REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Car Avenue, caravenue.ca, Abbotsford BC

Just thought I’d share my experience in dealing with Car Avenue so that others may be able to make an informed decision for themselves.

I went into Caravenue.ca's physical location in Abbotsford on a Sunday as a vehicle of theirs online peaked my interest from the week before. Although it was one of the first vehicles I looked at, I was quite interested in it, but still wanted to look at other vehicles that I had made appointments for afterwards.

Rather than leave a cash deposit that I wasn’t comfortable doing (and thankfully I didn’t), I filled out a finance application with the verbal agreement that the salesman would sit on it til I called and gave him the green light to forward it onto his finance dept. (Since it’s a 3-hour round-trip for me to this dealership). The salesman himself seemed OK and I trusted him with this.

Later that Wednesday, I get a call from the finance dept. advising that my application somehow made it to their desk and my application was "accidentally" processed. BEFORE MY PERMISSION WAS GIVEN! As we had agreed upon earlier. I was furious as I did not want to apply for financing too often and have it affect my credit score or rating.

She, personally, was very apologetic and after some discussion, I advised the finance dept. representative I would since then like them to hold the vehicle until I get in touch with them Monday and I was looking at a few more vehicles over one the upcoming weekend. Her word(s) were, “Done.”

I viewed the other vehicles I had scheduled over this upcoming weekend and their vehicle was still preferred. Monday comes around and I contact this dealership to find out that the hold on the vehicle was only until Saturday? This dealership is adamant that it was Saturday that was discussed, but the reality of the situation was it was NOT what was agreed upon; it was for Monday. I was then advised someone else had already put a deposit on this vehicle and that there was a pending sale. This is now the 2nd time this dealership didn’t listen to me.

After discussing the situation with the staff that was present that day, I was told I would receive a call from either the general and/or sales manager Tuesday while on my lunch break. I did not receive such a call. I had to call the dealership myself on my own time as there was an apparent lack of courage on their part. The “general manager”, who didn’t address himself with a name, happened to answer the calls. Several calls, as there was several attempts to get this gentleman to simply listen to the customer's side of the story. Instead I was belligerently yelled at and spoken over constantly with the answer to whatever concerns I was able to utter with “There’s nothing further to discuss” and hung up each time. He invited me to come down to the dealership and discuss matters in person, but was adamant that there was nothing that could be done over the phone. I did also capture his comment that the vehicle's already been sold anyway and "too bad, so sad" for me.

One bit of information I did capture from him was that he was apparently on speaker phone with the finance manager Wednesday and claimed to have also heard that Saturday was agreed upon. I've been working in office settings for over 10+ years and can tell when I'm on speaker phone. I was not that Wednesday. Before hanging up for the last time, he ended the call with an attempt at intimidation stating they're fully prepared to defend themselves in court if need be.

I’m appalled and felt betrayed against by the general manager of this location with his lack of class, tact, reasoning and ethics. Completely unprofessional and not helping the stereotype that comes with the used car business. I refused to do any business with this location not only because of this general manager, but being betrayed earlier when my application was "accidentally" processed earlier. The general manger should take some time for personal reflection and consider whether he’s in a profession that suits him. He should also consider a refresher in basic customer service skills.

I’m just thankful I didn’t lose any money in this case and going forward I’ll take the extra step in getting dates in writing from someone as this dealership’s word seems hollow. And still, no one at this dealership has taken responsibility for how my application made its way onto the desk in the finance office. Even when this dealership first doesn’t listen to the customer and follows it up by making a blatant error, it seems their only true desire is to sacrifice ethical customer service in lieu of simply acquiring funds as soon as possible (2 additional days of waiting appears outside their capabilities in my case).

After contacting the Abbotsford police, they unfortunately can step in unless there's first further legal action on my part, however they stated they weren't surprised. They advised me that used car dealers in the region show a pattern of 'accidentally' processing loan applications; with the 'good news' afterwards that you've been approved. It's apparently a common tactic in order to make the customer feel obligated to purchase a vehicle from said dealer.

As per the Abbotsford police's advice, in order to make sure there weren't any problems to my credit score/rating because of this dealership, I found out from Equifax that they not only applied to finance me with themselves directly, but there was also a 2nd inquiry with TD Bank. As per Equifax, they appeared to be "loan shopping" for me, something that according to them, they're not suppose to do.

And after being told the vehicle's sold, it was still for sale on their site and craigslist for several weeks to follow.
Advertisement

Last edited by clsmooth; 02-21-2016 at 01:17 PM.
clsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
used car dealership = caveat emptor
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsmooth View Post
Rather than leave a cash deposit that I wasn’t comfortable doing (and thankfully I didn’t), I filled out a finance application with the verbal agreement that the salesman would sit on it til I called and gave him the green light to forward it onto his finance dept.
There's your first mistake. Once you sign that badboy the dealer is going to start shopping you around looking for the best kick-back or interest rate bump they can get. The vehicle itself almost doesn't matter at this point. I hate to say it but you can't trust salesman at used car lots. At fucking all. They are there for them, not you.

Take everything they say to you, including hello, with a massive grain of salt.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Your first clue was the requirement to leave a deposit or fill out a finance form before the test drive. Either of those equals walk out the door.

Copy of my driver's license? Fine.
My GF/Wife/Friend stays here with my car that I drove in? Fine.
Leave you my keys? No.
Leave a deposit? No.
Sign a finance form? No.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #5
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

The basics of Business Law states that verbal agreements are nothing but air until you have it down in writing. And in many cases, even when you do have it in writing, either parties can still wriggle out of the deal.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experiences there. Unfortunately, scum-bag dealerships are everywhere. I had my fair share of headache purchasing a Ford Escape way back in 2005. I put down a deposit on the car, returned on another day to purchase the car in full... only to have the general manager try to get me to finance the car through them instead. When I refused to finance, the general manager tells me the deal is off and that I will not get my deposit back. It wasn't until I raised my voice and threatened legal action before he backed off.
Gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
^ while the dealership definitely is in the wrong here, i can't help but just say that you fell for it hook line and sinker. any time you are buying a used vehicle you need to be super vigilant about stuff like this. hopefully this was a lesson learned for you, and be careful at any used car dealerships that's not reputable.

personally i only buy used cars from places like brian jessel pre-owned, company of cars, or dealerships. not just because of sleazy tactics, but i personally feel that these places at least will do a more thorough inspection of their cars, while the kingsway dealers will sell you a lemon and not think twice about it.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
I browsed their website. Man, they have a lot of inventory.

This one popped out to me

2005 BMW 7 Series 745Li Sdn -- NO ACCIDENTS! LOW KMS! LOCAL! - Inventory | | Auto dealership in Abbotsford, British Columbia

BRB, filling out finance form

Not sure what car you found that was so perfect, you put yourself through so much unnecessary stress but when it comes to used cars (and dealerships), there's tons out there. Unless it was a unique special car, there is no 'one that got away'. Just keep shopping with a patient mind.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote