REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Inexpensive Coilovers for Golf

So I've been looking for a set of coilovers for my mkiv GTI, but since I am on a tight budget I am wondering if it's even worth it to go with cheaper coilovers since our dollar is so shit right now. I know PG performance offers JOM Bluelines and the guys say that the people who have bought it are very happy with them. Is it safe to buy cheaper coils or will they just be complete shit?

I won't be taking my car to the track at all so there's no real racing. I only really push my car occasionally when the streets are empty late at nights. Will the cheaper coils be good enough for this? Essentially I want to lower my car for the looks and to reduce the body roll that comes from the stock suspension.

Any suggestions on what to do or brands of coils to go with would be awesome. I've done some research and it seems like for every good review there's also bad ones for any coil.

Thanks
Advertisement
Hooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
can't give any actual coil advice, but you get what you pay for so don't cheap out
Old 01-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Inb4 racelands

(I had them on my Miata and loved it. But that was before they got popular and raised the prices)
Old 01-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
My buddy has JOM's on his MKII Jetta and they are fine for cheap(ish) coilovers. They can be a bit harsh over bumps but that's because the dampening is shit because they are cheap coilovers. Shitty dampening can also cause unpredicability in cornering. They will do fine for the result you are looking for though.

You really do get what you pay for in this category.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Well how about 1 step up to Solo werks or or anything else in the 500USD range?
Old 01-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
JOM & FK

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I was thinking of Solo Werks S1 (500USD), FK streetline (500USD), or CX Racing coilover (575 USD). CX Racing is dampening adjustable but is it really worth the price difference?

Are these really worth the difference in price with the JOMs that are 400 USD (free shipping)?
Old 01-20-2016, 10:45 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
You either pay to have decent coilovers if you care even the slightly about its handling.

If you don't just get any of the stance nation crap

For couple hundred bucks I would hack your existing oem setup till you actually have money to do some proper coilovers. Free if you are mechanically incline, save you couple hundred bucks. Keep saving couples hundred bucks here and there and than do it right once.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:01 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Raceland
Coilovers
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:08 AM   #10
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Or, if you don't care about on-the-fly height adjusting, you can pick up a set of Koni Yellow's and some springs to wrap around 'em. I'm partial to Eibach Sportline, but there are a zillion brands with as many spring ratios variations out there.

Also, if you want to stiffen up body roll, look into sway bars. Suspension adjustments can only do so much and, at that price point, you may be better off looking at other tweaks.

Edit: I've had a set of FK coilovers on one of my old GTI's in the past. They were decent enough, considering the price. Think you can pick up a set for an MK4 for relatively cheap these days.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
I actually have Raceland Ultimos on the GF's Mazda 3. Bought them because they were cheap, and the OEM struts were completely destroyed (bounces like 3+ times everytime you go over a small dip). They're pretty damn stiff, nothing unbearable but definitely not comfortable. GF doesn't seem to mind it, they also go realy low. Didn't max it out but it was almost maxed out low when I put it on just to see how it sits, the tires were hitting the fenders when the wheels were straight lol. It definitely helped a ton with body roll, and goes low. If you don't mind a stiff ride, you could consider them. Got them a few months back for like $500cad new shipped.

On the other hand, I have Eibach Sportlines on my e92 and I love them. On stock struts right now but they're just a bit stiffer than stock, still very comfy

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I know a few Honda guys running Raceland and they're happy with it. I had a set on my del sol and it was dumped, felt like stock. My buddy has the ultimos on his rsx for over 2 years now and they still feel the same as when he put them in. Not bad for like $450 cad
Old 01-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,719 Times in 890 Posts
Where are you guys getting jom or fk? I only see eBay and they are coming from Germany. any place closer?
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote