REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 02-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
I don't get it

Macbook Suggestion

I am in the middle of purchasing a Macbook, as I don't want to use a desktop anymore.. I went into Apple today and browsed at the different specs and felt the differences between the AIR + PRO.. There's PROS & CONS for both however I am seeking out to more tech savvy people with more knowledge to see which is best suited for me.

I just want the Macbook for surfing web, occasional movie streaming + youtube and Skype functionality. * I also use iPhone so it will be easier to sync + function

I like the AIR because, its light , cheaper , but I feel if I don't upgrade the specs a bit I am " missing out " however I don't know if it would show much significant difference.

The PRO was recommended because the associate at Apple Metrotown said if I was to upgrade the Macbook Air, it would be the same cost approx $50 difference, and I would get RETINA DISPLAY + BUILT IN HDMI PORT.

I have made a comparison just for refrence
Please let me know what you guys think in terms of the SPECS , I5 VS I7 , RETINA DISPLAY VS REGULAR .. I did see the difference in the PRO, however I can't justify the $500 difference, I am not on a budget.. I just want the best bang for buck for my personal preference and usage of the laptop.

Thx fellow revsceners!

Advertisement

Last edited by swiftshift; 02-27-2016 at 09:16 PM.
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
33% more for no real benefit given your needs.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
God of Unce

I'd go pro for the retina display.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

What do you use the HDMI port for? Look into the Apple TV too maybe? Just a suggestion.
MikeHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:03 AM   #5
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHB View Post
What do you use the HDMI port for? Look into the Apple TV too maybe? Just a suggestion.
its very convenient to be able to just connect to a TV and play movies as a 2nd screen, and no u cannot plug an apple tv into the hdmi port as its an output port not input
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Wait fo the refresh next month before deciding if you want an Air or Pro.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Is your desktop a PC? Have you considered Dell's XPS 13 or XPS 15?
Old 02-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
The macbook air hasn't had any substantial changes over the past few years so I'd personally stay away from it. How about the 12" retina macbook? It's got the portability of the air and a retina display.

The new model is right around the corner and is rumoured to be 17% faster in CPU performance and 41% faster GPU performance
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Wait fo the refresh next month before deciding if you want an Air or Pro.
Does this mean a newer model will be coming out?
and WILL the starting prices of the base models be the same or increased?
I picked up the pro today.. but if a newer one is coming out in a month or so I could wait and if it will be the same price I would rather have the higher performance for sure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
The macbook air hasn't had any substantial changes over the past few years so I'd personally stay away from it. How about the 12" retina macbook? It's got the portability of the air and a retina display.

The new model is right around the corner and is rumoured to be 17% faster in CPU performance and 41% faster GPU performance
Same reason to the post by Razor Ramon mentioned above...

Thanks for all your input guys!
Old 02-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #10
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftshift View Post
Does this mean a newer model will be coming out?
and WILL the starting prices of the base models be the same or increased?
I picked up the pro today.. but if a newer one is coming out in a month or so I could wait and if it will be the same price I would rather have the higher performance for sure..

Same reason to the post by Razor Ramon mentioned above...

Thanks for all your input guys!
Just wait. All the recent updates in the past year were March to May for the Macbooks.

iPhone, iPad, Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy

You'll regret buying a piece of technology already a year behind.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #11
I don't get it

Quote:
Just wait. All the recent updates in the past year were March to May for the Macbooks.

iPhone, iPad, Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy

You'll regret buying a piece of technology already a year behind.
Thanks, good thing there is a 14 day return policy even if the box is opened..
I guess I will return it and wait until the next release

Hence;

^ thanks for that again
Old 02-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #12
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Is your desktop a PC? Have you considered Dell's XPS 13 or XPS 15?
I currently use PC, but I'm starting to shift all my products to Apple as its easier to Sync.
So I did come to a decision, I chose the MACBOOK PRO, however based on the last few posts.. I may have to return it and wait for the next newer model as its going to be 17% and 41% CPU + GPU improved..
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
I am in the middle of purchasing a Macbook, as I don't want to use a desktop anymore.. I went into Apple today and browsed at the different specs and felt the differences between the AIR + PRO.. There's PROS & CONS for both however I am seeking out to more tech savvy people with more knowledge to see which is best suited for me.

I just want the Macbook for surfing web, occasional movie streaming + youtube and Skype functionality. * I also use iPhone so it will be easier to sync + function

I like the AIR because, its light , cheaper , but I feel if I don't upgrade the specs a bit I am " missing out " however I don't know if it would show much significant difference.

The PRO was recommended because the associate at Apple Metrotown said if I was to upgrade the Macbook Air, it would be the same cost approx $50 difference, and I would get RETINA DISPLAY + BUILT IN HDMI PORT.

I have made a comparison just for refrence
Please let me know what you guys think in terms of the SPECS , I5 VS I7 , RETINA DISPLAY VS REGULAR .. I did see the difference in the PRO, however I can't justify the $500 difference, I am not on a budget.. I just want the best bang for buck for my personal preference and usage of the laptop.

Thx fellow revsceners!

If you want best bang for buck, then you shouldn't be looking at apple IMO.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:44 PM   #14
I don't get it

Skylake Mac Notebooks May See Staggered Launch in 2016, Led by MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro - Mac Rumors

Given that Skylake chips have been announced for both the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro, there does not appear to be any reason for Apple to stagger the release of its notebooks this year. But, perhaps in line with its 2015 release cycle, Apple may plan to give the current 15-inch MacBook Pro a longer shelf life before replacing it.

Guess that means they won't make any substantial changes to the Pro I currently have..
Old 02-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

The HDMI issue isn't really an issue. I have a 2015 air and I just use the mini hdimi to hdmi adapter. Got it at best buy for like 20 bucks. I would definitely look into getting the pro, my sister just got the 2016 pro with retina and the display is incredible, but since you're only using the macbook for pretty basic tasks i'm not too sure the huge jump in price will be all that worth it.

www.instagram.com/yourdigitalrealtor
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I have an iPhone, Android phone, PC and Mac. I see lots of pro's and con's for each platform but 'syncing' problems isn't something I run into. Off the top of my head, iMessages (which can get out of sync on desktop) and iCloud photos is one advantage in having an iPhone and Macbook... but why does OP need to sync stuff? The rest is either all iTunes or cloud anyways. My contacts are synced to Google and iCloud so all my phones and computers have the same address book... etc.

OP isn't doing anything fancy so just buy the cheapest Air or wait to see if something new comes out in March.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #17
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
I have an iPhone, Android phone, PC and Mac. I see lots of pro's and con's for each platform but 'syncing' problems isn't something I run into. Off the top of my head, iMessages (which can get out of sync on desktop) and iCloud photos is one advantage in having an iPhone and Macbook... but why does OP need to sync stuff? The rest is either all iTunes or cloud anyways. My contacts are synced to Google and iCloud so all my phones and computers have the same address book... etc.

OP isn't doing anything fancy so just buy the cheapest Air or wait to see if something new comes out in March.
Yes, exactly this
Im debating if I should just return my Macbook Pro now and wait and see if the spring release collection is better ..
Thoughts?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #18
Say! Say! Say!

Return it and wait. A few weeks isn't going to kill you.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #19
I don't get it

Quote:
Return it and wait. A few weeks isn't going to kill you.
Will do, thanks greatly to everyone for their input !
When will I know it is released..
Old 02-29-2016, 08:54 PM   #20
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
its very convenient to be able to just connect to a TV and play movies as a 2nd screen, and no u cannot plug an apple tv into the hdmi port as its an output port not input
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslive View Post
The HDMI issue isn't really an issue. I have a 2015 air and I just use the mini hdimi to hdmi adapter. Got it at best buy for like 20 bucks. I would definitely look into getting the pro, my sister just got the 2016 pro with retina and the display is incredible, but since you're only using the macbook for pretty basic tasks i'm not too sure the huge jump in price will be all that worth it.
dont forget, you could always just use a chromecast as well. i really hate having my macbook tethered to something when it could just as easily be streamed.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #21
I don't get it

/waiting for the release..
Purchased all my accessories online, BUT NO MAC
Old 03-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #22
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
/waiting for the release..
Purchased all my accessories online, BUT NO MAC
Should have waited there coming out with a new connector.

Spoiler!
Old 03-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #23
I don't get it

Time to re-vamp this thread,
Apple MacBook Pro 2016 To Debut on March 21 Along With 9.7-inch iPad Pro and iPhone 5se; Rumored Specs, Features Specified : Trending News : Lawyer Herald

Came across this article..
Hopefully the new 15 inch Macbook Pro's will be the same dimensions as I bought a case for it already LOL