REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 02-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

web design as career

Whats ur thoughts on web design as career or web development
Thinking going bcit 20 week.program learn it or red academy 3 month
Need get out this 11 to 13 hour jobs i been getting for last 12 years. Im 35. Most jobs are production worker assembler daya entry which all no future
Advertisement
mustang766 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

You seem to post a lot of these kinds of questions. Have you ever considered meeting with a recruiter/headhunter and finding a career path for yourself?

Web design/web development are both careers that you can make a lot of money in as a freelancer, but you will need the talent as well as the right connections. It's an easier field to get into as you said yourself you just need to take a 20 week program, BUT you will always need to keep studying and upgrading your skills as there are constantly advancements in the field. You will also probably need to learn a ton of other skills like UX, graphic design, etc. if you want to start your own web design business. If you can market your services right, work with the right clients and create beautiful webpages for them that have great UX, then go for it, all power to you. But don't get into the field just because you think that it can be a good career, that's not the right mindset to get into any career. I think I've told you this before, figure out what exactly you like to do and try your best to build a career around it. Don't just google what a job will pay and decide to do it because you will for sure fail that way.

Best of luck.
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
did the web development course right out of high school at BCIT, that was in 2006, didnt feel like the market was anywhere i was going to go personally, or make a lot of money at..

and now with all the create your own site sites, chinese/indian developers making pages for peanuts, etc. unless your in the top bracket, you're probably gon' be strugglin
Old 02-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
did the web development course right out of high school at BCIT, that was in 2006, didnt feel like the market was anywhere i was going to go personally, or make a lot of money at..

and now with all the create your own site sites, chinese/indian developers making pages for peanuts, etc. unless your in the top bracket, you're probably gon' be strugglin
Im.happy with 40 to.60k. The more pay the more technical n smart you got be
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
not to burst your bubble, but 40-60k is like, 4 year skilled trade apprentice type dough..

unless you're some prodigy, you're going to have to be busting your ass to make 40k in web development.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang766 View Post
Im.happy with 40 to.60k. The more pay the more technical n smart you got be
Don't kid yourself a 20week program won't land you that kind of money. As someone have said with so many build it yourself tools out there. Anyone can create a decent website. I could hire a guy in India or China to do a website for me for 1/10 on the price here. Why would I want to hire you?

You will most likely make 12 to 14/hour at most and even then is hard to find a job. Do yourself a favor if you want a career take the right program meaning it will take you at least 2+ years in BCIT you might even need 4 to 5 years for some programs.

What you need a clear head as to what you really want to do and prepare to spend the time and effort to it. Not posting on RS. Also know your own limits. That's the most important part. If you aren't the smart type maybe you will be stuck with what you do. But so what! Save up and you can still have a happy life. If you aim for too high and your don't have the ability to do it, you will never make it.

Just remember if you work hard enough put the effort in even as a data entry guy you can get promoted say supervisor, controller. Just need to put the effort. So I think you really need look deep down and feel and be honest about your own ability.

Long ago I was like you. Always blame others for me not making more money, not getting a better job. Then I started traveling saw the world with my own eyes and realize there are tons of ppl's lives worse than mine. Sure I might not make a lot money, I might not be smart, I am not good at studying, I have eye issue which prevented me from driving and only seeing 50% of what normal ppl see. However, I have a decent job, family and friends that cares. So I work hard at my job and so far I am doing pretty well myself. I feel pretty proud of where I got myself.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
God of Unce

This.

I've been doing decent as a freelancer but if you want to go 9-5 you need absolutely more than just web design (or graphic design for me).

I just got hired recently and the role includes, web, graphic, UX, and UI design skills and the past positions needed more than just graphic design. Company's aren't looking for one particular skill set anymore.

Sure you can design a website but if it looks and functions like shit, you're nothing.

The money is there if you're willing to hustle hard and keep on improving your skills. I had to learn coding on my own and in the midst of learning Javascript right now. If you don't have the urge to keep on adapting and improving, you're not gonna get anywhere.

Here's an article I read a few days ago... worth reading.

The Most Important Design Jobs Of The Future | Co.Design | business + design

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslive View Post
You seem to post a lot of these kinds of questions. Have you ever considered meeting with a recruiter/headhunter and finding a career path for yourself?

Web design/web development are both careers that you can make a lot of money in as a freelancer, but you will need the talent as well as the right connections. It's an easier field to get into as you said yourself you just need to take a 20 week program, BUT you will always need to keep studying and upgrading your skills as there are constantly advancements in the field. You will also probably need to learn a ton of other skills like UX, graphic design, etc. if you want to start your own web design business. If you can market your services right, work with the right clients and create beautiful webpages for them that have great UX, then go for it, all power to you. But don't get into the field just because you think that it can be a good career, that's not the right mindset to get into any career. I think I've told you this before, figure out what exactly you like to do and try your best to build a career around it. Don't just google what a job will pay and decide to do it because you will for sure fail that way.

Best of luck.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #8
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armind View Post
This.

I've been doing decent as a freelancer but if you want to go 9-5 you need absolutely more than just web design (or graphic design for me).

I just got hired recently and the role includes, web, graphic, UX, and UI design skills and the past positions needed more than just graphic design. Company's aren't looking for one particular skill set anymore.

Sure you can design a website but if it looks and functions like shit, you're nothing.

The money is there if you're willing to hustle hard and keep on improving your skills. I had to learn coding on my own and in the midst of learning Javascript right now. If you don't have the urge to keep on adapting and improving, you're not gonna get anywhere.

Here's an article I read a few days ago... worth reading.

The Most Important Design Jobs Of The Future | Co.Design | business + design

You didn't quote me >< but I think OP should try to do some of simple certs just to see how he likes studying and if the tech field is what he likes. A+, Network+, Security+, CCNP, CCNA etc etc can all be learn from a book and you only need to pay for test. Save him money and at least he have something to show for.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
NO, don't do it.
I'm being dead serious.

It's 2016, becoming a web designer in this era is just a risky as opening a rental VCR/DVD store.

Web designer is dead. It's no longer a career.

Back in the day, like 10 years ago...it was very typical to see web designers making $100,000 or even close to or around $200,000 a year.

Why? because small business owners used to pay $3,000+ for a professionally done website. You could charge $100-$200 just to update a website for your clients too.

Fast forward today... Weebly, WIX, Wordpress, those DIY website can create a professional grade website for much less. Like $12.50/month website maintenance fee and $20 for new account + domain name.
You do not need to know HTML code like back in the day. Also, they will offer top grade security, professional online marketing strategy advice, anything to make web designers obsolete.

Any small business owner will tell you that you're fucking idiot if you're hiring a web designer.
The only people who still hire web designers are old people who can't even use computer properly.
You can argue there might be some kind of web designing job out there for big corporations or government, but realistically, small business web design was a bread and butter for web designers back in the day.

Web designers are no longer making 6 figure salaries. You'll be lucky if you make $20k a year. Number of web designers are decreasing. There's no market demand for web designers. They're starving and struggling to find a job.

Do not take my word for it. Do your own research, talk to people who are in the industry. You will learn pretty damn quickly that web designer is a career of past.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
I wouldn't focus solely on web design, I would be more general and do UI/UX. That way you can apply it to any sort of application design, doesn't matter if it's web or mobile based.

If you like doing development work, I would highly recommend doing the Computer Systems Technology program at BCIT. It's a 2 year program though but it teaches you a lot of what you need in order to be a good developer. You don't learn just web development. You learn general computer science principles that you should be able to apply to web development.

My friend's taking the 2 year webdevelopment/design and I really don't think it's worth it. Web development is something you can learn on your own if you have the mentality to push through some of the online courses.

I think it's more important to understand the core of software development, web applications are becoming bigger (not just websites). Sure you can build any website through weebly, wix, wordpress but it's a lot harder if you want to build a web application.

I did the CST program at BCIT and have been in the industry for almost 5 years graduated in 2011. It was honestly the toughest work I've ever had to do and doesn't even come close to what I do on a day to day.

You might not be able to get 40-60k as just a web designer/developer making websites for companies. Focus on learning how applications are built both front and backend, learn about data structures, databases etc. Learn different design patterns and principles.

If you're a good developer, you'll be able to earn way more than just 40-60k.

All of these resources are also available online.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Don't kid yourself a 20week program won't land you that kind of money. As someone have said with so many build it yourself tools out there. Anyone can create a decent website. I could hire a guy in India or China to do a website for me for 1/10 on the price here. Why would I want to hire you?

You will most likely make 12 to 14/hour at most and even then is hard to find a job. Do yourself a favor if you want a career take the right program meaning it will take you at least 2+ years in BCIT you might even need 4 to 5 years for some programs.

What you need a clear head as to what you really want to do and prepare to spend the time and effort to it. Not posting on RS. Also know your own limits. That's the most important part. If you aren't the smart type maybe you will be stuck with what you do. But so what! Save up and you can still have a happy life. If you aim for too high and your don't have the ability to do it, you will never make it.

Just remember if you work hard enough put the effort in even as a data entry guy you can get promoted say supervisor, controller. Just need to put the effort. So I think you really need look deep down and feel and be honest about your own ability.

Long ago I was like you. Always blame others for me not making more money, not getting a better job. Then I started traveling saw the world with my own eyes and realize there are tons of ppl's lives worse than mine. Sure I might not make a lot money, I might not be smart, I am not good at studying, I have eye issue which prevented me from driving and only seeing 50% of what normal ppl see. However, I have a decent job, family and friends that cares. So I work hard at my job and so far I am doing pretty well myself. I feel pretty proud of where I got myself.
where did you travel to and what did you see then?

im thinking why are ppl paying 7500 for 3 month red academy school web design program if there are no jobs. i asked the instructor he said those wordpress programs arent customizable. some companies wants something custom and also with the case of outsourcing to india some companies dont want their innovations or ideas stolen. they want it remote.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #12
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
not to burst your bubble, but 40-60k is like, 4 year skilled trade apprentice type dough..

unless you're some prodigy, you're going to have to be busting your ass to make 40k in web development.
That's quite light. My girlfriend is a front end developer with a certificate from BCIT went from freelancing for herself on a pretty small scale to a small agency who paid about $50K/yr to a large multinational company she works at now where she makes about $60K/yr. TO be completely honest, she is not an aggressive career climber, these are the going wages, she is not negotiating particularly hard or does not have some incredible portfolio that is getting her extra attention.

She works primarily with HTML5 and CSS, working with CMS such as WordPress. She has some ability to play with Javascript but is definitely not qualified as a back end programmer or anything like this.

To the original poster... you need to get the terminology straight. A web designer is a 100% creative job - think graphic design for the internet. A web developer is a technical job with varying levels of coding.

Mark
Old 02-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
That's quite light. My girlfriend is a front end developer with a certificate from BCIT went from freelancing for herself on a pretty small scale to a small agency who paid about $50K/yr to a large multinational company she works at now where she makes about $60K/yr. TO be completely honest, she is not an aggressive career climber, these are the going wages, she is not negotiating particularly hard or does not have some incredible portfolio that is getting her extra attention.

She works primarily with HTML5 and CSS, working with CMS such as WordPress. She has some ability to play with Javascript but is definitely not qualified as a back end programmer or anything like this.

To the original poster... you need to get the terminology straight. A web designer is a 100% creative job - think graphic design for the internet. A web developer is a technical job with varying levels of coding.

Mark
ya sounds about right as i just googled web designer and average salary and entry level salary is pegged at approx 45k
Old 02-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
not to burst your bubble, but 40-60k is like, 4 year skilled trade apprentice type dough.
No it ain't.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #15
God of Unce

^ Doesn't mean you'll get that 45k right away.

Vancouver is cheap.

You'll be even lucky to get 40k as an entry level here.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armind View Post
^ Doesn't mean you'll get that 45k right away.

Vancouver is cheap.

You'll be even lucky to get 40k as an entry level here.
+1 also you need to have experience and throw yourself out there and get reference. Honestly with how OP is I doubt he can do that. Just coz you have skills doesn't mean ppl will hire you.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:21 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Lots of half truths in this thread. Don't need to know HTML blah blah blah Weebly, Wordpress ruling the world. Sure it might work for mom and pop shops that only need a cookie cutter site. But if you need to do any type of custom work which is what proves your value, good luck not knowing the basics. In general, you can do okay in this field as long as you're not a one trick pony.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Lots of half truths in this thread. Don't need to know HTML blah blah blah Weebly, Wordpress ruling the world. Sure it might work for mom and pop shops that only need a cookie cutter site. But if you need to do any type of custom work which is what proves your value, good luck not knowing the basics. In general, you can do okay in this field as long as you're not a one trick pony.
I never said there's no need for web developer, or even software engineer.

My point was, back in the day, web designers had this "bread and butter" market where they could make easy few grand by making a website for small business. Now, you do not have that option. Trust me, it was huge.

If your ambition is solely on getting a job at Amazon, eBay, TD Canada Trust, etc...for online security and development, sure there are some jobs available for you.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #19

Is not about the jobs is about the OP ability and personality. He keeps posting these same type of post every few weeks asking the same questions with a different career path. Then he either stops responding or give some lame excuse.

He doesn't want help he wants money to magically appear in his bank account while he sits at his mom's basement posting on RS. That's all he is. No amount advice we give can help him. He wants to do something super easy, doesn't need to put in effort and make loads and loads of cash.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #20
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
have you guys ever wondered if Joe45's real objective is to stir up some discussion?

Maybe Joe45 is an admin that wants people to participate?

/tinfoilhaton

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #21
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Maybe Joe45 is an admin that wants people to participate?
False. Masquerading as Timpo is already a full-team job.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #22
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
you mean when they complete their 4 year apprenticeship and are an accredited JMan right?

all the web designers i know are "starving artists" trying to make it. 1 i know wasn't but eventually got laid off and went in to 3D modelling.

i see it similar to video game design. sounds like a fun and exciting career but hard to get in to and be successful at IMO.

you should be able to find work at $15/hr from a generic office job no? if not get in to a trade and get on the job training while making money

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #23

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
I did this for a company for 7 years and still do things on occasion for them. For a while it was worth while, now not so much. The extra income on the side is nice but very competitive market as there will always be someone cheaper than you.

Look into a labour job if you want to make money like that. When I did construction it was very common to make that or more a year, but given you dont have any specific education and your 35 it is going to be hard for an employer to pay you more than the 18 year old kid who has more working years left and can do the same job you can.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
This guy haven't even tired the course yet and you guys are already doubting him. Anyone with a type of interest and a goal can achieve anything. Don't let these people bring you down. Passion mix with self discipline can get you there mustang.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #25

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
This guy haven't even tired the course yet and you guys are already doubting him. Anyone with a type of interest and a goal can achieve anything. Don't let these people bring you down. Passion mix with self discipline can get you there mustang.
Hes been posting to RS about this kind of thing for literally years (formerly under Joe45). Its the same posts over and over and never takes the advice even when very sound.

The doubting is in the fact that he keeps doing the same thing and yet expects a different result.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70776...ake-money.html

http://www.revscene.net/forums/707621-used-new.html

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70396...work-them.html

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote