REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 02-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thailand Trip Advice

Hi,

I'll be going to Thailand for the first time with my wife and I'm super excited but I keep getting information from my friends like "Seven days is not enough" and "You MUST go to Ko Samui and Phuket".

So... is seven days in Thailand enough, and can I fit Bangkok and Phuket/Ko Samui in seven days?
Advertisement
dutd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I have been to Bangkok and Phuket. Both are extremely touristy.

Give us a bit more information; what do you like to do when you travel? For me, I love to eat. Not much of a guided tour kind of guy, I like to walk around and just eat and watch shit happen.

For a couples retreat, I suggest checking out Ko Phi Phi Islands. You will need to take a boat ride there and it is very scenic and great for couples.

Also, bring Dukoral.

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
After 20+ hours of flights and layovers you will be jet lagged. Unless coming from a different Asian city. I spend a minimum 3 weeks in Thailand, but only because we have a place to live there. But in most cases I always recommend to my friends at least 2 weeks minimum. This helps recoup from Jet lag and getting used to the climate. It will be really hot..

What are you plans or priorities? Sight seeing? Shopping? White Sand beaches? Drinking parties? There's so much to do in Thailand, but if you're only spending 1 week there, I would start by figuring out what you want to accomplish the most.

If you go to an island. it will take half to day to just get settled, so take that into account if you're looking to go to different places.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

if you want a relaxing trip, choose Bangkok and either Phuket or Koh Samui.

Seven days is doable but it won't be a fun trip... it'll be a bit like Amazing Race
kenleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Don't accept any drugs transactions over there, such like phuket. They have very strict laws relating to drugs. That's what i heard but do you research. Its very humid and i find that thai people are actually really friendly. I went for for a 10 day trip. 3 days in hk and the rest in thailand. It was a very fun and interesting experience since it was my first time traveling. I loved every bit of time i spent. I hope you will enjoy it as much as i did. Oh yeah, the portion of the food that you get are very little from my point of view. Foods are dirty cheap in thailand! Drop by RCA, its a club scene and its insane! You can't compare it to vancouver. I also wanted to try eating scorpions but i never had the balls to.. lol
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Stayed in Phuket last April, did a tour where we visited different islands like phiphi, panak and hong island where we snorkeled, canoed and fed monkey's lol
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriverman View Post
I have been to Bangkok and Phuket. Both are extremely touristy.

Give us a bit more information; what do you like to do when you travel? For me, I love to eat. Not much of a guided tour kind of guy, I like to walk around and just eat and watch shit happen.

For a couples retreat, I suggest checking out Ko Phi Phi Islands. You will need to take a boat ride there and it is very scenic and great for couples.

Also, bring Dukoral.
When we go on vacation it's just eating and sightseeing, so I'm thinking temples, weekend market and if we have time, one or two days in Phuket or one of the islands, but it seems like a hassle to take another flight there just for one or two days. I'm thinking of saving it for the next time we go to Southeast Asia.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
After 20+ hours of flights and layovers you will be jet lagged. Unless coming from a different Asian city. I spend a minimum 3 weeks in Thailand, but only because we have a place to live there. But in most cases I always recommend to my friends at least 2 weeks minimum. This helps recoup from Jet lag and getting used to the climate. It will be really hot..

What are you plans or priorities? Sight seeing? Shopping? White Sand beaches? Drinking parties? There's so much to do in Thailand, but if you're only spending 1 week there, I would start by figuring out what you want to accomplish the most.

If you go to an island. it will take half to day to just get settled, so take that into account if you're looking to go to different places.
I'll be coming in from Singapore so hopefully I'll be over the jet lag by then.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
do not get lure into the ping pong show at phuket!
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:16 PM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Rather than start a new thread I'll add on to this one as I'll be heading to Thailand in 2 weeks.

Will be there for 21 days with 6 buddies, bouncing from thailand/vietnam/small islands etc. I've never "backpacked" before and was told to get a 75L bag. All my shots are up to date, and now I'm working out what to bring and whats a waste.

- Clothing wise, is it easier to just bring a few shirts/shorts/shoes/sandals/maybe a pair or 2 of pants for night life, or bring the minimum and just pick up clothes there as its less to initially lug around. Which then leads to if I'm to buy a lot of souvenirs is it best to carry them through the entire trip or just wrap them up and mail it home(if they're on the larger size)?

- Money - all our flights are already booked along with hostels in the city's we land in so we can get off a plane, head to the hostel, dump our stuff, then roam around. Any ball park idea as to how much I should bring(stupid question I know, but hope for the best haha)?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:38 PM   #11
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,336 Times in 967 Posts
wear swim pants instead of shorts. dries faster, light and washes and dries super easy. I normally don't pick up clothes in Asia, what I do is normally THROW out clothes at the end of my trip.

zero girls to impress, i just bring old navy t-shirts, old socks, old shoes, underwear, towels, toiletries and after 4 weeks, all goes into garbage. That gives me space to bring shit back.

meals in thailand is about $1-2 dollars for street food.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 04:29 AM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

3-4 pairs of board shorts/light weight shorts, 1 pair of jeans, tank tops (you can buy there cheap), 2 nice t-shirts, running shoes and sandals

that's about it....leave your underwear at home, you'll thank me later

i'm acutally heading to thailand tomorrow night from india
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #13
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,366 Times in 1,221 Posts
75L backpack for 21 days? Holy crap you either pack like a high maintenance bitch or you are bringing a tent with you. 45 L pack will do just fine. Traveled for a year with one, shipped winter clothes back home and left stuff behind.

Remember, ROLL your clothes, don't fold them.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Rather than start a new thread I'll add on to this one as I'll be heading to Thailand in 2 weeks.

Will be there for 21 days with 6 buddies, bouncing from thailand/vietnam/small islands etc. I've never "backpacked" before and was told to get a 75L bag. All my shots are up to date, and now I'm working out what to bring and whats a waste.

- Clothing wise, is it easier to just bring a few shirts/shorts/shoes/sandals/maybe a pair or 2 of pants for night life, or bring the minimum and just pick up clothes there as its less to initially lug around. Which then leads to if I'm to buy a lot of souvenirs is it best to carry them through the entire trip or just wrap them up and mail it home(if they're on the larger size)?

- Money - all our flights are already booked along with hostels in the city's we land in so we can get off a plane, head to the hostel, dump our stuff, then roam around. Any ball park idea as to how much I should bring(stupid question I know, but hope for the best haha)?

LOL Me tooo!!!
cruz-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #15
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
3-4 pairs of board shorts/light weight shorts, 1 pair of jeans, tank tops (you can buy there cheap), 2 nice t-shirts, running shoes and sandals

that's about it....leave your underwear at home, you'll thank me later

i'm acutally heading to thailand tomorrow night from india
WHAT'S wrong with wearing underwear?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #16

walk around in 35 degree weather with 75%+ humidity and ask me that after...
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

going commando is your friend in thailand

use uber if your in bangkok to get around

i rented a condo for $75cdn night on airbnb, if u have a bunch of dudes, u can split the cost, it was a new condo also with a washer so i would wash my clothes every few days

buy a bespoke suit if you have time in bangkok, universal tailors is great

3 of us spent $250cdn on food for a week in thailand, eating mostly street food, if go to the food court in terminal 21 in bangkok, its street food price but in a clean environment
Old 03-08-2016, 12:31 AM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
I remember it was so fucking hot in Thailand I was dripping sweat just standing or sitting but I overheat easily, my girlfriend kept me cool by splashing water on me every now and then lol
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:03 AM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,413 Times in 915 Posts
Is it unbearable to go outside and do stuff if it's that hot and humid ^

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #20
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
do not get lure into the ping pong show at phuket!
lies

go to the ping pong show
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #21
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
walk around in 35 degree weather with 75%+ humidity and ask me that after...

this is your friend
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:32 AM   #22

yup baby powder

fuck i missed thailand...on koh tao and loving it (yes i know this is a tourist trap version and not the real thailand, i've seen alot more of the country than this)
Old 03-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #23
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Go diving on Koh Tao!
MikeHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #24

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Any advice on Chaing Mai?

Looking to build a 3days escape while in Asia this summer.

I am thinking to rent a bigass house on AirBnB as I'd be with in-laws. But some suggestion on areas (both for and to avoid) would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #25

Thanked 2,413 Times in 915 Posts
Chiang mai is full of activities, just research what you want to do.
i'd check out midnight fried chicken which is open like 11pm - 4 am and the cowboy hat lady for food.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: