REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:37 AM   #26
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Let's see...

Their web page looks like garbage and is infested with ads.

Every article reads like it was written by an unpaid communications student from BCIT.

The "journalism" (okay, I know they're actually bloggers) in the body of articles barely qualifies as content. You're better off reading the headline than wasting your time trying to decipher the poor English and surface-level analyses.

Again, stolen content.

They regularly post advertisements masquerading as actual articles. Anyone with a brain knows that these have been paid for.

They regularly post racially-charged articles whose only purpose seems to be to generate controversy (read: traffic) and incite racism in the comments section.

The only things of value on this site are maybe the posts on new restaurants or events and even then I would just read the headline and look elsewhere for the details.
Advertisement

Last edited by buhdeh; 01-21-2016 at 08:47 AM.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #27
VLS Barista Brat

Great article about why people hate Vancity Buzz so much here: Vancity Buzz wants to be better | CANADALAND

It's worth a read.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
I think Eff-1 has it right about Vancity Buzz.

I don't see many differences between traditional media sources and sites like Vancity Buzz. Anyone who knows anything about the communications and marketing industries knows that newspapers have long been willing to cover a product launch, restaurant, or service if it attracts readership. Sites like Vancity Buzz are just the reflection of the changing media business model, which in turn has merely evolved.

Most of the content on that site is poor, but there are a few snippets and stories they break before anyone else does. For example, they clearly have a relationship with Translink and are able to present information about station renovations, etc before any mainstream media outlet is able to.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #29
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
Great article about why people hate Vancity Buzz so much here: Vancity Buzz wants to be better | CANADALAND

It's worth a read.
Worth a read, but also consider the publication while reading it.

Quote:
38]
"CANADALAND is a news site and podcast network funded by its audience. Our primary focus is on ​media criticism and media reporting. "
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #30
Fanboy

You might as well cite "The coffee news" as your source.

You know, that crap printed on recycled paper that has useless information on it.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #31
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,227 Posts
I'm surprised the couple of RS members who write for Vancity Buzz haven't chimed in yet on this bitchfest.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #32
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
I'm surprised the couple of RS members who write for Vancity Buzz haven't chimed in yet on this bitchfest.
Oh damn, not until I make some fresh popcorn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #33
Need to Seek Professional Help

What is an alternate to that site though?
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #34
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhari View Post
Local events miss604.com
604now.com

I come on RS or news1130 for my local news so I'm sure there's probably other local blogs out there.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #35
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Local events Vancouver Blog Miss604 » Vancouver Blog Miss604
604 Now - Everything about Vancouver - News, Events, Food, Concerts

I come on RS or news1130 for my local news so I'm sure there's probably other local blogs out there.
Not to defend VancityBuzz at risk of losing my head but looking these sites here are the some of the top articles:

"5 things Vancouver does better than any city"
"5 Vancouver desserts you must eat in 2016"
"10 Vintage Vancouver Coffee Shop Photos"

Suffice to say, they ALL suffer from having graduates on staff from the Buzzfeed School of Journalism.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #36
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You might as well cite "The coffee news" as your source.

You know, that crap printed on recycled paper that has useless information on it.
that's actually hilarious. Ive always thought that was the biggest waste of time ever. absolutely no content
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #37
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhari View Post
Bingo. The fact many people have can't even name another site for news and information is why Vancity Buzz is successful. It's a reflection of the new generation who spends all day online and on Facebook.

Consider these Facebook audiences:

Revscene - 1800
Vancouver Sun - 76,000
Province - 50,000
CBC Vancouver - 160,000
Vancity Buzz - 265,000

It's not easy to get an social audience of that size.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #38
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,798 Times in 981 Posts
^ well, there are a lot of idiots out there.. so that isn't surprising at all.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #39
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Bingo. The fact many people have can't even name another site for news and information is why Vancity Buzz is successful. It's a reflection of the new generation who spends all day online and on Facebook.

Consider these Facebook audiences:

Revscene - 1800
Vancouver Sun - 76,000
Province - 50,000
CBC Vancouver - 160,000
Vancity Buzz - 265,000

It's not easy to get an social audience of that size.
I wouldn't consider that impressive compared to our local resident members page;

https://www.facebook.com/MarcelLechPhotography/?fref=nf

As a brand VCB is big in Vancouver and that's about it. I don't know how much money that would bring in if they decided to sell and the only major local media player that might be interested is Postmedia but they're going through major budget cuts so unless VCB expands beyond Vancouver they probably won't be cashing out any time soon.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #40
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
I wouldn't consider that impressive compared to our local resident members page;

https://www.facebook.com/MarcelLechPhotography/?fref=nf

As a brand VCB is big in Vancouver and that's about it. I don't know how much money that would bring in if they decided to sell and the only major local media player that might be interested is Postmedia but they're going through major budget cuts so unless VCB expands beyond Vancouver they probably won't be cashing out any time soon.
I'm comparing local media to local media. My point was more about the fact the Vancouver Sun, one of Vancouver's flagship media outlets, barely has 30% the reach on Facebook as Vancity Buzz.

2M likes is no small feat and props to him. It helps when your subject matter is completely different and your audience isn't limited to any one region.

Potential buyers might be anyone from Torstar, Postmedia, Rogers, Glacier, Corus, MSN, AOL... Who knows.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:11 PM   #41

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
The only reason I am subjected to VSB articles is by fucking idiots who keep posting them on here (which I promptly throw up a fail fore), and dumbasses on my FB newsfeed who I promptly unfollow.

EFF-1 are you kidding? An alternative to VSB? How about any fucking news station, news1130, CTV, Global, province, the sun, the list goes on and on with real news stations that cover this city. There is even free newspapers like 24 and metro.

You can get real news anywhere, and you don't need to subject yourself to the non-sense of VSB. Breaking news is most quickly captured by real news outlets, and if by sheer luck an event is first captured by VSB (like the earthquake recently), it usually has no more useful information than my FB of people chiming in. They usually update their article after a real news outlet posts information about the event.

That's what you fail to realize, VSB has no access to stuff like the news outlets, the news outlets have seismology people who feed them information, they run weather stations through parent companies, etc. VSB does none of that shit. All they do is throw out click bait style articles which gather more hits from the stupid highschool aged fucks who don't know anything.

/rant over.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #42
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
yeah the writing sucks, there's a lot of shitty content, but for me it's because of the way they handled the pacific centre news story about the "middle eastern" looking men who were taking pictures. They leaked photos of the suspects from an internal memo in the VPD, in exchange for more clicks. Just a crazy scummy thing to do and could have ruined those guys for life (turned out they were innocent).
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #43
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
The only reason I am subjected to VSB articles is by fucking idiots who keep posting them on here (which I promptly throw up a fail fore), and dumbasses on my FB newsfeed who I promptly unfollow.

EFF-1 are you kidding? An alternative to VSB? How about any fucking news station, news1130, CTV, Global, province, the sun, the list goes on and on with real news stations that cover this city. There is even free newspapers like 24 and metro.

You can get real news anywhere, and you don't need to subject yourself to the non-sense of VSB. Breaking news is most quickly captured by real news outlets, and if by sheer luck an event is first captured by VSB (like the earthquake recently), it usually has no more useful information than my FB of people chiming in. They usually update their article after a real news outlet posts information about the event.

That's what you fail to realize, VSB has no access to stuff like the news outlets, the news outlets have seismology people who feed them information, they run weather stations through parent companies, etc. VSB does none of that shit. All they do is throw out click bait style articles which gather more hits from the stupid highschool aged fucks who don't know anything.

/rant over.
Why you hating on VSB bro?

Spoiler!
Old 01-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #44
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Why you hating on VSB bro?

Spoiler!

It's a reference to van shitty buzz
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #45
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
It's a reference to van shitty buzz

I didn't read the whole thread, thanks
Old 01-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #46
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Quote:
but for the social media crowd...vancity buzz headlines is the first thing they will see when it comes to a new store opening in town etc...not actual news unless it's something really unique (catfe) or big (nordstrom). If i'm interested in the topic i'll google the keyword...so as much as I'm annoyed by it there's still some purpose for its existence.

Do they also own Victoria buzz?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #47
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Timely article on this topic: Could Vancity Buzz ever dethrone the Vancouver Sun? - Vancouver Magazine

VanCity Buzz is a reflection of the changing media landscape.

I personally think it is also a reflection of our society. We want the headline, the details in 140 characters or less. We want to consume information quickly and then move onto something else. Outlets like VCB provides that. Look at their comments section and you'll get a fairly good indication of the type of people it appeals to.

There are a lot of good reporters who will be bought in the coming days by Post Media locally. That's a shame, but that reflects that chaging landscape and how people consume information and from what outlets regardless of how informative it is.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:58 PM   #48
private modder

Quote:
Huh? Where did I ever say there are no alternatives?

I don't fail to realize anything. A lot of what you said about VCB's standards is true. All I'm saying is their formula works for a lot of people. Meanwhile Postmedia and CTV (2 of the "real" news stations) continue to lose audiences, ad revenues, and are cutting jobs. But ok, Vancity Buzz doesn't have a weather balloon, i'll give you that.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:52 AM   #49

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Huh? Where did I ever say there are no alternatives?

I don't fail to realize anything. A lot of what you said about VCB's standards is true. All I'm saying is their formula works for a lot of people. Meanwhile Postmedia and CTV (2 of the "real" news stations) continue to lose audiences, ad revenues, and are cutting jobs. But ok, Vancity Buzz doesn't have a weather balloon, i'll give you that.
I just got confused on the above post which asked for alternatives, and you agreed with his comment.

I'll concede VSB works for a lot of people, but I'll be the first to tell you how many people border on being full blown retard. So the fact that it works for a lot of people is not really helpful to those of us who have an IQ larger than that of a cinder block.

As louis CK said: Just think how stupid the average person is, and then consider that 50% of people are stupider than that.

Just like how we protect our kids from Peanuts when they are allergic, I feel the compulsive need to protect our stupid population from crappy news outlets like VSB.

But then again maybe I should just approach it with this philosophy:

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:04 AM   #50
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
^ the problem is that a nut allergy can only really have a negative impact on the person with the allergy, people reading misinformation from VCB could potentially affect their vote in an election for example.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote