REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Why don't we teach kids the system of society at school?

Ever wondered why we don't teach kids the system of our society at school?
We teach kids Shakespeare/McBeth/Hamlet but not how the society works. I know that these things fall into social studies, but I don't believe school teach anything practical.
I wonder if there are any other countries that teach more practical things at school. Maybe even in Canada, they might already be teaching depending on what kind of school they are, but I don't know.

Here are some subjects that I think should be added. I'm sure I have missed a few, but I think they should add Gr.13 if they can't somehow squeeze these topics within Gr.1-Gr.12 system we have.

Government System - I am not saying kids should be politicians, but school should teach basic political system.
Municipal, Provincial, Federal. How they work and how are they different. How to vote, the difference between Conservative, Liberal, etc.

Law - What's illegal and what's legal. Wiretap law, copyright, the consequence of DUI, shoplifting, dealing drugs, what are your options, what to do when you're arrested under suspicion of something, what if you're convicted, etc. How to file a lawsuit or appeal. Who is Justice of Peace, etc. What does the Crown mean? How they proceed court cases, when can you talk to your lawyer, etc.

Accounting - How to prepare income tax, what are T4, T5, etc. forums, what is CPP contributions, etc. What's tax deductible and what's not. etc. Childcare benefits, etc.

Medical System - BC Care Card, WorkSafe BC, etc. What kind of medical assistants are available, what's covered and what's not, etc.

Insurance/Contract - Auto insurance, real estate insurance. What are comprehensive coverage? What is lien check? How to check history of property, what to look for? Who/where to get your purchase inspected, etc. How to read contract for rent or purchase, etc.

Banking - TSFA, Chequing, Saving, CIG, TSX, NASDAQ, etc. How to save/budget for your living. How to plan for credit cards, what are the basic rules for saving money.etc. How to apply for student loans, etc.

Job - What if you get laid off? How to apply for E.I. How to look for a job? Job interview preparations, basic manners and languages you should be using for interviewers. Difference between union work and non-union work. Auxiliary and permanent employment, employees and contractors, etc.

Emergency - First Aid, CPR, how to prepare for earthquake, basic securities, how to use fire extinguisher, self defense, etc.

DIY/Misc - basic knowledge of how to fix your home, cars, etc.

*Edit - Other things like how to issue your passport, SIN number, get childcare assistance if you're eligible, difference between marriage and common law, etc.
Advertisement

Last edited by Timpo; 01-18-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
...okay, I'll bite.

- Government System is mostly covered in Grade 10~11 Social Studies. You will take it in a few years, don't worry.
- Law is available in some high schools, as an elective.
- Accounting is also available in some high schools, as an elective.
- Medical System information is widely available at Ministry of Health - Province of British Columbia
- Insurance is a scam. But also most kids aren't able to afford anything that would need insurance at the age range you're describing.
- Banking, is widely tied to accounting, and should be up to the parents to teach, not the schools.
- Job. Wtf, seriously? The school has to teach you how to get a job? That sounds like some communist type shit there.
- Emergency procedures you described are all taught in schools under various classes.
- DIY:

I will agree you with that a lot of teenagers aren't ready for adulthood, including many of the areas above.
But that's because of pussy parents who aren't willing to take the time to teach their kids shit.

For any self-motivated person (child or adult), a vast amount of information is widely available readily. You don't need to be spoon-fed information, just go out and get it on your own. It's not something the public education system needs to offer; and if it is, then they're already being taught. You either didn't pay attention, went to a realllly shitty school, or aren't old enough to have gone through it yet.

Spoiler!
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post

Government System - I am not saying kids should be politicians, but school should teach basic political system.
Municipal, Provincial, Federal. How they work and how are they different. How to vote, the difference between Conservative, Liberal, etc.
I only read your first example and determined you don't know what the fuck you are talking about, because I got taught literally all of those things in school.

As for the "How to vote", the process is literally explained on the mail that you get, as well they re-explain it to you when you actually go to vote. It's as simple as checking a box. I have no clue why people make it such a big deal about "being explained how to vote". If you can't figure it out after reading it yourself and being explained it by a person, literally just kill yourself, cause life is WAYY harder than that.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Spoiler!
Sounds To me like what a good parent would teach their child when having conversations around the dinner table.

Oh wait. Families don't talk. Or eat dinner together. Better rely on our shitty school system to do even more parenting for us
Old 01-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Schools already teach most of that stuff ... At least they did 15 years ago
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I agree with timpo and in fact; almost everything you mentioned is actually taught in the public school system. However, you have to select these courses as electives as there really isnt enough time to squeeze everything together. The emergency stuff that you mention is taught in the planning courses/PE courses that I was in. For the other banking/accounting things, I took a few business courses in high school that I found were actually some of the most useful courses since it teaches you about contracts/money planning/taxes/resumes etc. Social studies teaches enough about the government system as well. Honestly, most of that stuff should be mandatory but its not

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I joined revscene in a high school class where the teacher made everyone make a fake stock house account. Much more useful than a haiku or learning iambic pentameter IMO but not part of the curriculum. My username was a bunch of random letters for stock house and nsmb and auto populated for the revscene login and sdubfid was born.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #8

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Man, I really wished they taught me how to use and operate my BC Care Card in high school!

Really though, secondary education and post-secondary education has a world full of practical skills that apply to our day to day societal operations; it's up to you as the student to take out of it what you will.

You can sit there all day reading Hamlet and Shakespear and come onto a forum 10 years later and say "what good did that do for me?" Or you could have spent time and effort into understanding the underlying workings of the language, history and characters in these books and applied them to your personal life.

The stuff you're describing seem like they would be better suited for an immigration workshop. I'm sure they're open to everyone to attend in case you need help with understanding how to get a passport or a SIN #.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #9

Thanked 9,801 Times in 3,898 Posts
I learned some of the financial planning stuff in grade 7
govt stuff in 8th grade (forgot it all)
career planning in planning 10
job and interview...tons of free work shop in college/uni

the law stuff I never learned...I agree with you on that one which shouldn't be an elective but part of a socials studies curriculum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Better rely on our shitty school system to do even more parenting for us
what about those who grew up in an immigrant family? good parenting skills isn't the be-all in this...some of the parents simply don't have this knowledge if they were not raised here.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 01-18-2016 at 08:59 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #10

Thanked 31,133 Times in 7,146 Posts
The thing is although they teach some of that stuff (not most and certainly not all) the average teacher is told to teach for the majority. That means the othe 49% that learn differently grow up being told they are stupid. The school system will fail many until it has the capacity to understand and adapt to different kids learning styles. As long as there are 30+ students and only 1 overworked teacher, consider those that don't fit the mold basically fucked.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #11

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
The real question here is what high school did Timpo attend? You don't seriously believe that most the stuff on your list isn't taught already do you? Maybe things have changed since I attended school but almost every one of those bullet points were offered in one form or another.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
I learnt how to make boxers for meself

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
In HS my friends and I made a World's Scariest Police Chases (John Bunnell style)/Cops video presentation on how to how to file income taxes. This was back in 98 so life lessons were being taught back then.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #14
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

this has be Timpo's all time low or what? a lot of those you've listed is the parents' and individual's own responsibilities. do you actually think a 15 or 16 years old can't figure out how to file a income tax or distinguish the different political parties? give me a break. please go spend a day in high school AP classes and see some of the magic those kids can do.

also, if you have actually read timeless novels like Brave New World, 1984, Fahrenheit 451 you would gain a lot more knowledge about how government and society really work. That fact you stressed "practicality" at the high school level shows how asinine you are. practicality kills creativity. last i checked mozart didn't write symphony 40 because it was a "practical" thing to do or einsten discovering mass possesses energy because is was "practical".
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #15
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Why don't we teach kids the system of society at school?
Why? because our system thrives on debt slaves.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #16

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ok after reading some of your comments, maybe the current school system does teach some of the stuff, but I don't think emphasized enough.

I don't remember learning any of that stuff compare to Calculus, Physics, English, Chemistry, History, Geography, etc...
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2016, 10:30 PM   #17

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
I think your asian parents (and everyone else's asian parents) didn't emphasize that stuff as important in high school because they thought you'd be able to figure it out yourself one day.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:25 PM   #18
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
ok after reading some of your comments, maybe the current school system does teach some of the stuff, but I don't think emphasized enough.

I don't remember learning any of that stuff compare to Calculus, Physics, English, Chemistry, History, Geography, etc...
The ability to fix up your car and home is a great skill to have, and I certainly would not consider those trivial skills at all; however, those skills can be acquired on one's own time. To me, one of the most important goals of an educational system is to shape someone's character so they act honestly and truthfully in tricky situations. Moral value is much harder to attain than solving a physics question where there is always a right answer at the end.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:44 PM   #19

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

what about those who grew up in an immigrant family? good parenting skills isn't the be-all in this...some of the parents simply don't have this knowledge if they were not raised here.
a fair point for sure, and i dont really have a response to it. but it does remind me of something in my highschool days

grade 10 social studies, we were talking about politics, and more specifically local ridings. teacher asks the class who would we vote for if we were of age, and about 90% of the class said Raymond Chan. when the teacher asked why, 100% of that 90% said "well, he is Chinese, and we expect one of our own to take care of us". for what its worth i went to Richmond High.

has no point, and doesn't contribute to this conversation. just a memory that surfaced with all this highschool socials talk
Old 01-19-2016, 12:01 AM   #20
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
they teach the majority of whats in your list... except for accounting/banking/financing (same thing really), and they really should teach that at school, maybe not all the financial formulas etc, but an understanding of looking after ones own finances, the credit system, etc
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #21

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Basic finance & accounting with maybe an intro to investment should definitely be part of the high school curriculum.

The problem with saying that it's the "parents' responsibility" to teach that stuff, is that so many parents are so shitty at it or know so little about it themselves that they should not be teaching anyone.

A set curriculum would at least give most kids a good starting point.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
Why? because our system thrives on debt slaves.
sure with that mentality you will be.

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #23

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Basic finance & accounting with maybe an intro to investment should definitely be part of the high school curriculum.
IMO investment has to be learned first hand. You cannot simulate the roller coaster ride of losing half your net worth in a bad day with monopoly money. I still remember when we did this for a class, kids just picked penny stocks and it's go big or go home. You can't teach children to think long term when that investment session ends in a week. It was a big waste of time.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #24

Thanked 3,486 Times in 1,686 Posts
Hey Timpo, you cannot put the onus on the school to teach all those things about society. It is the parent's responsibility, and also on the kid as they grow up in life, to teach and learn these important things.

I think this thread, if anything, highlights a gap in the things that some parents do not teach their children.

For example, I see parents give an iPad Air, not the older models to their kids because it's too heavy for them to hold, to their three year old kids so that they can learn how to use computers. Those kids just play their games on that tablet non stop when I see them at restaurants. That kid has a big chance of wearing glasses by the time he is a teen.

Are parents teaching their kids the wrong things at the wrong time like this iPad example?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #25
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
People learn about society by being part of it.

Also, if you have to be taught how to live in a certain society, that society is probably under full control by whoever is doing the teaching.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: