REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #1
I bringith the lowerballerith

Who has right of way?

When you are driving and about to make a right turn and a bicycle is also coming up behind you on your right side, passing cars(no bike lane), do I have to wait for the bicycle to pass by even though I was there first and signaled?

Got the death stare for creeping the turn and semi blocking the guys way but I cant help but think i would have the right of way 100%, especially when there is no bike lane/yield sign.
Advertisement
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If you want to be safe...and knowing how many cyclists refuse to obey most traffic laws...including passing a vehicle on the right while it is turning right....wait for the idiot to illegally pass you and be safe.

Pasing on the right
158 (1) The driver of a vehicle must not cause or permit the vehicle to overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle, except

(a) when the vehicle overtaken is making a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn,
(b) when on a laned roadway there is one or more than one unobstructed lane on the side of the roadway on which the driver is permitted to drive, or
(c) on a one way street or a highway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and is of sufficient width for 2 or more lanes of moving vehicles.
(2) Despite subsection (1), a driver of a vehicle must not cause the vehicle to overtake and pass another vehicle on the right
(a) when the movement cannot be made safely, or
(b) by driving the vehicle off the roadway.

If they are riding to the right of the fog line then they are off the "roadway>...and in any case it cannot "be made safely"

I teach my students to move to within a metre of the curb on a right hand turn. This discourages most cylists. I also teach them to do a last second righht blind spot check before starting the turn for this very reason.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: