REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Parker Place Easylink Communications phone plan "scam" (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707229-parker-place-easylink-communications-phone-plan-scam.html)

Xu.Vi 01-19-2016 05:06 PM

Parker Place Easylink Communications phone plan "scam"

Not one to put things online...but I'd like to bring awareness to those who have been scammed to immediately go into their branch and request a refund.

I recently messaged an individual on SFU textbook trade page on Facebook that claimed to have a friend who works with an authorized Telus/Koodo dealer (actually turned out to be the manager) which is offering a 5GIG cellular data plan for $65. It was claimed that this plan is a 2 year contract agreement and I would be billed $15 for each remainder month if I had canceled the plan. Additionally, it was brought to my attention that this plan could be offered at such discounted rate because I am essentially forfeiting a new cellphone for a “better plan”.

After a few text message exchanges with someone named Jeffrey Uy, he then sent me to his manager/friend Chris at the Easylink Communications located in Parker Place (looks exactly like a Telus -- imagine the fake Apple stores in China..but shittier). Once I visited the retailer and spoke with Chris, he went over the contract agreement and provided me with two sheets of paper that shows 1) my add-ons (page 2/4 labeled on the bottom) and 2) the important terms (page ¾). Additionally, I was given another “contract agreement” to sign which essentially indicated my responsibility to pay any monthly charges which included tab charges (which at the time, I thought...sure, I'm doing BYOP anyway). At this point I was a bit skeptical about the whole ordeal as I had never been required to sign some dinky "promotional agreement" with such terms. But hey, 5GIG for $65 and i'm at an authorized dealer what could have gone wrong?

What I had realized later was that they didn’t provide me with the first page showing that I had actually signed up for a Motorola X Play and the receipt for it as well. It was only until the next day had I checked online on Koodo’s self-service website that the associate Chris signed me up for a Saskatchewan plan ($48, 5GIG) and put a $360 tab (they basically billed $360 dollars onto my account) on it as well.

I immediately went into the retailer two days later and spoke with Chris, which he then passed over his cellphone to speak to his friend Jeffrey Uy. I had questioned as to why there was a tab of $360 in my account and why self-service stated I was on a $48 plan, yet was informed my plan costed $65. After some chatting with Jeffery over the phone, he brought in the cellphone to the branch and did a full reversal. I also requested back for the receipts and the "contract" I had signed -- which they provided as well.

I presume that these two individuals attempted to mislead me by stating the plan is a "promotional" $65 cellular plan in order for them to cover up the tab charges ($48 Saskatchewan plan + $15 monthly tab charges). This then enables them to take the MOTO X for their own benefits.

Regardless...yes, it is still a cheap plan but if Koodo were to find out about this and canceled my services, I'd be left with a giant tab fee as well. They claimed that I was their first person to be scammed by them but it definitely didn't seem like it as they were quite competent and well planned. My only motive for this post is to bring awareness to anyone else who may have also signed up for this. If you were unfortunate enough, I highly urge you to personally go into their branch and demand a refund.

ilvtofu 01-19-2016 06:21 PM

Did you report this to Telus/Koodo? Not sure if they'd really do anything though. Also did you double check that they really did cancel the activation etc.?

Heard lots of stories like this from customers when I worked at Rogers/Fido regarding authorized dealers. The company never seemed to keen to do anything about it and dealers shouldn't be activating on SK plans regardless of tab or no tab. Another common thing dealers did was activate 18 year olds on AB plans because they weren't old enough to sign a 2yr contract in BC. After it's all activated they port back in a BC phone # and it looks to be all well and good until you try to make any changes on the account and realized the account has been flagged/locked and you can't even get the customer a new sim card to replace the one they lost.

320icar 01-19-2016 06:23 PM

Parker place lol. Could have stopped the post there.

I suggest you email 'steel on your side' or equivalent and get a news station behind it. I'm glad it worked out for you by clearly they have scammed people before and will absolutely continue to

tiger_handheld 01-19-2016 08:16 PM

What a useful thread. Know exactly where to avoid when shopping for cell phone.

This should be sticked as - "how to write a negative review of a business" so other noobs can follow.

BRAVO, OP...BRAVO!

Razor Ramon HG 01-19-2016 08:42 PM

Just get the Koodo $48 plan yourself. There's a thread in the mobile section. Don't bother with shady dealership fucks.

I remember Ken Mak at the Rogers (dealership) in front of T&T at Metrotown trying to scam one of my friends.

hypediss 01-19-2016 08:50 PM

Report this to TELUS or Koodo, this would at least bring this matter to the appropriate channels and have the dealer dealt with. This type of behaviour should be discouraged.

Xu.Vi 01-19-2016 09:04 PM

From what I see, it's a group of young kids that aren't aware of the consequences. Koodo's fraud department will be contacting me by phone this week. Part of me says no but knowing that there are others out there that likely fell for the same thing...mmm.

I also have screenshots and photos of pretty much everything they've done, although, I don't think it's necessary to upload it yet -- don't want people reporting to their deans just yet :troll:

In reply to tofu, I did a direct number port to Fido, I'll assume it has as.
320i: maybe I will send an email linking to this thread
Hardgay: I'd rather have stuck with a BC plan, which in the end turned out not to be. Lol.

Ludepower 01-19-2016 09:10 PM

$360 charged to your bill.
Did they think you wouldnt notice? I dont get what they're trying to pull here

Xu.Vi 01-19-2016 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8718749)
$360 charged to your bill.
Did they think you wouldnt notice? I dont get what they're trying to pull here

Actually, I wouldn't have noticed because this $360 is deducted over the span of 2 years. That's about 15 dollars added ontop of the initial $48 SK plan which adds up to their claimed $65. I found out after logging online and noticing my plan was only $48. It didn't add up so the only possibility is if they added some form of warranty or phone tab to it as well.

So, as long as I didn't check my online account and continued to have service provided to me + be billed $65 on my CC (automated monthly charges), I wouldn't have any suspicion I'm actually paying out their MOTO X monthly ($15/m) ontop of the plan.

Xu.Vi 01-19-2016 09:49 PM

https://i.imgur.com/X8MIZAE.png

Razor Ramon HG 01-19-2016 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xu.Vi (Post 8718771)

Lol, someone tipped him off

Cwift 01-19-2016 10:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
:considered::suspicious:

Armind 01-19-2016 10:25 PM

PJSalt

Not really racist! 01-19-2016 10:48 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/iDJuQR0UmiqOI/giphy.gif

inb4 report him to his dean

Ducdesmo 01-20-2016 07:47 AM

Report their assess!

Verdasco 01-20-2016 01:10 PM

DIS IS GUNNA BE GOOD

http://i.imgur.com/46L5F94.gif

Xu.Vi 01-20-2016 01:36 PM

I don't expect this thread to go into further depth than this, unless there's an explanation by Chris and/or Jeffrey that I am unaware of. Anything related to corporate won't be going outside. This is merely for warning others who may have gotten lured as well.

Don't get me wrong, I was offered to be compensated for my troubles -- which I asked the manager to give me a number, he said he wasn't sure if I wanted $100 or $1,000 to keep my mouth shut. I agreed to $1,000 for shits. Later on his co-worker offered to compensate for my prepaid plan I had initially which needed to be canceled, my usage for the past 3 days on their plan and gas which comes out to roughly $160. Happily denied as it would be a dick move to be compensated and still inform the public.

you! 01-20-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xu.Vi (Post 8718932)
I don't expect this thread to go into further depth than this, unless there's an explanation by Chris and/or Jeffrey that I am unaware of. Anything related to corporate won't be going outside. This is merely for warning others who may have gotten lured as well.

Don't get me wrong, I was offered to be compensated for my troubles -- which I asked the manager to give me a number, he said he wasn't sure if I wanted $100 or $1,000 to keep my mouth shut. I agreed to $1,000 for shits. Later on his co-worker offered to compensate for my prepaid plan I had initially which needed to be canceled, my usage for the past 3 days on their plan and gas which comes out to roughly $160. Happily denied as it would be a dick move to be compensated and still inform the public.

lol sounds like they had full intentions of scamming u if they were offering "compensation to keep ur mouth shut"

i don't know why ur holding back, the fact that they tried to scam you + the jeff guy reading this entire thread without a response totally sounds like they don't even feel bad at all for putting u thru all this bs

Cwift 01-20-2016 02:18 PM

Man, these guys are just seriously trying to put on some band aids for their wrongs. Being scammed personally, along with friends that I know of, it really is the worse feeling ever, and they need to be taught that what they're doing/done is wrong. Need to "teach them a lesson" with what they're doing is wrong, because from what you have said, it looks like you aren't the first victim. Plus them messaging you and trying to "make it all better" under the table doesn't look good on their end either, lol. "jeffuy69/88" whoever he/they are, were on this thread all night yesterday, and they don't wanna respond, thinking that they can get away from it by compensating you money.

spoon.ek9 01-20-2016 04:46 PM

Ok two things:

1. I challenge the retailer to sell their side of the story. If there's a valid explanation for all of this, great. If not, well..

2. OP it would be helpful for you to post any documents (leaving out sensitive information obviously) as well as some kind of proof this "compensation" package was offered. If it's just by spoken word, it's merely hearsay and cannot be proven as more than an allegation by you.

Either way:

https://49.media.tumblr.com/cde20fc2...my1wo1_250.gif

http://i.imgur.com/IN7zbVB.gif

:badpokerface:

Verdasco 01-20-2016 05:33 PM

if koodo/telus gets involved with this, i am sure there will be major consequences.... legally...

good luck OP!

twitchyzero 01-20-2016 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xu.Vi (Post 8718932)
Don't get me wrong, I was offered to be compensated for my troubles -- which I asked the manager to give me a number, he said he wasn't sure if I wanted $100 or $1,000 to keep my mouth shut.

blank cheque doe :yuno::ahwow:

Xu.Vi 01-20-2016 05:56 PM

Alright, I'll bite only because ek9 spoke lol.

Spoiler!

AstulzerRZD 01-20-2016 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xu.Vi (Post 8719004)
Alright, I'll bite only because ek9 spoke lol.

Spoiler!

I'm a little bit confused.. the 1st text message says that you're getting the Saskatchewan deal since you're not getting the phone from the contract. If this was clearly stated and you agreed to the $65 dollar price by going into the store, I don't see what the problem is

:suspicious:

Xu.Vi 01-20-2016 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD (Post 8719007)
I'm a little bit confused.. the 1st text message says that you're getting the Saskatchewan deal since you're not getting the phone from the contract. If this was clearly stated and you agreed to the $65 dollar price by going into the store, I don't see what the problem is

:suspicious:

I don't see Saskatchewan mentioned anywhere. it was stated that because I am forfeiting a cellphone, they are able to offer me more cellular data. If I wanted a phone, I'd only have about 1gig's worth. I had no idea that forfeiting a cellphone literally meant forfeiting a cellphone for them to keep lol.