REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Urgent Help needed! License Suspended (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707588-urgent-help-needed-license-suspended.html)

wilderoad 02-11-2016 11:42 PM

Urgent Help needed! License Suspended

Hey guys, I am really freaking out right now and need some advice.
So Feb last year I got a "driving contrary to restriction" ticket for no L on my ex's car. It was a stupid mistake and I paid my ticket asap.
Fast forward a year of safe driving until last January where I got another "contrary to restrictions" ticket for not having my N on my moms car. My car broke down on the island and then got impounded a few weeks before. I lost my car and sticker so I wasn't driving while I saved up for a new car. I just had super bad luck that month (wife left for someeone else, car died, impound fees etc). I paid that ticket a couple weeks ago.
So a couple days ago I got a letter saying I am suspended for 3 months. It was quite the shock as I didn't know about the points system. But it definitely taught me a valuable lesson and am prepared for the 3 months.
But this is where it gets interesting. They wrote the suspension letter on Feb 4th, which just so happens to be the same day I got a speeding ticket. I recently got an old BMW and got pulled over at 1am on the 4th for going about 25 over the limit. The car was new to me - I literaly got it like 4 days before. I was driving home after riving a friend home (she texted me asking for a ride after I already gone to bed, being nice doesn't always pay off lol), I was tired, and will admit I was excited driving the new car. It took me a few days to realize that the speedo in the car was off so I didn't know what my speed actually was. I explained that to the cop which made him write the ticket for the cheapest amount ($138)

Im guessing if I pay this ticket right now they will review my license again and basically add on another 6, 9, 12 etc months onto my 3 month suspension. Will I get another letter telling me that or will I find out after the 3 months? I would like to write an appeal letter explains my situation and that I'm sorry and it taught me a lot.
Second option is should I try disputing this ticket? It would leave my 3 months as is but chances are Id get another suspension after the court if I lose. But if I win or the cop doesn't show then I will be fine. I know it doesn't look good on my part, but they were honest mistakes, would I have any chance of winning the dispute?
Sorry the the long post.
Any advice on which route/what my chances are is very appreciated!
Thank you

320icar 02-12-2016 12:26 AM

are you suuuuuuure you only had two "failure to display L or N" tickets to get suspended? i dont believe that.

Marshall Placid 02-12-2016 12:29 AM

You'd think that having made the same mistake twice, you would learn.

Strike one.
Strike two.
Now, strike three...

Here is some advice:

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...et-your-N.aspx

Pick up a free, N sticker.

A quick drive to your local ICBC centre.

Oh, just read the link again... if you could not drive to one..., you could actually PRINT A TEMPORARY ONE OUT!

bluejays 02-12-2016 12:49 AM

Not sure how you didn't know the suspension letter was coming. Now youre stuck paying 9 driver premium points for the next 3 years lol

BoostedBB6 02-12-2016 06:32 AM

Sorry to hear of all the crap happening to you at the same time however the tickets are all yours to own.
Chances are they will review thanks to the new ticket and add more time onto the suspension (and it sounds like its rather warranted as you seem to have trouble following the rules of the road).

Best of luck.

FYI, if a "friend" calls you at 1am for a ride thats called the "friend zone" and is the time you need to go back to sleep.

wilderoad 02-12-2016 09:15 AM

Thanks. I already know of all my mistakes and that I was stupid. I'm going to take the hit no matter what, and learn from it. My main questions are will I get a another notice after I pay this ticket? That would give me a chance to write an appeal letter to hopefully bring the time down. And are my chances of disputing it worth the risk of just getting suspended in a year or so? Basically what would you guys do haha

Urrtoast 02-12-2016 10:04 AM

I think you need to be more aware of the rules.
3strikes should be 1yr no licenece seeing as your coming from a L and N and have not even been driving a year with out a violation.
Playing stupid is no excuss.
IMHO

bluejays 02-12-2016 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilderoad (Post 8726415)
Thanks. I already know of all my mistakes and that I was stupid. I'm going to take the hit no matter what, and learn from it. My main questions are will I get a another notice after I pay this ticket? That would give me a chance to write an appeal letter to hopefully bring the time down. And are my chances of disputing it worth the risk of just getting suspended in a year or so? Basically what would you guys do haha

Get a bus pass

BoostedBB6 02-12-2016 10:50 AM

They will not accept an appeal with the number of violations and the addition of another violation on top of the already existing suspension.

As for the reason for 25 over being your speedo is not accurate, the response they will give you is that it is 100% your responsibility to make sure your vehicle is properly maintained. Not to mention, if it was 25 off you would be hard pressed not to notice this as you doing 75 when everyone else is doing 50 is kind of hard to miss......

Best advice, like bluejays said, get a bus pass.

meme405 02-12-2016 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8726384)
FYI, if a "friend" calls you at 1am for a ride thats called the "friend zone" and is the time you need to go back to sleep.

Bruhhhh, no way, if you get called out for a "ride" at 1am, she ain't just looking for a car ride.

Looks like OP friendzoned himself...Noob. You can this to the list of other mistakes OP made.

Traum 02-12-2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8726532)
Bruhhhh, no way, if you get called out for a "ride" at 1am, she ain't just looking for a car ride.

Looks like OP friendzoned himself...Noob. You can this to the list of other mistakes OP made.

The OP did not describe what happened after he drove "the friend" home. All he said was he drove home some time afterwards. A lot might have happened. :troll:

To the OP, I would not bother trying to dispute anything. The cop already cut you a break with the cheapest ticket available. Man up and get a bus pass for however long you need it.

mr_chin 02-12-2016 06:19 PM

The most significant part of your story is left out.

Did you get a hit of that putang?

Adorkami 02-12-2016 08:28 PM

If you have the money to spend you can pay $100 and try to appeal it explaining why you need to drive. Is it now protocol to write a ticket for driving contrary to restriction (3 points) rather than fail to display L or N (0 points).

corollagtSr5 02-13-2016 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adorkami (Post 8726618)
If you have the money to spend you can pay $100 and try to appeal it explaining why you need to drive. Is it now protocol to write a ticket for driving contrary to restriction (3 points) rather than fail to display L or N (0 points).

That's pretty harsh how they changed that.

ninjatune 02-14-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adorkami (Post 8726618)

Source? I've seen many occurrences lately where this is not the case.

wilderoad 02-14-2016 06:56 PM

Im really considering trying to dispute the ticket. The slight chance of winning/cop not showing seems like it might be worth it. 6-12 or whatever months it'll be is going to set my life back with a huge impact. People dispute tickets all the time right? I think it's worth the chance to take

bluejays 02-14-2016 08:21 PM

How do you figure you'd win? And cops not showing was common years ago, that's not the case anymore.

XplicitLuder 02-14-2016 08:41 PM

so were you suspended when you got pulled over this last time ? cus if they sent you the letter of suspension it means youre suspended, which means you would have been on the 4th no ? im guessing they will add more time to your current suspension. Btw going 25 over the limit is something you should be able to tell with or without your speedo working..

320icar : its possible as i got suspended for 2 driving against contrary to restrictions tickets myself. I was young and stupid and was out driving by myself when i had my L lol

Nlkko 02-14-2016 08:58 PM

You don't need our help. You already know what to do. You just wish us to tell you there's a chance for you to fight it and win. Nope.

Your repeated violation will tell the judge one thing and one thing only: You haven't learned after your mistakes

Here's what you do:
1. Eat the suspension.
2. Tell that chick she needs to make up for all the time you drove her home.
3. Hit it
4. Tell that chick the next time she call you she can get her ass to the bus stop.

ZN6 02-14-2016 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilderoad (Post 8727103)
Im really considering trying to dispute the ticket. The slight chance of winning/cop not showing seems like it might be worth it. 6-12 or whatever months it'll be is going to set my life back with a huge impact. People dispute tickets all the time right? I think it's worth the chance to take

A cop showed up to my honest to god mistake court appearance for forgetting my transit pass that I paid for a few years ago directly off my payroll when corporate passes were still available. That's a pretty petty violation and I still had a fine to pay because I owned up to not having a pass on hand that one day I took the escalator down to a few transit police waiting for me at the bottom and the fee was only reduced to $50 bucks from $173. I had proof that it comes off my pay and the physical transit pass in my hand.

Man up an eat the ticket and punishment for being in the wrong. It's a waste of the justice system's resources for you to know you are in the wrong and still dispute it in hopes that a cop will not show up. He will most definitely show up to a case where you are a repeat offender. Also, your court date is not immediate and can be up to 2 years down the road, there's also a chance you will not remember and fuck yourself over further.