there's a pic that may have been what they ran the story based on (https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status...405350531072); note the intended audience/nature of the information.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:41 PM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
Imagine what would happen to GVR RE if a terrorist attack takes place in PC? That's where all the fuerdai goes to spend their money!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:52 PM   #18

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Why the fail in the first post. Yes it's a judgement call and yes I hope it's something totally innocent. But Like above me, better safe than fuckin sorry. Trust your gut
1. VCB article

2. VCB chose to include their ethnic background in the title
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 12:07 AM   #19
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

edit*

read that wrong.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:18 AM   #20
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post

Would you rather have reactive police work, or proactive police work? Srs question; not trying to be flippant

Capturing exits/entrances is quite the deviant, and dare I say, suspicious behaviour... it isn't unreasonable to infer that these guys are up to no good. The police are being diligent in carrying out their mandate, which is to serve and protect the public.

Kinda looking at this from a utilitarian perspective... I'm okay with stigmatizing a few guys to ensure the safety of the general public. They could be innocent, for all we know; but as jonwon so candidly put it... better safe than sorry.

But, man, you're right; this is definitely something to be discussed
Old 01-15-2016, 12:32 AM   #21

There's always gonna be a debate between safety and fear getting the best of everyone and a lot of ppl will argue about making early assumptions or racial profiling but if worse case scenario it was an attack, then what do you tell the people who lost loved ones? Or how would you feel if someone you love was a victim? "Im sorry but we werent cautious enough because we didnt want to look like we were racist or a poor judge of character"

I definitely understand that there are borders that shouldnt be crossed but with the current situation happening around the world i think its justifiable that vancouver is being cautious and vigilant.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
site rule to fail any buzz article linked
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 12:47 AM   #23
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
site rule to fail any buzz article linked
Sorry my bad. I was texted just the picture earlier tonight so I never clicked the link in this thread. Had no idea VCB was even mentioned in here. Failed accordingly
Old 01-15-2016, 01:52 AM   #24
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I'm thinking the guys were casing that particular area of the mall for a possible robbery.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 02:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
I'm thinking the guys were casing that particular area of the mall for a possible robbery.
or...

This post thanked by: