REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Renting parking spots (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707354-renting-parking-spots.html)

RuffleCopterz 01-27-2016 05:59 PM

Renting parking spots

What should I be weary of/watch for? Do I asked for a signed agreement and pay in cash? Looking to buy a parking spot near VGH area and been looking on craigslist

kkttsang 01-27-2016 06:26 PM

R u looking to buy or rent?

godwin 01-27-2016 06:50 PM

Talk to your lawyer? It depends on what land it is sitting on etc.. titled etc? If it is in an apartment complex, have you read the bylaws?

RuffleCopterz 01-27-2016 07:53 PM

Sorry I mean rent

Energy 01-27-2016 08:02 PM

I rent a parking spot downtown because of work. I've had some owners ask for an agreement and others are fine with just a verbal agreement. The spot I am currently renting is just by verbal agreement and that works just fine.

kkttsang 01-27-2016 08:06 PM

I'm renting by vgh, our spots are rented by the property manager. He had us sign an agreement every year.It's in the alley between 12 and 13 by oak. 75$/month. The lady beside me who is renting right now she is not needing the spot. Pm me if interested and I can ask her for you. Are you working at vgh?

Ikkaku 01-27-2016 11:18 PM

Best bet if you are looking to rent from an apartment or commercial building is to inquire with the property manager or caretaker of the building. Some buildings have parking stalls that are not assigned to a strata unit, so those are open for either unit owners or outside people to rent.

Nlkko 01-28-2016 05:06 PM

One thing would be to check out the cleanliness of the spot. If there are stuffs spilled there make sure to document and noted by both parties. Sometimes shits from other stalls spilling into yours and there are clause that would have you arranged to have it cleaned.

Does it have other properties on it? Some lot has a bike stall to go with.

Well lit? Secured? Yes, these things matter. Check all those.

4444 01-28-2016 11:47 PM

get it in writing.

verbal agreements can be absolutely fine, but why risk it (especially if you have no relationship with the person, i.e. craigslist find).

Selanne_200 01-29-2016 07:04 PM

Likes others have said, best to check with the building manager since at the end of the day, they are the ones who will/will not be enforcing the parking rules.

As a side note, I was recently told that when condo owners get a parking stall, they do not own the stall but rather an exclusive rights to use it, so whether or not they can sublet the stall out will be another story.