REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-10-2016, 03:49 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Any experience with early non-turbo 996?

Found a pretty mint Porsche 996 C2 with GT3 body kit to replace my SLK and S. Car has an autobox and has 88,000km on it, everything seems fine. I wonder how a Porsche as a daily driver in the city?
Advertisement
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:29 AM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
I think it's fair for me to comment on this one as I own a late model 996 (as of the time of this post.) More precisely, it's a final model year 04 996 C2 coupe.

I can't comment on the kit for the 996. Some cars rolled off the assembly line where customers ordered a factory aero kit. While it did not look exactly like a GT3, it looked great, so check to see if it is an authentic kit or not. If not, you may be in a world of hurt, but of course, only you can decide and we all know hindsight is 20/20.

The autobox is fine and the gearing on the 996 was meant to be daily driven. If I recall correctly, you are in China/HK? (Sorry, I'm not 100% sure.) I find the 996, regardless of model year, is a civilized daily driver in a lot of regards. It wont' be as cushy as your SLK and S cars because deep down inside, it's still a Porsche and it can, and will want to behave like one, but only when you want to. Most of them should have all the modern comfort creature features to appeal to most people, like working AC, power windows, and whatnot.

I would certainly forgo all the details of doing a pre-purchase inspection and make sure the suspension and routine maintenance items are up to snuff. The oil should be changed once a year at the very least.

A lot of people freak out and bash the 996 over the dreaded IMS issue. My personal opinion is that it is highly misunderstood and over sensationalized thanks to armchair engineers and Internet brigade hero types. When I get another 996 or 997 (and I will) I probably wouldn't care if the IMS has been upgraded as long as the oil was changed regularly. In your case, at 88,000KM, the mileage is so low, I wouldn't hesitate at all.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another 996 as a daily driver. I'm really going to miss mine, which will be handed over to the new owners in a few hours. If you're thinking about one, go for it.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 02-10-2016 at 05:34 AM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:52 AM   #3

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Friend of mine in HK bought an auto C4S, I think with 50k mileage. Local HK car.

All is good except the auto box is so slow, there's time to revmatch between gears. I say go with the stick.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
What bcrdukes said

The early car factory aero kit it my fav - love the taco wing. If you can get a peek at the option sticker under the frunk lid you'll be able to determine if the kit is factory added. Note, many were installed by dealers before delivery - just because the option code isn't there doesn't mean it isn't up to OEM quality.

PPI will undoubtedly pay for itself by giving you more price negotiation points. OEM Parts are expensive. Maintenance history is of course super valuable.

Can't speak to the auto - I've never driven one.

rennlist and especially renntech (if you're a bit of a wrencher yourself) are far more valuable resources than 6speedonline if you're looking for technical info.

These cars are great dailys. Heat and AC when you need them, comfortable ride. Visibility in my cab is not great - but I don't feel that way when I ride in coupes. The taco wing will restrict vis though for sure.

As always - look at at least 3 different ones to get a feel for what they're like. I never think a single example tells you everything you need to know about a car.

Good luck,

(congrats on the sale bcr - I passed on your ad to a couple of people, but they weren't quite ready. Glad to see the market for the premium cars is alive and well)
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2016, 04:04 AM   #6

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Just checked it out with my wife...she doesn't like it, she finds the dark grey + orange RS rims ugly. Suspension is great for her as she complains day and night about my BC coilover is stupid. A/C seems weak, it was too dark to check out the rest.

1998 Porsche C2 auto, 88000km, grey/black, GT3RS wannabe body, orange GT3RS rims
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote