REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
BC Premier Christy Clark spends half million $ on private jets

BC Premier Christy Clark criticized for spending more than half-million dollars on private jets
By Jon Azpiri
Online News Producer Global News

VIDEO: Global Player

BC Premier Christy Clark criticized for spending more than half-million dollars on private jets - BC | Globalnews.ca

The rich and famous love their private jets. And it turns out, so does B.C. Premier Christy Clark.

The premier has dropped more than a half-million dollars on private planes in the past five years.

“[With] this premier we’ve seen a significant increase in the use of private jets and, frankly, at a time when she’s quite happy to claw back bus passes from people on disability,” NDP opposition house leader Mike Farnworth said.

According to Freedom of Information documents obtained by journalist Bob Mackin (which can be viewed here and here), many of the flights were between Vancouver and Kelowna, where Clark is the MLA for Westside-Kelowna.

“Seventeen times she’s gone on chartered jets to Kelowna since the summer of 2013. Almost of all of those trips, except for two, were same-day trips,” Mackin said.

Clark faced criticism for her spending in 2012 when she defended credit card bills for pricey restaurant meals and expensive hotels.

Past premiers, including Gordon Campbell, have used private jets. Campbell’s tab was never disclosed.

Then there was Alberta Premier Alison Redford. Her massive spending on private jets helped lead to her downfall.

“When premiers get out of touch and develop what you might call Imperial Premier Syndrome,” Farnworth said. “You see what happened in Alberta with Alison Redford. It sounds like from the amount of private jets the premier is taking here that we’re getting a bit of Imperial Premier Syndrome. Maybe that’s a good reason for Air Christy to be grounded.”

Global News requested a comment from the premier about her private jet usage, but did not receive a response prior to deadline.
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

When you support the genocide of the Palestinians, specially during a war, youre going places in Canada.
"Premier Christy Clark says B.C. can be counted as friend of Israel"
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

To be honest this is an arbitrary, irrelevant number when there's no comparison. They mention previous Premier Gordon Campbell also used private jets, buy they don't say how much he spent.

I would assume all Premiers need to travel a lot, and quickly. Spending 500 million on private jets would only be an issue if she spent significantly more than previous Premiers, or used them for inappropriate purposes for a politician.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #4

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
lol 100k a year on jets? big fucking deal. you expect her to spend half her day getting to her riding from victoria? she has staff and security too so its not like taking a commercial flight would be much cheaper anyway
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
To be honest this is an arbitrary, irrelevant number when there's no comparison. They mention previous Premier Gordon Campbell also used private jets, buy they don't say how much he spent.

I would assume all Premiers need to travel a lot, and quickly. Spending 500 million on private jets would only be an issue if she spent significantly more than previous Premiers, or used them for inappropriate purposes for a politician.
looks like money was transferred from the reading comprehension ministry to private jets
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
for a normal person that's a huge expense, her opportunity cost is different from an average 9 to 5.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #7
I HERP TO YOU DERP

her opportunity cost is 0 because all she does is photo ops
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
lol 100k a year on jets? big fucking deal. you expect her to spend half her day getting to her riding from victoria? she has staff and security too so its not like taking a commercial flight would be much cheaper anyway
In the Tyee link referenced by the Global link, it states that she spent $65k on 17 chartered flights between Oct 2013 and Nov 2015, so roughly 2 years since she became the Kelowna MLA.

Seems to me that she's significantly reduced her chartered flights if that's true.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
When you support the genocide of the Palestinians, specially during a war, youre going places in Canada.
Fuck the Palestinians. I hope every BC dollar goes towards the support of Israel, the only first world nation in the middle East.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:29 AM   #10
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Standard business expense. Wouldn't even call these special perks.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:00 AM   #11
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post

Old 02-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
This is pretty standard and also, the idea of a private jet alludes the imagery of luxury and wealth which is unlikely in this case. Imagine if she took commercial flights each and every time? Then maybe the public would have something to say.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #13
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
fucking media trying to blow dumb shit like this up, in an attempt to what, discredit her? are the media outlets who report this type of shit partisan?

Same goes with the idiotic reporting of those two fucks who tried to blow up parliment on canada day, john nuttal or whatever the fuck his name is

media comes out "Can you beleive the RCMP charged 900k in overtime during the investigation of this case?"

these people were trying to kill HUNDREDS OF FUCKING PEOPLE.. 900k in overtime police work to foil their plan? is that too much to save innocent lives? jesus fuck
Old 02-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
fucking media trying to blow dumb shit like this up, in an attempt to what, discredit her? are the media outlets who report this type of shit partisan?

Same goes with the idiotic reporting of those two fucks who tried to blow up parliment on canada day, john nuttal or whatever the fuck his name is

media comes out "Can you beleive the RCMP charged 900k in overtime during the investigation of this case?"

these people were trying to kill HUNDREDS OF FUCKING PEOPLE.. 900k in overtime police work to foil their plan? is that too much to save innocent lives? jesus fuck
what plan? those two crackheads didnt have a plan until the RCMP made one for them.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #15
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
If you can be easily coerced to plant bombs to kill innocent people, you should be in jail at a minimum.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #16

theres plenty of strung out crackheads who you could convince to plant a bomb with over $1 million to spend and 240 fucking cops working on it. better question is if that was a good use of surrey RCMP resources considering all the crime challenges surrey faces.

in the end their conviction was set aside and will likely be squashed which is exactly what prosecutors told the RCMP from the get go. so its a complete waste of time and money
This post thanked by: